Search for content in message boards

Diffen or Diffin

Diffen or Diffin

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 10:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Diffen, Diffin, Richardson, Zeininger
Seeking information on Mary Anne Diffen (Diffin) b 1850 Killylea Armagh Ireland. Father Robert Diffen, mother Rosanna. Immigrated to New South Wales, Australia sometime before 1884. Married William Richard Richardson B 1834 Dublin Ireland. He arrived in New South Wales on the Joseph Cunard in 1841. They were married in 1884 at Maitland. Mary Anne possibly had a sister named Margaret who married George Zeininger.

Any assistance in tracing Diffen from Killylea would be appreciated.

Re: Diffen or Diffin

Posted: 3 Feb 2010 8:50PM GMT
My g.g.grandfather was Robert Diffin of Garvaghey a townland between Armagh and Killylea.His wife was Rosanna Turner.By my records their children included James b 1826 John b 1828 Samuel b 1835 Robert b 1840 Martha b 1842 Lavinia b 1843 Rosanna b 1845 Henry b 1846 Jean b 1848. I don't think my records are complete especially for the 1830s.
Rosanna died 19/5/1859 and is buried in Drumsollen C of I churchyard some 3/4 miles from Killylea.Robert died 19/12/1873.
It is worth noting that son John and his family including daughters Margaret b 1854 and Annie b 1859 went to Australia.I understand they changed their names to Devine when they arrived.
I am not sure this is of any help but if you have any questions please contact me

Posted: 4 Jul 2010 9:03AM GMT
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. This is possibly the same family. I have Mary Ann Diffen born in 1845 and Margaret abt 1853. Both Mary Ann and Margaret still used Diffen. It is on their marriage certificates. I have a copy of the announcement of Mary Ann's marriage to William Richardson. She is my g.g. grandmother. Death certificates of Mary Ann shows father Robert and mother Rosanna. Margaret has "Robin" and Rosanna. Perhaps they travelled under Devine as I am yet to find any evidence of their arrival in Australia. I will do some more research on the info you have given me. Do you have a tree?
Please stay in touch.

Posted: 9 Jul 2010 7:16PM GMT
Part of what you write appears to fit in with my family tree although other parts do not.My g.g.grandfather was Robert Diffin and his wife was Rosanna Turner. They were married about 1824/6.Robert was born in 1792 and Rosanna in 1805.Robert died 19/12/1873 and Rosanna 19/5/1859.Robert had at least 9 siblings two of whom went to Canada and eventually settled in Maine. Between them they had 20 children and their descendants are still in that area.
Children of another brother went to Australia and New Zealand.They did not change their name to Devine.I have no record of a Mary Ann or a Margaret born to Robert and Rosanna but it is possible.There was a Rose Ann born on 28/2/1845.she died 25/3/1888 in Queensland.
Robert's eldest son John went to Australia in 1874 with his wife Sarah Carson and 9 children.The eldest child Margaret was born on 5/8/1854.John was joining brother William Robert and sister Martha who went to Australia in 1863.These two changed their names to Devine when they arrived in Australia and John followed this when he arrived.
Could I use e-mail for any future correspondence.My e-mail is gdiffin70@btinternet.com

Posted: 26 Oct 2013 12:05AM GMT
Hello,
I would be interested in corresponding about Diffen connections to my Gillespie family in Armagh. Am also interested in Diffin's who emigrated to Canada.

Many thanks!
Mary Ann

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 8:16PM GMT
Hi Mary Anne
My great grandmother was Mary Jane Gillespie born in Armagh in 1843. She was the daughter of Thomas Gillespie and Mary McCore. I am not sure of the name McCore as the church marriage record is in very poor condition.Mary Jane married Henry Diffin 24/ 7/1866 in 1st Armagh Pres.He lived in the townland of Garvaghy some 2 miles from Armagh He was a farmer and she owned a shop. Henry died 1902 Mary Jane 1906.They had at least 8 children one of which emigrated to Canada and married there.An uncle of Henry and his family also went to New Brunswick in 1836. He was John Diffin who married Mary Alexander.
My e- mail address is gdiffin70@btinternet.com should you want more information.
Best Wishes
Eric
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions