Search for content in message boards

SUGAR PLANTATIONS

SUGAR PLANTATIONS

Posted: 10 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: GOULD, GOOLD, MUNSON, SPARKS, BIRDSALL
Does anyone know if there is any where online that would list the owners of the sugar plantations in Assumption Parish? Or any place with the histories of the various plantations? I know the Munson family was associated with Glenwood Plantation. I would like to know more about the plantations in the south --- my knowledge of them is very little as I was born & still live in MI.Thanks for any help.

Re: SUGAR PLANTATIONS

Posted: 18 Jul 2001 6:26AM GMT
Edited: 25 Aug 2001 1:30AM GMT

Posted: 7 Oct 2001 5:55PM GMT
Edited: 2 Nov 2002 1:51AM GMT
Surnames: Beasley
I don't know of any sources online for the sugar plantations of Assumption Parish but I have the names of many, as well as a copy of a book that gives detailed information on about 50-75 plantaions along Bayou Lafourche in Assumption Parish. My family owns 3 sugar plantations and I have researched them. One is Enola owned by the Munson family( brother of the owner of Glenwood).I have some Munson genealogy. I have photos (or photos of paintings) of several of the old homes, now gone, including Enola, Wildwood, Little Texas, Ratcliff.

lmtroxler (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 2001 7:28PM GMT
my husbands father Harry Troxler, said that he remembers being born and raised on a plantation, he called it Greenwood and the family lost it in the 1930's ?? thats all he knows, evidentally they never spoke about it.

i am trying to locate information on it and photos that may have been taken of it. i know he was born in Taft LA and now lives in Thibodaux. i dont know any more than that as i am not from LA i dont know the parishes well.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 3 Jun 2002 4:39AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2003 1:46AM GMT
My father, Ernest Bellanger, born in 1931, tells me he worked on the Little Texas Plantation. I would like to find out more information about it.Any info would be helpful.

Posted: 19 Jun 2002 4:57AM GMT
I have a photo of Little Texas I can mail you and some information on the Barton family who owned the plantaton as well as built the home about 1890's. The house was torn down or burned down in th 1960's. There are Barton descendents who grew up in the house around the 1930's who are still alive. I have Phillis Barton Block's email if you are interested in contacting her. My ggrandfather was overseer there in the 1890's.

Posted: 19 Jun 2002 10:50PM GMT
Yes, I would be very interested in the photo and info. My address is Mary Deidrich 19 Tulip Drive Gretna, LA 70053. My father worked there and I would like to know all I can about the place.
Any and all info is greatly appreciated.Please send email address on Ms. Block.
Thanks

Posted: 19 Jun 2002 11:32PM GMT
Mary, I will try to get it copied and out to you this weekend, including Phillis's email. Thanks

Posted: 19 Jun 2002 11:53PM GMT
Thanks so much. Let me know if I owe you any money.

Posted: 19 Jun 2002 11:56PM GMT
Edited: 29 Apr 2003 4:50AM GMT
Surnames: MUNSON,GOULD,KITTREDGE,JONES,SPARKS,BIRDSALL
Renee,
Do you have any information on Woodlawn Plantation. I know it burned down but do you know it's history and when it burned down? A gentleman by the name of Van Vives who is a descendant of Don Juan Vives emailed me asking about this. He said his father and uncle were raised by Alonzo and Elodie Tete Munson after Elodies's sister died. He said they lived on Woodlawn Plantation. Can you shed any light on this plantation?
Thanks Ruth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions