Search for content in message boards

Franklin, John, Rufus, William from Cherokee NC to Fulton(Rome)GA and Randolph Co AL

Franklin, John, Rufus, William from Cherokee NC to Fulton(Rome)GA and Randolph Co AL

Posted: 19 Apr 2003 5:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GRIFFIN
AM interested in finding information on these possibly related Griffins who moved from Cherokee NC to Rome,Fulton Co GA and Randolph Co AL. Rufus is my line.

Griffin, Franklin, Pvt., Co. H, age 19, EN 10/29/64, Rome, GA, born Spartanburg Dist., SC, farmer, died 2/10/65 in Post Hospital at Huntsville, AL of smallpox.

Griffin, John, Pvt., Co. A, age 18, EN & MI 9/30/64, Rome, GA, born Cherokee Co., AL, farmer, deserted 4/15/65 at Lincolnton, NC, charges of desertion removed 7/27/89 and
discharge issued as of 5/15/65.

Griffin, Rufus M., Pvt., Co. K, age 19, EN 12/6/63, Camp Davies, MS, born Cherokee Co., NC, farmer, traveled 300 miles from his home in Randolph Co., AL to Camp Davies, MS
to enlist, MO 7/19/65, Nashville, TN.

Griffin, William, Pvt., Co. E, in USA General Field Hospital at Bridgeport, AL April & June 1864, returned to duty 6/18/64.*

John Griffin
405 377-3666
1108 S Stanley St.
Stillwater OK
jhg60 at hotmail.com

Re: Franklin, John, Rufus, William from Cherokee NC to Fulton(Rome)GA and Randolph Co AL

Posted: 1 Mar 2005 10:12PM GMT
am searching for info on a franklin griffin born abt 1845 in prob randolph cty ga. married a sarah emily sinquefield of same cty on feb 8, 1866 in randolph. 1870 ga census lists wife's family name as sinkfield. sarah's family was benjamin sinquefield & selathia cobb who was born 12-19-1824 & married abt 1845 in ga. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks nancy

Re: Franklin, John, Rufus, William from Cherokee NC to Fulton(Rome)GA and Randolph Co AL

Posted: 2 Mar 2005 1:39AM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2005 4:48PM GMT
It is possible that the Franklin you are writing about is also related to my Franklin or is the same person. All I have on him is his war record found online along with the others. His service record might have some valuable information. Rufus M Griffin is my line and it had a lot of great information on him.
john jhg60 at hotmail.com

Posted: 2 Mar 2005 8:46PM GMT
thanks for replying. i sent an email to your email address you listed, but it was returned, so i shall reply here. would like to exchange info w/you if you wouldn't mind. have not come across a rufus yet. how would he be related? question pls, how can you tell from the civil war listings which person is the one you want? my ggggrandfather - joseph griffin would have been old enough to have served in the war & there are a gazillion joseph griffins listed. i pretty much have the census records down pat, but after that stuff gets very hazy. would appreciate some tips on how to locate these mysterious griffins of mine. feel free to email me at home. thanks nancy williams

Posted: 2 Mar 2005 11:52PM GMT
I scoured the www with an exact phrase search of Rufus M Griffin where I found a website listing him as a member of two different military units. Lucky for me they also listed other birth information for the other Griffins in the same unit.

Also contact NARA National Archives Records Administration. They can send you a form in triplicate that you fill out with what you know about Joseph and they can provide copies of some federal and some confederate records. My guess is that with a name like Joseph you gotta have at least a clue to something unique about him, middle initial, wife, state of enlistment etc.

States may also list pension applications from veterans. Check the library for these. I have seen some census records that mention whether or not a person was a veteran.
Good luck,
John
jhg60 @ hotmail.com

Posted: 3 Mar 2005 3:35PM GMT
thanks for the tips, i will try them asap. can you tell me about your franklin? what makes you say they may be kin or even one in the same? nancy

Posted: 5 Mar 2005 10:01PM GMT
Well I started with family memebrs telling me that Emma Jane Griffin and William Thomas Griffin were cousins...then found more...

L.F. Griffin is supposed to be Lucius Franklin Griffin according to Familysearch.com. A man named Will Howard out of S Texas sent this in but all efforts to contact him have failed. So I don't know where this information came from or how accurate it is.

Apparaently no one likes to try to spell Lucius or Lucias so they just called him L F. I found a butchered up name on one census that looks kinda like Louscious with smudches in the middle. I found him listed on one website as a Musician in the civil war (usually very young).

I also found him on a census with Ruffus M Griffin as a very youn boy listed as L F or L T (very hard to read).

Also Rufus and LF Griffin also lived in Hemstead Co ARK for a period before both moved to Texas.

Also got this text of a not from LF's mother: mother Emily Griffin. In a note, she said, "Sir, my son L.F. Griffin had taken a notion to marry, he is 17 years old, his father is dead. I am the only parent. I, therefore, authorize you to let him have a marriage license to marry Mrs. Manerva Roper." Signed Emily Griffin.

Here is my web page about L F Griffin. It gets somewhat confusing and needs to be updated

john JHG60 at hotmail.com

Posted: 7 Mar 2005 2:29AM GMT
thanks for sharing the info. i'm not sure any of the names will fit into my lines, but i love hearing the stories. nancy williams
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions