Search for content in message boards

STROUP/STROPES NC>TN>IN

STROUP/STROPES NC>TN>IN

Posted: 21 May 2003 6:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STROUP STROPES TANKERSLEY TANKERSLY THARP
I am searching for the parents of Adam STROPES/STROUP born in North Carolina April 16, 1793 "of German and French parentage." His father died when he was an infant and his mother remarried a TANKERSLY / TANKERSLEY and emigrated to Jacksboro, Campbell County Tennessee, where she died when Adam was seven (abt 1800), at which time a THARP took and raised him. He served in the War of 1812 and moved to Indiana where all his descendants lived. This information is from his obituary. It seems his last name was probably STROUP, not STROPES, however at some point he began using STROPES. I have been unable to find a STROUP who died between 1793 and 1797 whos widow married a TANKERSLY / TANKERSLEY in North Carolina. Also they would have moved to either Grainger or Knox Counties in Tennessee as Campbell was not organized until 1806 and Jacksboro wasn't laid out until 1806.
Does any of this ring a bell for anyone with their research? I have been told that Adam's father was Peter, and that there were several STROUP children, but no one can give solid evidence behind that. I am presently collecting as much information as I can on STROPES/STROUP and TANKSERSLEY in Tennessee and North Carolina to see if Adam fits somewere.
Thanks for any help that you can give me.
Denise
Denisetwin@aol.com

Re: STROUP/STROPES NC>TN>IN

Posted: 21 May 2003 7:54PM GMT
Surnames: Straub, Stroup, Strope, Stropes
I'm afraid I don't have a specific answer for you, but it seems possible that your Adam is descended from, or at least related to, the Jacob STRAUB/STROUP who appeared in NC by 1771:

http://dgmweb.net/genealogy/Straub/FGS/JacobStroup-MariaCath...

As for the name, the original surname is German STRAUB. Most STRAUBs had the spelling of their surname Anglicized to STROUP, some went as far as STROPE or STROPES. STRAUP and STROUB are less common variations. The main STRAUB branch that became STROPE/STROPES was the earliest (as far as I know) STRAUB immigrant to America, specifically, Johannes STRAUB, to New York in 1710. One branch of his descendants, surnamed STROPE, then settled in Bradford Co., PA, and another in Greene Co., PA. I do not know if any of these STROPEs went south to NC, but it seems unlikely, so your Adam probably has different roots (as above).

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I have a web site dedicated to STRAUB/STROUP (and variations), but I have concentrated on those with "Pennsylvania Deutsch" origins. I have rather neglected southern STRAUB/STROUP. The home page, with index and search engine, is at:

http://dgmweb.net/genealogy/Straub/StraubHome.htm

Good hunting.

Re: STROUP/STROPES NC>TN>IN

Tom Skeen (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2003 7:31PM GMT
Surnames: Skeen/Skene, McAndrew, Bird
I have a very similar story; however, his name is Charles Stropes aka Tankersley who married Dorcas Skeen. My data indicates that Charles Stropes was son of Peter Stropes & Sarah Pullen, born 25 Aug 1783, Leepers Creek, NC; died 24 Sep 1850, Vigo Co., IN.
The marriage record for Dorcas says his name wasCharltes Stropes.
My informant says Tankersley was an assumed name by Charles; however, his brothers retained the name of Stropes/Stropea.
In any case Charles Tankersley served during the War of 1812 serving in Dyer's Regiment, Cavalry and Mounted Gunmen, Tennessee Volunteers. His brother Adam Stropes also served int he War of 1812.
I don't know if this will help you are not.
Tom Skeen

>Re: STROUP/STROPES NC>TN>IN

Posted: 22 May 2003 7:43PM GMT
Surnames: Stropes Tankersley Tankersly
<<My data indicates that Charles Stropes was son of Peter Stropes & Sarah Pullen, born 25 Aug 1783, Leepers Creek, NC; died 24 Sep 1850, Vigo Co., IN.
The marriage record for Dorcas says his name wasCharltes Stropes. My informant says Tankersley was an assumed name by Charles; however, his brothers retained the name of Stropes/Stropea.>> Thanks for writing, I have heard/read that this Charles was my Adam's brother however no one seems to have the source data for it, do you know what it is? Ethel Stroupe Vochko has given similar information to many people, but I have been unable to find out what her source was. Was Ethel or Shirley Tankersly Gilfert your informant? Ethel has done a tremendous amount of work on the Stroup family, but there are not many sources for her information known. I know she is writing a book, and I guess she is saving it for that.

Re: >Re: STROUP/STROPES NC>TN>IN

Tom Skeen (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2003 3:56PM GMT
Shirley Gilgert was indeed my informant. However, I do have the reference for the Jeffeson Co., TN marriage of Charles & my relative Dorcas Skeen.
Jean Kesler is also a correspondent.
And I am updating my book Clan Skeen.
Good to correspond with you.
Tom Skeen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions