Search for content in message boards

Walter Bailey 1760

Walter Bailey 1760

Posted: 22 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Aug 2004 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: Bailey, Converse
WALTER BAILEY 1760

I have been researching Walter Bailey whose Will was proved in 1760 in Brunswick. Walter was the son of Ansolme Bailey. In his Will he identified his 5 children - William, Robert, Lucy, Faith, and Elizabeth - and his wife Elizabeth. In this same time period a William Bailey and Robert Bailey were land owners in Brunswick. The presumption has been this Robert and this William were WalterÂ’s children. My research casts doubt on that.

Walter Bailey never owned land in Brunswick, his land holdings were primarily in Surry, Sussex and Isle of Wight counties. I believe WalterÂ’s death in Brunswick was a fluke. The same day he wrote his Will his daughter Lucy married Benjamin Pennington of southeast Brunswick, possibly near Split. I conjecture Walter came to Brunswick for his daughterÂ’s wedding became sick or was in bad health, he was in his late 70's, and saw his days coming to an end and immediately wrote his Will. Had he not been there for wedding I assume his Will would have been written in Surry. His son Robert I think lived and died in Southampton and was not in Brunswick. The Robert in Southampton in his Will identified one of his children as Walter. The name Walter and Bailey in this time period was only used elsewhere in Elizabeth City by Baileys there. WalterÂ’s daughter Faith I think I also found in Southampton married to James Jones. WalterÂ’s Will indicated she was married to a Jones but not where. WalterÂ’s children William and Elizabeth I have not been able to find yet but expect they are in Surry-Sussex-Isle of Wight-Southampton. I also have not been able yet to find what happened to WalterÂ’s wife Elizabeth.

The Robert in Brunswick that may have been thought to have been WalterÂ’s son I have first appearing in Brunswick records in 1751 and last in 1793. I have had no luck tracing him. He had land in proximity to a John Bailey. Both lived along the Meherrin River southwest of Lawrenceville. In 1762 he and John jointly witnessed a land transaction. They may have been related. Robert Bailey was married to a Frances and JohnÂ’s wife was Amy. There are marriage records for Robert's daughters. The third Bailey William, lived south of the Meherrin River but in same area as Robert and John. WilliamÂ’s wife was Agnes. I have not been able to trace him. A William Bailey served from Brunswick in the Revolutionary War. This is probably that person.

There were some other Baileys in northern Brunswick. These Baileys I believe were related to the Arthur Bailey family. The most prominent of these was Henry Bailey married to Wilmoth Wyatt. Henry was a son of Edward Bailey who was a son of Arthur Bailey the family patriarch.

I invite comments and input anyone may have. The data on Walter and his descendants will be published in the “Descendants of Ansolme Bailey” later this year by Donna Beers, “http://www.angelfire.com/mo/BaileyInfoÂ;”.

Benjamin Pennington marriage date

Posted: 23 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Aug 2004 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: Bailey, Converse
Data Revision 1.

According to a Pennington researcher Benjamin and Lucy must have married about 1750. The marriage date in Fothergill’s book of Brunswick marriages is not marriage date for Benjamin and Lucy but date it is known Benjamin and Lucy were married which was taken from Walter Bailey’s Will and is the date Walter wrote his Will. Walter died 9 or so years after they had wed not when they wed.

Re: Walter Bailey 1760

Posted: 13 Sep 2001 8:18PM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2003 11:16PM GMT
Surnames: bailey
Hi! I have William Bailey,early 1700's Brunswick Co.,with the following children: 1.Warren b,1770, died 1833 Bath Co Ky, married Mary Rice. 2.John, b 1756/57, married1.Sarah Tatum ,Brunswick Co, Va abt. 1778 & 2. Ann Jane Williams,about 1800 in Bath Co Ky. 3. William b,1759,married Sarah England, 1801 in Montgomery Co., Ky & d,1833, Bath Co Ky. 4.Mary Bailey, b 1758,Virginia, married 3-28-1781 Randolph Yarbrough,died ? Bath or Fleming Co Ky. Randall born 1756 & died 7-27-1804 in Bath or Fleming Co Ky. 5.Lucy Bailey b, 1776, Va, married Wm. Boyd.6. Robert Bailey Born before 1775 & died 1819 Bath Co Ky. He married Ann Nancy Barnes & she died 1828 in Bath Co Ky. I have a lot more info ,as this is my line, so if you think I can help you, please e-mail me. Thanks Sharon Karns

Re: Walter Bailey 1760

Posted: 26 Mar 2002 6:01PM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2005 10:56PM GMT
Randolph Yarbrough married to Mary Bailey is my gggg-grandfather. Do you have any info about his parents or where he was born? I believe it was in the Brunswick area but don't know for sure.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions