Search for content in message boards

Taylor Orphan Asylum-Taylor Avenue Orphanage

Taylor Orphan Asylum-Taylor Avenue Orphanage

Posted: 13 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Feb 2006 8:01PM GMT
My grandmother, Nellie Hamilton Schaffer, was raised at Taylor Orphan Asylum in Racine. She later went back to work at Taylor Avenue Orphanage as Supervisor of girls. Does anyone have stories about the Orphanage back in the late 1800's? Also, if there is any stories about my Grandmother who worked there and retired in 1955? My grandmother's sister Alice and her two brothers, Bill and George were also at the orphanage. Nellie Hamilton Schaffer was born on May 20, 1879. She died in Racine Nov.24, 1981.

Taylor Orphanage

Posted: 17 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 12:21PM GMT
Surnames: Clausen, Gustafson, Pedersen, Sorensen, Helding
Taylor Home is still in existence at the same locationin Racine County WI, although it is no longer an orphanage. The Home celebrates its 100th anniversary in the early 1990's and published an attractive brochure detailing the history. You might trying to contact the Racine Heritage Museum, 701 Main St. Racine, WI 53403 262-636-3926 or Taylor Home and Education Center, 3131 Taylor Ave. Racine, WI 262-553-4100.

Taylor Orphanage

Posted: 1 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2001 2:42AM GMT
Phyllis ~

The following excerpt appears in "The Grassroots History of Racine," published by the Racine Heritage Museum Library in 1978:

If I run into anything else, I'll let you know.

Kathe C.

Re: Taylor Orphanage

Posted: 22 Jun 2007 1:53AM GMT
Isn't the Taylor Home now a detention Center for Children?

Posted: 23 Jun 2007 8:36AM GMT
The Taylor Home first started out in the Taylor family home which was on the Southwest corner of Washington and Taylor (Asylum) avenues. That property was sold to Our Savior's Lutheran Church when the new Taylor Home was built just south of the city limits or Hwy 11 (Durand Ave.), on Taylor Avenue, in Elmwood Park.

There is an on-going dispute about using part of the latter facility as a corrections-detention center for area troubled youth.

John in Racine

Posted: 23 Jun 2007 1:35PM GMT
John,

Thank you for this! I've always wanted to know about the location of the orphanage and, voila, there you were! Can't thank you enough ~:-)

Just for curiosity, do you happen to know approx. when the original Taylor orphanage was established and/or when it switched locations (to the Hwy 11 spot)?

Thanks again for the reply!

Best ~

Kathe

Posted: 23 Jun 2007 3:41PM GMT
and how right you are... It's been awhile since I've lived in Racine... I have what you might call "Most Timers" I remember some thing most of the time...
Thanks for the info.
Sandi

Posted: 23 Jun 2007 8:32PM GMT
OOPS!!!

I had my history info a bit switched around. It was the old Kearney mansion that stands on Washington Ave between Taylor (Asylum) and Kearney, that Our Savior's purchased for the location of their new church which was finished in 1956.

The Taylor Home was always beyond Durand Ave, on Taylor (Asylum) Ave. I know the orphanage was updated with new buildings but I couldn't find a quick year that happened. The buildings look to be from about the 1950-1960 style.

Perhaps an e-mail to either the Racine Library or the Racine Heritage Museum could better pinpoint a date.

Sorry,
John in Racine

Re: Taylor Orphan Asylum-Taylor Avenue Orphanage

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 3:17PM GMT
just was here reading this post and others and well on usgenweb thay have some info on the taylor home and well as of now the taylor home is no longer use for any thing but well on usgen web thay show a photo what the place did look like back in the 1800's but well its not what it looks like now and well i do know that it had to been a orphanage i say up in tell may be 1950's or so ? i know back in the 70's and 80's up intell the 90's some time was use for bad kids and also as part of unfied schools where thay would send the kids if thay where to out of contrull in the 2 school thay had here in racine that well thay keep them at so that thay could get schooling . any way my naber next stor to my moms housedid at some time did stay at the orphanage. and my bother when to school thare in the 80's and well he told me thay had some kind of time out room in the place and that there where also unmarked graves out back of the place . when he told me this is when i was a kid and i have always wonder if well just maybe it could be true dont know but well i realy like to know more as well abt the place as well as a lot of other places here in town right now as to where i stay is well on taylor in the old funeral home that was stared in 1928 and well the part i stay in had to have been here befor 1928 but as to what it may have been? i do know this place had add on's to here put on some time in the 50' or 60's how i can se that is by one of the lite fixters here in my home and well i realy would love to also find out more abt this place as well and well find out who all was in my basement back in them day lol (we got ghost in this place)

Posted: 27 Aug 2008 1:38AM GMT
Surnames: Taylor
I remember Taylor Home as an multi story building an old gothic like building probably going back to victorian times.
Also the building was destroyed by a fire may have late 1940s or 150s. Article about fire was in Journal Times but I do not know the date.
I do not live in the Racine Area now. Hope someone will look up more on History of Taylor Home. Meri
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions