Search for content in message boards

Martin Cromer, b. ca 1716 Warwick Twn., Lancaster County, PA

Martin Cromer, b. ca 1716 Warwick Twn., Lancaster County, PA

Judy Cromer Walker (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2006 5:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cromer
Am looking for more details about Martin Cromer of Lancaster County, PA. I believe he is a brother to John and Frederick Cromer. After the Revolutionary War, Martin and John are supposed to have migrated to VA. My gggrandfather, Martin, was born there in 1795. Only known sibling was Chesley Cromer, born ca 1816 in Kentucky. My Martin migrated on to IN, died in MO in 1852. His son, James Lemuel Cromer, migrated on to TX before 1880.
Can anyone help me find 1716 Martin?

Thanks for your help.
Judy Cromer Walker

Re: Martin Cromer, b. ca 1716 Warwick Twn., Lancaster County, PA

IE Coleman (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2006 3:19AM GMT
Martin and John Cromer were born in Warwick Township, Lancaster County, PA. They both served during the Revolution. Martin apparently enlisted at 16 and a month later deserted in New Jersey. He went on to serve again.
Martin marriedMary Magdalene (Molly) Horst in May of 1783 in Trinity Church in Lancaster Co. John married Catherine Brubaker in 11784 in Lancaster Co. John and Martin first moved to Washington Co. MD and about a year later in 1784 moved to Rockingham Co., VA.
Martin had five children; Joseph b.1784, Jacob b.1788, Anne b.ca.1791, Catherine b.1799 and Martin b.ca 1804.John may have had as many as ten children: Peggy, John D.,David and George to his first wife. Joseph, Ann, Martin and possibly 3 others. Martin stayed in VA. John went west to Kentucky and Indiana.
I believe that they had a brother Samuel who remained in PA but I haven't proven it. I also haven't found who their parents were. There were at least two Cromer families in Lancaster Co. at the time of the Revolution.

Posted: 3 Sep 2007 11:01PM GMT
I would be interested in talking with you about Martin Cromer. I have a Martin Cromer b. 1824 IND and died 1878 in Wash. Co, IND. He was a son of George Cromer and Jane Walker. George was a son of John Cromer and Katherine Brubbaker. The Martin Cromer b. 1824 was the father to my great grandmother Eliza Jane Cromer that married William McBeth. The McBeths moved to MO. Was wondering if there is any connection?

Posted: 6 Sep 2008 9:24PM GMT
I am somewhat confused about the birth year attributed to Martin Cromer of Warwick Township, Lancaster Co., PA. His brother, John, stated in his pension claim that he was born 22 April 1758. He and Martin both served during the Revolution and Martin was about sixteen when he first enlisted. Therefore he was born about 1760.
I have found other Cromers in the Township in the tax lists but can't prove relationship. So far, to my knowledge, no one has found a proven parent for them.
They both went to MD, then VA. John then moved to Kentucky before ending up in Indiana. The book I have doesn't give all the children of George and Jane Cromer. Since you know who some of them were, you can add to the story. The answer is 'yes' there is a connection.

Posted: 7 Oct 2008 9:13PM GMT
Surnames: Cromer, Whisman, Linville, Renner
I agree - Martin born abt 1620 in Germany could not be a brother to my John Cromer, b 1758, given his age. I have found no documentation if he was John's father, uncle, or what relationship.

John Cromer was married twice: first to Catherine Brubaker in about 1784 in Lancaster Co, PA, and second to Sophia Whisman in 1803 in Rockingham Co, VA. Martin Cromer, born 1795 was from the first marriage. Chesley Cromer, born 1809 in Pulaski/Rockcastle Co, KY, was from the second. I descend from Chesley's brother, Joseph Cromer, born 1805 probably in Rockingham Co, VA. Joseph and Mary Linville Cromer stayed in Rockcastle Co, KY, after his parents and several siblings moved to Harrison Co, IN. The following are notes from my John Cromer file:
John Cromer served in the Revolutionary War as a private in the Lancaster Co, PA 7th Militia. Martin, Samuel, and Michael Cromer also served.
------------------------------------
John Cromer is listed on the Muster Roll of Captain Barnard Gardners Company, 9th Battalion of the Lancaster Co, PA Militia, commanded by Col. John Huber for the year 1778, 1st Sargeant.

from Pennsylvania Archives, Fifth Series, Vol. VII, page 875
-------------------------------------
Return of Captain John Ashton's Company of the 3rd Battalion of the Lancaster Co, PA Militia,
22 October 1780:

Captain John Ashton, Lieut. Daniel Hollinger, Ensign George Hoverter

John Brubaker, Jr., Private 2nd Class
Samuel Cromer, Private 3rd Class
John Cromer, Private 4th Class
John Brubaker, Private 4th Class
Martin Cromer, Private 5th Class
John Brubaker, Private 6th Class

Pennsylvania Archives, Fifth Series, Vol. VII
-----------------------------------------
Captain John Ashton's 7th Company of the 3rd Battalion, 1781

John Brubacher, Private 2nd Class
John Crimer (Cromer), Private, 4th Class
Martin Cromer, Private 5th Class

from Pennsylvania Archives, Fifth Series, Vol. VII, page 259-260
Return of the 7th Company of the 3rd Battalion of Lancaster Co, PA Militia commanded
by Lt. Col. George Feather in 1781:

Captain John Ashton, Lieut. Daniel Hollinger, Ensign George Hoverter

John Brubaker, Private 2nd Class
John Cromer, Private 4th Class
Daniel Brubaker, Private 4th Class

from Pennsylvania Archives, Fifth Series, Vol. VII, page 260-261
Captain Ashton's District, 7th Company of the 3rd Battalion of the Lancaster Co, PA Militia,
between the ages of 18-53 in the year 1782:

Samuel Cromer, 3rd Class
John Cromer, 4th Class
Daniel Brubaker, 4th Class

from Pennsylvania Archives, Fifth Series, Vol. VII, page 287
----------------------------------------
From VIRGINIA VALLEY RECORDS: GENEALOGICAL AND HISTORICAL MATERIALS OF ROCKINGHAM CO, VA AND RELATED REGIONS, 1930, by John W. Wayland

Page 99
Vochers in Captain John Herdman's Company No. 2 in 1788

William Ralston, 1 slave, 4 horses
David Ralston, son James, 8 horses, apprentice Samuel Mahoney
David Ralston, Jr., 6 horses
John Cromer, 1 horse
Martin Cromer, 2 horses
(these names were listed together in this order)
----------------------------------------
1787 Cenus of Virginia: Rockingham County by Nellie Schreiner-Yantis
List B - Militia Company #2

On 4/2/1787: Martin Cromer, David Ralston, Jr., John Herman, Sr., John Herman, Jr., Jacob Coffman, John Coffman, John Ewins, William Ewins, Hugh Farquer, Frederick Hanes, Alexander Sampler, Robert Sampler, Thomas Campbell, John Church, John Clough.
A WILLIAM CROMER listed in the 1790 Allen Twp, Northampton Co, PA Tax List
------------------------------
Subj: Re: Additional Early Cromer Findings
Date: 6/11/2001 3:07:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Reply-to: zxcqwe123@netzero.net (Searcher)
To: RBRAY329@aol.com

Personal Property Tax Lists - Rockingham Co, Virginia
Transcribed by Richard A. Bisbee 135 Covell Rd. N.W. Grand Rapids, Michigan 49504-5932
From Reel # 0033508 from the LDS library microfilm:
[1797- 1802]

Nothing found

1797 Second List

Mar 20
Coomer, Samuel 5 [probably horses]

Apr. 27
Croomer, John 2 horses

Apr 22
Martin Coffman 1 horses

[I don't think this was Martin Cromer, but jotted it down just in case.]

Mar 20
David Coffman 6 horses

[This shows there were people named Coffman, so the Martin Coffman was probably correct.]

None of the above had any sons over 16

Apr 23
Comer, Samuel 3 horses $27
Coffman, Martin
Coffman, Martin

June 21
Cingery, Michael 1 horse, $9

Immediately below the above:
Crumer, John 1 male under 16 [or in first category] 3 horses, $27

1799 in handwriting [This may still have been 1798, as it was difficult to read the year.]

June 21
Cingery Michael 1 horse $9

Immediately below:
Crumer John 1 white male under 16; 3 horses for (?) $47

July 25
Crumer, Martin 6 horses $54

Apr. 6
Comer, Christophel 3 horses $27

Apr. 3
Comer, Christophel 3 horses for $27

Mar. 12
Cromer, John 1 under 16 3 horses; $36

Apr. 14
Crumer, Martin 6 horses; $72

[Michael Kingery appears under the K’s this year on June 24.]

2nd schedule [not found]

Starting in 1800 I have the Kingerys etc. in a separate file, so won't transcribe those here.

Ciger, Christian Sr. 3 under 16; 1 black under 16 $1.40

Ciger, Frederick [immediately below] 4 horses

Ciger, Christian Jr. 3 horses Crim, Peter

Crim, John

June 2
Comer, Christopher 3 horses
Comer, Philip 1 horse

Apr. 18
John Click 1 under 16 5 horses $60

Immediately under:

Apr. 25 Martin Cromer 5 horses $60

May 6
Samuel Cosmer 3 horses $36

June 11
John Cromer 1 under 16 3 horses $38

***I do have the personal property tax records for the Cromers in Rockingham from 1801 to 1814. When I went back to my file I could not find these there anymore. I remember I had a problem saving this file at the time, but fortunately printed it all out. So if you are interested in the years 1801 to 1814 I will have to later go to the library and make a copy from my print out and snail mail it.

Richard Bisbee
From Rockingham Co, VA Marriages 1778-1850 by John Vogt and T. William Kethely, Jr.

John Cromer and Sophia Whisman, 13 Oct 1803, Bondsman, Peter Whisman.
Minister: Andrew Moffett, probably of Linvill's Creek Baptist Church.
Jacob Cromer and Susan Eyman, 1811, Bondsman and father, Henry Eyman.
Joseph Cromer and Mary Harnsbarger, 20 May 1819.
John and Catherine moved to Maryland and then to Rockingham Co., VA. In 1788, John, along with his brother, Martin, appear on the muster roll of Captain John Herdman's Company No. 2 Militia of Rockingham Co., VA.

John moved to Kentucky about 1805 with Sophia and family. In 1821 John was granted land on Woods Fork of the Little Rockcastle River in what is now Laurel Co., KY (then Knox Co, KY.) In 1829 he moved to Harrison County, IN and sold his land to his son, David. In 1837 John was the subject of a lunacy hearing in Harrison Co., IN. In died in April 1839 and is buried at Avery-Godsberry Cemetery in Blue River Township, Harrison Co, IN. His tombstone reads: "A Revolutionary Soldier."
from OUR FATHERS BEFORE US by Jan Sparkman
---------------------------------------------
1820 Knox Co, KY Census under Little Rock Castle:
Cromer, George 000100 - 00100 - 00
Cromer, John 210001 - 21010 - 00
John Wood 120001 - 00101 - 00
Jane Deweese 000000 - 30100 - 00
Thomas Broadus 000010 - 20100 - 30
Samuel Green 001001 - 00010 - 00
Robert Haggardy 000010 - 00010 - 11
Polly L. Henderson 100000 - 10100 - 00
-----------------------------------------------
1820 Knox Co, KY Census

Isaac Whitson not listed

David Buster (lived nest door to Holland and Lewis Pittman, and near Aron Moore)
1 male, age 0-10
1 male, age 26-45
1 female, age 16-26

George Cromer, Little Rock Castle
1 male, age 16-26
1 female, age 16-26

John Wood (two doors from George Cromer)
1 male, age 0-10
2 males, age 10-16
1 male, over 45
1 female, age 16-26
1 female, over 45

John Cromer (next door to John Wood), Little Rock Castle
2 males, age 0-10
1 male, age 10-16
1 male, over 45
2 females, age 0-10
1 female, age 10-16
1 female, age 26-45

Lewis Raper (six doors from John Cromer)
1 male, age 16-26
1 female, age 0-10
1 female, age 16-26

Littlebury Bray (next door to Lewis Raper)
1 male, over 45
1 female, over 45
--------------------------------------------
John moved to that part of Pulaski Co, Ky that became Rockcastle Co, Ky about 1808. He moved for a short time from Rockcastle Co, Ky to Knox Co, Ky about 1819 before joining his sons, George and Martin, in Harrison Co, IN.
from D. R. Cromer, ROCKCASTLE REMINISCENCES
------------------------------
CROMER, JOHN
Service: Revolutionary War. JOHN CROMER
TRANSCRIPT OF THE PENSION CLAIM OF JOHN CROMER FOR
HIS SERVICE IN THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR. (Some words are inde-
cipherable and have been left blank)
State of Indiana
Harrison County
Harrison Circuit Court

On this 3rd day of October 1832 personally appeared in open court before the Honorable John F. ----- , President and Noses Boon J. Craven-slynn,., his ----judges of the Circuit Court afore-said in the second Judicial circuit of said state now setting, John Cromer a resident of Blue River Township in the county afore-said, aged 74 years, who being past duly sworn according to law doth on his oath
make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the act of Congress pas-sed June 7, 1832. That he entered the service of the United States under the following named officers and served as herein stated in the company commanded by Capt. Hollinger in the Rifle Regiment commanded by Col. John Hoover; he thinks it was the 7th Regiment of Pennsylvania Militia. He states that he served
under these officers ten months in all, but in five different tours of two months each; and the company and regiment to which he belonged held themselves in constate readiness to go whenever called for, during the Revolutionary War; that it was a volunteer company and regiment to which he belonged; that he entered said service in the county of Lancaster, Pennsylvania sometime in the Fall of 1776, the precise day not recollected; that in these several tours they were employed in scouting the country in different directions in the neighborhood of Philadelphia and up and down the Delaware River to guard agaist the British shipping; that he aided in fixing a chain in the Delaware to prevent the ships from coming up, which was finally broken by the Redcoats; that he was at Brandywine, though not in the battle having been sent a short time previous to the battle on a scouting party. He states that he was born on the 22nd of April, 1758,
in the county of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, at which place he resided during his services above mentioned; that he had a record of his age until within a few years past when it was destroyed; that since the Revolutionary War he has resided in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Kentucky and that he now resides in the state of Indiana. He states that
his ------? at Amboy was destroyed soon after the chain was broken as above stated. He states that he recollects Genls. Washington and Wayne - he recollects one Potterfield who was an Adjutant as well as he can recollect. This applicant states that he never received a discharge from
the service and has no documentary evidence and knows of no person whose testimony he can procure who can testify to his said service. He hereby relinquishes any claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present, and declares that his name is not on the pension roll of -----? or in any state. Sworn to and subscribed the day and year
aforesaid. Signed: John Cromer

This statement follows the pension claim:
We, John Hancock and Harry Ott, residing in the township of Blue River and county of Harrison and state of Indiana, hereby certify that we are well acquainted with John Cromer, who has subscribed and sworn to the above declaration, that he is respected and believed in the neighborhood where he resides to have been a soldier of the revolution and that we concur in that opinion. Sworn to and subscribed this day of the year aforesaid.
Signed: John Hancock Harry Ott

The following statement was then added by the court:
And this said Court do hereby declare this opinion after the investigation of the matter, and after ----the ----- prescribed by the War Department, the above named applicant was a Revolutionary soldier and served as he states, and
the court further---- that it appears to them that John Hancock and Harry -----
At this point, the copy becomes totally illegible. However, another document called "Certificate of Pension" and dated April 9, 1833, shows that John Cromer
received $83.32 for his Revolutionary service under the Act of June 7, 1832.
Source for this information is Shirley Cearing at email address
SCearing@hotmail.com
from Indiana Soldiers site
------------------------------------------------
Subj: Fwd: Fw: Miami Co OHIO Cromer-Crawmer's
Date: 12/10/2000 1:41:40 PM Eastern Standard Time
To: RBRAY329

Thought you might be interested in the PA part of this. It also cites references for both John and Martin, but I didn't cite these here , because as I said, they are so well established. I also found the reference for John and William Cromer as witnesses to an Augusta County wedding - William Cromer's wife's relatives. I think that that is probably not Revolutionary War John, but the one that was out in Miami County with Samuel Cromer (married in Augusta in 1809).

The search goes on. Let me know what you think. Nancy
-------------------------------------------
Database: Full Context of Kentucky Land Grants

THE KENTUCKY LAND GRANTS
Volume 1
Part 1
CHAPTER VI KENTUCKY LAND WARRANTS (1816-1873)
THE COUNTIES OF KENTUCKY
page 516
Grantee: Cromer, John
Acres: 50
Book: H
Page: 377
Date Survey: 6-22-1821
County: Knox
Watercourse: Rockcastle R

THE KENTUCKY LAND GRANTS
Volume 1
Part 1
THE COUNTIES OF KENTUCKY
page 516
Grantee: Cromer, David
Acres: 100
Book: V
Page: 490
Date Survey: 12- 1-1827
County: Laurel
Watercourse: Woods Fk

THE KENTUCKY LAND GRANTS
Volume 1
Part 1
THE COUNTIES OF KENTUCKY
page 516
Grantee: Cromer, Joseph
Acres: 180
Book: Z
Page: 33
Date Survey: 1-18-1828

THE KENTUCKY LAND GRANTS
Volume 1
Part 1
THE COUNTIES OF KENTUCKY
page 516
Acres: 96
Book: C-2
Page: 474
Date Survey: 10-15-1834
Watercourse: Laurel R

THE KENTUCKY LAND GRANTS
Volume 1
Part 1
THE COUNTIES OF KENTUCKY
page 516
Acres: 100
Book: C-2
Page: 474
Date Survey: 10-15-1834
Watercourse: Laurel R

THE KENTUCKY LAND GRANTS
Volume 1
Part 1
THE COUNTIES OF KENTUCKY
page 516
Grantee: Cromer, D
Acres: 69
Book: D-2
Page: 172
Date Survey: 2-25-1833

THE KENTUCKY LAND GRANTS
Volume 1
Part 2
CHAPTER IX WARRANTS FOR HEADRIGHT-W.F.H. (1827-1849)
THE COUNTIES OF KENTUCKY
page 950
Grantee: Cromer, Jno
Acres: 50
Book: 1
Page: 7
Date Survey: 1-18-1828
-----------------------------------------------------
1820 Knox Co, KY Census under Little Rock Castle:
Cromer, George 000100 - 00100 - 00
Cromer, John 210001 - 21010 - 00
John Wood 120001 - 00101 - 00
Jane Deweese 000000 - 30100 - 00
Thomas Broadus 000010 - 20100 - 30
Samuel Green 001001 - 00010 - 00
Robert Haggardy 000010 - 00010 - 11
Polly L. Henderson 100000 - 10100 - 00
-----------------------------------------------
1820 Knox Co, KY Census

Isaac Whitson not listed

David Buster (lived nest door to Holland and Lewis Pittman, and near Aron Moore)
1 male, age 0-10
1 male, age 26-45
1 female, age 16-26

George Cromer, Little Rock Castle
1 male, age 16-26
1 female, age 16-26

John Wood (two doors from George Cromer)
1 male, age 0-10
2 males, age 10-16
1 male, over 45
1 female, age 16-26
1 female, over 45

John Cromer (next door to John Wood), Little Rock Castle
2 males, age 0-10
1 male, age 10-16
1 male, over 45
2 females, age 0-10
1 female, age 10-16
1 female, age 26-45

Lewis Raper (six doors from John Cromer)
1 male, age 16-26
1 female, age 0-10
1 female, age 16-26

Littlebury Bray (next door to Lewis Raper)
1 male, over 45
1 female, over 45

----------------------------------------------------
"In the Rockinghan [sic] Co. deed books is the entry 'October 18, 1801
Michael Kingary and Margaret his wife sold land to John Cromer. Land patented by said Michael Kingary (Kingry) Nov. 7, 1797.' This probably meant Michael was preparing to move to Ohio with his older brother John. (Mike
Keenery)" from Richard Bisbee, 2/11/2001
-------------------------------------------------------
1830 Indiana Census

John Cromer, Harrison Co, 071, Blue River
George Cromer, Harrison Co, 071, Blue River
Martin Cromer, Washington Co, 286, No Twp L
Samuel Cromer, Wayne Co, 061, Wayne Twp
Nathan Cromer, Deatur Co, 380, No Twp L

1840 Indiana Census

George Cromer, Washington Co, 189, Posey Twp
David Cromer, Gibson Co, 016, Patoka
Julia Cromer, Wayne Co, 273, Perry Twp
-------------------------------------------------
Library of Virginia
Land Office Patents & Grants/Northern Neck Grants & Surveys : CATALOG CARD

MULTIMEDIA Grant

GRANTEE Hamilton, Gawin. grantee.
DATE 10 March 1801.
NOTE Location: Rockingham County.
NOTE Description: 47 1/2 acres on both sides of Beaver Creek adjoining Hugh Dever and John Cromer &c.
NOTE Source: Land Office Grants No. 47, 1800-1801, p. 502 (Reel 113).
NOTE See also the following surname(s): Hambleton, Hamlenton, Hammilton.
NOTE Part of the index to the recorded copies of grants issued by the Virginia Land Office. The collection is housed in the Archives at the Library of Virginia.
OTHER FORMAT Available on microfilm. Virginia State Land Office. Grants A-Z, 1-124, reels 42-190; Virginia State Land Office. Grants 125- , reels 369-.
SUBJECT Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- Virginia -- Rockingham County.
SUBJECT Rockingham County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century.
SUBJECT Land grants -- Virginia -- Rockingham County. aat.
ADDED ENTRY Dever, Hugh.
ADDED ENTRY Cromer, John.
ADDED ENTRY Virginia. Land Office. Register. Land grants, 1779-
ADDED ENTRY Library of Virginia. Archives.
-----------------
Martin Cromer is listed in the 1810 Rockingham Co, VA Census.:
1 male, under 10
2 males, 16-20
1 male, 45 and over
1 female, 10-15
1 female, 16-25
1 female, 45 and over
1 slave
--------------------------------------
Listed in the 1820 Rockingham Co, VA Census:

Christopher Comer

Jacob Croomer
2 males, under 10
1 male, 26-45
2 females, under 10
1 female, 26-45
1 male slave

Martin Croomer
1 male, 16-18
1 male, 16-26
1 male, 45 and over
1 female, 10-16
1 female, 45 and over

Joseph Croomer
1 male, under 10
1 male, 26-45
1 female, under 10
2 females, 16-26
1 male slave
----------------------------------
1830 Rockingham Co, VA Census

Martin Cromer (probably includes the family of Martin Cromer, Jr.)
2 males, 5-10
1 male, 10-15
1 male, 20-30
1 male, 70-80
2 females, 5-10
1 female, 10-15
1 female, 15-20
1 female, 20-30

Joseph Cromer
2 males, under 5
2 males, 5-10
1 male, 10-15
1 male, 40-50
2 females, under 5
2 females, 5-10
1 female, 20-30
1 female, 40-50
--------------------------------------
1840 Rockingham Co, VA Census

Henry E. Cromer
1 male, 20-30
1 female, 30-40

Joseph Cromer
1 male, under 5
1 male, 5-10
1 male, 10-15
1 male, 15-20
1 male, 40-50
2 females, 10-15
2 females, 15-20

Martin Cromer
1 male, 15-20
1 male, 30-40
1 female, 15-20
1 female, 30-40
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions