Search for content in message boards

Hodges - Wiggins - etal 1700-1800 NC, SC

Hodges - Wiggins - etal 1700-1800 NC, SC

Posted: 25 May 2007 11:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hodges, Wiggins, Rabon, Whitfield, Bryan, Carlisle
Sion Wiggins of Marlboro Co. was my wife's GGGGrandfather. We know that in 1809 Sion purchased 100 Marlboro Co. acres from William Whitfield. Witness was Henry Hodges.
These are some of the families that appear to connect:

1818 Matlboro Co. SC Will of Henry Hodges lists step-father William Whitfield.

1767 Bertie Co. NC Will of Needham Bryan lists son-in-law William Whitfield.

1740 Bertie Co. NC Will of Robert Hodges Jr. names dau. Olive Wiggins. A witness is Needham Bryan.

1743 Prince Frederick Winyaw Parish. Son, Peter, born to Edmund and Olive Wiggins.

1743 Beaufort Co. NC Will of Richard Hodges (Olive's brother) names wife Sarah, list slaves given to her.

1752 Craven Co. SC Will of Sarah Hodges list same slaves given to her from husband Richard. Witness was Edmond Wiggins.

1753 Muster Roll of Craven Co. #47 Edmond Wigins, #48 John Wigins, #49 Edmond Wigins.

The records of Salem Baptist Church of Marlboro along with Will and Deeds provide some insight into the family.

In 1831 Sion Sr. gifts land to his sons Sion Jr. and William H. Both sons then execute documents returning control of the lands to their father. This is apparently in preparation to Sion Sr.'s marriage to the widow Beady Ammons. Beady brings daughter Winy Jane Ammons into the family and she is named in Sion's Will.

Apparently about this same time, Sion Jr. marries Moriah Rabon and a feud develops between the wives. Committees are appointed from Salem Church to resolve the dispute but are unsuccessful. Both ladies are excluded from the church but Moriah is eventually readmitted.

Within a very few years Sion Sr, William H. and Sion Jr. disappear from records. The 1850 Marlboro census shows Moriah Wiggins living in the household of 75 year old Mary Rabon with children Mary 16,Stephen 15, and Robert 13. A few houses away we find Charles Wiggins living with James and Charlotte Carlisle.

I have also seen where Richard Carlisle married Priscilla Rabon in 1800 Marlboro Co.

Sometime between 1850 and 1860, Charles Wiggins, Stephen Wiggins, James Pearson, William Steed, Josiah Westerly, and Nathan Thomas appear to migrate to Wilcox Co. AL.

If you can give me any information that might help me to connect these families, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely, Ted & Joyce Kaufman

Re: Hodges - Wiggins - etal 1700-1800 NC, SC

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 4:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
This is my first time doing research on my family, but my Great Grand-father last name was Wiggins. He died in Baltimore Md, but orginally came from Marlboro, NC. Have you found anymore information on the Wiggins? I think he was born in 1896 and married Ida Cobbage my Great Grand-mom. Can any help me?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions