Search for content in message boards

Adamson's Castle

Adamson's Castle

joseph Adamson (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2002 2:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Readers may be interested to know that the Adamson clan have a castle in Ireland in their name.

Adamson's castle, also known as Athlone Castle is located on the banks of the River Shannon in the town of Athlone in the county of Westmeath in the center of Ireland.

Our family are from Dublin and have lived in the city for some generations. My grandfather, Joseph was from Abbey Street in Dublin's city center. He was born in 1900. His great grandfather originally came over from Scotland but I don't know from which area.

In the 1920's, Joseph fought for the Irish Volunteers in the Irish war of Independence and was captured by the British and spent some time in Kilmainham Jail. When he was released, he fought in the Irish Civil War for the Free State. He died in 1960. His brother, Gerry Adamson, fought on the opposing side, the Republicans.

The family have always been involved in the leather Industry, in particular, the manufacture of suitcases and luxury leather goods. There is a leather store in Dublin run by a nephew of Gerry's.

I, Joseph, emigrated to the U.S in 1994 and have lived in the Boston, MA area since.

Re: Adamson's Castle

James D. ADAMSON (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2002 3:13PM GMT
Surnames: Adamson
Good news, there are nine ADAMSON,S castles in Scotland and england

James (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2002 8:19PM GMT
Joseph : the thing I found to be the best info and filled with the best info on the ADAMSON,S ,is the book by Sir EDward ADAMSON. The Adamson Saga. You canpurchase same at quintinpublications.com, buy the C.D. &9.50 plus shipping. I have a very interesting find that we are not realy Adamson;s but realy Constyine,s, direct decendents of Constytine The Great, the roman empirer. Search the Co. Fife web sight and find out this amazing fact about us, your ancester was born Patric Constytine, he changed his name because of persicution. Good luck cousin James

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 1:04PM GMT
My great great gran uncle is George Adamson. My grandmither Nula Cannon (was adamson) was daughter to Ann Gormen and John Adamson. My grandmother now lives in Tullamore, Boora, Co.Offaly Ireland. George was part of the IRA and was shot in Athlone, in Co.Offaly, Ireland. At 2am in Athlone he was met by nine armed soldiers who told him to put his hands up - when he refused, George's companions were lined up and shot through the head. George Adamson was then shot in the head, Brigade General George adamson was admired and very popular, when George was in the european war he was the machine gun sergeant and won D.C.M and the mons medal. He fought againmst the british and wasd wounded twice. The castle was named after him and is a special place for me and my family.

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 11:42PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Brig.Gedn. George Adamson
A biography entitled 'Twice a Hero' covers the life, times and death of Brig. Gen.George Adamson. He never fought in the European War but served in Salonika against the Bulgarians and in Palestine against the Turks where he was awarded the DCM for bravery.See Author's website at www.philtomkins.com. The Authors Grand Mother's maiden name was Adamson she was George Adamsons sister.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions