Search for content in message boards

Hetland

Hetland farm

Posted: 6 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 4:57PM GMT
Surnames: Gulliksdatter, Svendsen
There are many Hetland farms in Rogaland county. Across the fjord near Stavanger would fit best for Hetland, Hommersåk, in Hetland parish, east of Stavanger.

But Anne Gulliksdatter is prbably the widow emmigrating 1871 from Øvre Hetland, Helleland, near Egersund, Rogaland south. She is a widow of Kittil Svendsen, b. 1816., and emmigrates in 1871 with all her children except the eldest, Svend Kittilsen, b. 1843.

Hetland

Jeri Smith (View posts)
Posted: 6 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hetland, Svenson
I am looking for information on any farm names in or around Hetland?? I have a family "bible" here that states my ggggrandmother, Anna Gulliksdatter Hetland (Svenson??) is from the "Hetland gar estate across fjord" near Stavanger, Norway. Her husband passed away at the farm (although it appears it may have been a brewery or something of that sorts...) and this is when she migrated to America. Has no dates on when this took place, etc etc. Any information on family farms or the Hetland area would be a great start. Please email me if you might have anything to share. jerbear@myfamily.com

Ovre Hetland

Jeri Smith (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Svendson, Kittilson, Gulliksdatter
Thanks for your response! I did find them in the NHDC Census of 1865 (Rogaland County). This is a great start!

Re: Hetland farm

Posted: 25 Dec 2003 10:13AM GMT
Surnames: Monson, Larson, Endresen
My great great great grandfather Mons Endresen also owned a farm in Rogaland, in Rennesoy. His son Svend Monson was my great great grandfather who emigrated to America in 1872. Mons died in 1864, I was wondering how to find his farm on the census. The farm is now owned by Peder Nedrebo. His address is listed as Osthusvik, in Rennesoy, Rogaland. I tried to find it on the census but I don't read Norwegian. Svend was married to Pauline Pedersdatter Hodne, daughter of Peder Klausson Hodne and Kristi Hagensdatter Austbo. Svend was a cobbler, some of his decendants were and Norway and met Peder and were at the farm. I wanted to know if Mons would be listed on the census.
Thank You

David McGuire
Minnesota

Posted: 25 Dec 2003 1:30PM GMT
Mons Endresen in the 1865 census:
http://129.177.171.80/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&f...

He is a deaf-mute

Posted: 25 Dec 2003 1:35PM GMT
And Svend is a shoemaker apprentice in Stavanger:
http://129.177.171.80/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&f...

Rennesøy

PR (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 2003 7:32PM GMT
It was Mons' wife, Ingeborg Svensdtr, who died in 1864 - Mons lived to 1870. He resided from 1842-1870 on a subfarm of Ullanes but was born on the island of Talgje in Finnøy. The Rennesøy bygdeboks indicate that the couple had at least 8 children.
Sven's wife, Pauline, and I share some early ancestral links in Rennesøy toward the end of the 1600s.

Re: Rennesøy

Posted: 28 Dec 2003 5:42AM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2003 5:42AM GMT
Surnames: Monson, Benson, Hodne
PR
Svend and Pauline had nine children when they came to America, three died in infancy, their second son Martin S. Monson was my great grandfather, he was married to Sadie Larson, her family also came the same area. Svend and Pauline first settled in Illinois in Grudy County, Martin and his brother Peter were both born in Grundy County, Svend bought a farm in Polk Township, Shelby County, Iowa in 1880 they moved to the farm, the rest of the boys and one girl were all born in Shelby County. Two of Svend's sisters also lived in Shelby County, I have a picture of Svend with his sisters Bertha who married John Wigness and Marie, his sister Inger stayed in Norway her decenants live in Stavanger, Peder Nedrebo is a descendant. My grandfather's cousin Elmer Monson was in Norway several years a go and visited the farm and Svend's house. Pauline's sister Bertha Serena and her husband Morten Bardson (Benson) were on the same ship from Norway in 1872. I have quite a bit on Pauline's ancestors, her mother's family to Hans Austbo in the 16th century, and her father's family almost that far back, I got quite a bit from Myrtle (Monson) Mason, I would like to get more on her family, I can send you a copy of what I have, we can keep in contact. Some of Pauline's brothers came also, they took the name of Hodne, we were in Iowa for a family reunion and we visited the Danway Cemetery, and noticed some stones with 'Hodne'. Svend died in 1897 and Pauline died in 1930, both are buried in Danway Cemetery. Pauline's parents were Peder Klausson Hodne and Kari Hagensdatter Austbo, I understand that Hodne and Austbo were the places where the families lived, were they all farmers?
Thank you for the information
David McGuire
great great grandson of Svend and Pauline Monson

PR (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 2003 8:42PM GMT
Nice to meet you. I, a native "Iowegian", actually had to get out an Iowa map to figure out where Shelby Co. was. My ancestors settled in North-Central and North-West of that state. GGgrandfather was last born in Rennesoy and he left for Stavanger ca 1842, married there, etc. One of his daughters married a man from Skudeneshavn in Rogaland and eventually their eldest daughter came to far NW Iowa in 1903. In the past couple years I've learned that a couple of her brothers also emigrated and had families in the US - I might actually have gone to elementary school with them nearby and never known it.
I don't have the slightest recollection why I included Peder Klausson of Hodne in my database (perhaps I was following an early false lead) - but he has four gggrandparents that appear in my direct family lines (all four of the grandparents of Metta Jørgensdtr of Sørbø).

I never think of those early ancestors as just "farmers" - they often had to have many other skills to make a living. Some were also fishing or smithing or even horse trading, etc. If a family had substantial land holdings then perhaps that might be enough - but even then you'll enounter the "lensmann" or even a tie to the local clerical representation. But I'm certain that their version of "farming" was quite different that what an "Iowegian" might, and even amongst those early emigrants I find those who also worked as rural postal carriers, town clerk, etc.

If you post here with a working email address you might soon receive a personal post from me. I don't ever make such personal contact on the public boards - wandering the boards to help anonymously is my joy. But I've over 70 first cousins who will warn you that I'm very very bad about keeping in regular contact.

Posted: 28 Dec 2003 11:12PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2003 5:42AM GMT
My email address is dm5589@aol.com, I live in St. Peter, Minnesota.

David McGuire
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions