Search for content in message boards

McFall/NY/early 1700's-long post/brickwall

McFall/NY/early 1700's-long post/brickwall

Posted: 9 Apr 2002 4:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jun 2003 2:06PM GMT
Surnames: McFall/Keller
I have traced my McFall line back to a John McFall (born about 1727 don't know where) married Christina Keller(Kelder) about 1750 in Athens, Greene County, NY. Info said John was from DeLancey (possibly Delaware or Ulster Co. NY) They had at least 5 boys all born in NY between 1750-1765 or so.(Niel, John Jr. Henry, Robert, Patrick) Name spelled as M'fall, McFaul, or just Fall. Also a Thomas McFall shows up and would be about John's age, don't know where he came from either. Seem to be living in or near the Mannor of Livingston, info found listed Linlithgo/Livingston, Columbia County, NY. John is buried in the yard of Linlithgo Reformed Church, Livingston, Columbia Co., NY. My brickwall is in trying to find out how John came to be in NY, why, from where, and any siblings and parents. Any help is greatly appreciated

Re: McFall/NY/early 1700's-long post/brickwall

Posted: 14 Jun 2002 11:22PM GMT
Edited: 10 Dec 2002 12:38AM GMT
Surnames: McFAll
What I think is interesting is th egreat number of McFalls that showed up in America around that time (1730 to 1770.)
All of the groupings seem to have the same set of given names. i.e. Neal (or Cornelius), John, Thomas, Robert and Patrick. Why would they all use the same given names for their children if they were not related? Mine are from Virginia yours are from New York. I have heard the same set of names from Kentucky and from North Carolina. The ones from Missouri seemed to drop the Cornelius and Patrick names, but mostly, the others seem to stick with McFalls.

Bill McFall

David Falls (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2003 3:17AM GMT
Surnames: Falls, MacFalls, MacPhail, White, Camper, Obenshain, Schenck, Hoover, Campbell, Fisher, Gray, Mayes, Handy
Hello,

FYI one reason for the influx of MacFall as-well as a lot of the Mac’s, is that the British crushed the last of the Gaelic clans fighting for the Jacobites in a series of battles the last of which is why I am here today. I have two Johns in my line my great x 5 father and his son. According to all accounts known to me, John MacFall (the father) fought against the British in the battle at Culloden Moor in 1746 with the clan Mackintosh (the MacFall clan appears in several clans as a sept of that clan and is anglicized for MacPhail). After the defeat at Culloden Moor he and his family had to flee for their lives and hide out as they and many other Scotsmen were considered traitors to the crown and could be executed if caught. The brits slaughtered hundreds possibly thousands of Scots after that battle, so many fled Scotland. My family went to Ireland then to the states, the first records I know of show them in Pa. then in Va.
My grandfather Roscoe P. Falls came from Botetourt Va. Which is where I believe many MacFall or Falls may still live. I plan on getting up there for some research some day.

Dave.

Robin Lincoln (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jul 2003 6:46PM GMT
Surnames: McFall
My aunt notified me of this post. Our McFall ancestors came to US through PA by way of Ireland.Some of the names are the same in this line as well:Francis, John, Thomas,James with the last name spelled without the S on the end.

I believe the family was orignally from Scotland--probably chased out into northern Ireland and came to PA in 1732 from Londonderry area.

The info from David Mcfalls sounds like it could help put a piece in my puzzle!

I hope to look into this more.

Robin(McFall)Lincoln

Posted: 4 Jun 2011 2:39AM GMT
Hello Dave,

Your post is 8 years old now, am hoping this reaches you.
It seems to be making some sense about the fighting at the time, as I am trying to unravel why our family went through a name change from MacPhail to Cameron in the mid 1700s

John MacPhail of Ayeon Farm Bannf. Scotland was my 5x great grandfather. He had a son William in 1708 and daughter Isobell in 1710, with just the father listed at both baptisms.

Assuming he was about 18-20 when had his first child, he could have been born in 1690, thereabouts. He may have had more children.He was probably old enough to be fighting in that war, and it just so happened that his first son William changed his name to Cameron alias McPhail around mid 1700s. One assumes they needed to hide.

W@ould be interested to know whether our MacPhail families connect up at all.

cheers,
Heather
per page

Find a board about a specific topic