Search for content in message boards

Nesbitt on the web

Nesbitt on the web

Posted: 31 Jul 2002 1:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nesbitt
I have a web site with my Nesbitt family. There is a gedcom that can be downloaded. If you would find a connection with the Nesbitt family that you are researching please let me know. I have some information on related families. The address is: http://www.myancestory.org/web/nesbitt/index.htm

Re: Nesbitt on the web

Posted: 2 Apr 2003 10:45PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jun 2004 8:16PM GMT
Surnames: Nesbitt, Taylor, Gosnell, Deer, Fachney/Fachnie, Hamilton, Doble
On your website it shows that one of your Nesbitt ancestors was born in Canada. You posed the question about Nesbitt's being in Canada, and I thought I would let you know that there was at least one Nesbitt I know of that lived in Quebec sometime after 1819.

This Nesbitt was my 3rd great grandmother, Sarah Nesbitt, born in the British Isles sometime between 1760-1780. She married John Taylor in 1793 in Morton, Durham, England. They went to Ireland after their marriage, before 1819, because their son, Moses, my 2nd great grandfather, was born in Ireland 08 Mar 1819. Later, they immigrated to Lac-Beauport, Quebec, Canada, where both John and Sarah died between 1850 and 1860.

It would be a great day for me if I could find the parents of Sarah. I have been searching for information on her for years. It is likely that Sarah and John immigrated to North America with other members of their families, but I haven't a clue about their family history, what their route was, or their Port of Entry. I do know that John was born 22 Jun 1777, and his ethnic origin was Irish. He may have been born in Ireland.

I hope some of this will set off some bells. Hope to hear from you. My email address is: mlee2001@gci.net
Myrna McGhie
Researcher in Alaska

Posted: 5 Feb 2006 6:15PM GMT
I noticed that you mentioned that James Nesbitt was born in Maryland. Do you know his parents, what county he was born or any of his siblings? I only ask this to possibly help you because I am a direct descendent of the Nesbitt Family from Cecil County, Maryland. Joseph Nesbitt (b. 1733) from Dunn, Berkshire, Scotland is the Nesbitt that settled there. He had 8 sons, one of which was named James. The others were Joseph Jr., Robert, Samuel, Alexander, Jonathan, Moses, and John. They were all born between 1758 and 1773. That would mean any ONE of these sons could be your James's father. Let me know if you think this is a possibility or not. I am more than willing to help you.

Galen Nesbit Willis, Jr (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2006 5:30PM GMT
Surnames: Nesbit, Nesbitt
I am researching a Robert Nisbet who was b _ Apr 1773, possibly in Augusta Co, VA. He lived most of his life in Harrison Co, KY (along with his father, believed to be Samuel), but d. in MO in 1849. Samuel may have been b. in PA c 1745, but this is speculation. Would you please tell me more about your Nesbitt ancestor?

Denny Nesbitt (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2006 6:35PM GMT
Hi Galen,
My Nesbitt Family is from Berwick, Scotland and Joseph was born in 1733 in Dunn, Berwick, Scotland. He lived in West Nottingham, Cecil County, Maryland. He and his wife Margaret had 8 sons: John (1758), Robert (1760), James (1764), Joseph (1764), Samuel (1766), Alexander (1768), Jonathan (1768), and Moses (1773). Jonathan and John were both born in New Castle County, Delaware and the rest were born in Cecil County, Maryland.
Joseph's father was James Nesbitt born 1691 in Berwick, Lothian, Scotland. He settled in Springton Manor, Chester County, Pennsylvania. I do not know when he first came to America but he must have traveled back and forth because some children were born here and some in Scotland (Joseph).He and his wife had also had 8 children. 7 boys and a daughter. Abraham (1719), James (1721), Thomas (1722), Allen (1723), Robert (1725), John (1727), Jean (1729), and Joseph (1733).
James's father was Alexander Nesbitt Jr., born 1660 in Berwick, Scotland. He was married to Elizabeth Gledson.
Alexander's father was of course Alexander Sr.
I hope this helps you a little. If you have any questions please contact me again.

Denny Nesbitt
P.O. Box 181
Dillon, Montana 59725

Posted: 6 Feb 2006 8:24PM GMT
Edited: 2 May 2006 1:55PM GMT
Hello Galen,

I have done extensive research on Nesbit families in Harrison, Nicholas and Bourbon Cos., KY from the beginnings of those counties. There is one Samuel Nesbit who married Mary Berry, who is not part of the PA Nesbits. Supposedly, information abstracted from records, he was from Ireland. Contact me and hopefully I can help you.

David Anderson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic