Search for content in message boards

Looking for John (Johnny) HARLAM or DOLLAR, born Georgia 1939/40

Looking for John (Johnny) HARLAM or DOLLAR, born Georgia 1939/40

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 10:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Nov 2012 1:54PM GMT
Surnames: Harlam ,Bruce, Dollar
I am looking for my mom's only first cousin, John or Johnny Dollar / Harlam. His biological Dad was James L. Harlam. His biological mother was Trella L. ("Sis") Bruce. His stepfather was Hoyt Dollar. Hoyt died in 1955, when John was only about 15 or 16. "Sis" died in 1956. All my Mom knows is that John went to California afterwards.

According to the 1940 census, at that time "Sis" and John were living with her parents. John was only 10 months old. His bio Dad, James L. Harlam, was living in 1940 in Long Beach, California. Based on this information, I'm guessing that, 16 or so years later, John went to California after the death of his mom and stepdad to live with his biological father.

My mother, Marie, would like to find her only first cousin. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gwen

Re: Looking for John (Johnny) Harlam or Dollar, born Georgia 1939/40

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 2:00AM GMT
Classification: Census
Edited: 3 Nov 2012 1:55PM GMT
Surnames: Bruce ,Mashburn
The 1940 Census does not agree with what you have put down here

1940 United States Federal Census about James L Harlam
Name: James L Harlam
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1912
Race: White
Birthplace: Georgia
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Son-in-law
Home in 1940: Atlanta, Fulton, Georgia
View Map
Street: Crew St SW
House Number: 625
Inferred Residence in 1935: Long Prairie, California
Residence in 1935: Long Prairie, California
Sheet Number: 2B
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Willie L Bruce 48
Clara C Bruce 44
Emma D Bruce 21
Doss Bruce 16
Clara M Bruce 1
James L Harlam 28
Truella L Harlam 19
Johnny W Harlam 10/12
Catherine Mashburn 71

Re: Looking for John (Johnny) HARLAM or DOLLAR, born Georgia 1939/40

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 3:24AM GMT
I think that you mean his biological father was living in California in 1950 or 1960? not 1940

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 3:52AM GMT
Is the US Census the only place you've seen James and John's last name? Have you seen it dccumented in any other records?

I'm asking because it could be misspelled in the census -- It could be HARLEM or HARLAN...

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 10:47PM GMT
Yes, this is the only place I have seen James and John's last name. I did not even know the name of John's biological father until the 1940 census came out. I just knew that his stepfather, Hoyt Dollar, was not his biological father. And yes, I already thought about the fact that Harlam might be a misspelling. I do plan to look for the marriage certificate for James Harlam and Truella Bruce.

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 10:51PM GMT
Well I did cite the wrong year of 1940; I did this absentmindedly because I was looking at the 1940 census at the time. However, what I was actually referring to was columns 17, 18, and 19 of the 1940 census. These columns indicate that James Harlam was living in Long Beach, CA in 1935. That's why I think he may have gone back there after his marriage to Truella disintegrated, and why John may have followed him there after John's mother and stepfather died.

Thanks for your replies.

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 12:13AM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2012 12:26AM GMT
So you're thinking John/Johnny went to Long Beach c. 1956 or so?

You might be able to find him or his father in a city directory. I found free Long Beach directories online -- til 1969 at this library site:
http://encore.lbpl.org/iii/cpro/app

BUT the website is NOT very user-friendly.

I looked at 1935 to see if I could find the Harlams. I downloaded the file, but received no message re: downloading. Quite a while later, the directory popped up in a new window.

I did not find the Harlams in that, though.

You may have better luck in searching these directories -- just be patient, though! :) I found the site confusing.

Note: The website search feature (top right) does NOT search within the directories. I tried it with some basic names and it doesn't work. :(

Once you download the pdf, then you can search within the directory -- and that seems to work.

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 2:34AM GMT
Do you know where and when his grandfather Wiley Bruce died? His obituary might mention John...

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 3:25AM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2012 3:34AM GMT
I found a clue.

In the 1941 Atlanta City Directory, p. 321 (at ancestry.com)

HARLAN
---Trilla Mrs waiter r625 Crew st SW

I know this is Trella because the address is her parents' house. They are also in the directory.

This implies that James is already gone by 1941.

The Jas M Harlan (wife Louise) listed is NOT her husband because he's also in the 1938 and 1939 directories as an insurance manager. Trella's husband is a house painter.
I'll keep looking...

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 5:09PM GMT
Yes, I do. In fact, about three years ago my Mom, her two living brothers, and myself paid for monuments to be placed on Wylie's and Clara's graves. I don't think Wylie had an obit; they were very poor people who didn't give a fig about such niceties. But even if he did, I doubt it would mention James. Trella had remarried Hoyt Dollar long before Wylie died, and John had taken Hoyt's surname (legally or otherwise). The family never spoke about John's bioDad. All my mother knows is that Hoyt was not John's bioDad. But thanks for the suggestion!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions