Search for content in message boards

Children of John FORTUNE 1850 Census

Children of John FORTUNE 1850 Census

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2001 7:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jan 2004 7:36PM GMT
Surnames: FORTUNE
The children I have for John Fortune are the ones listed on the 1850 census - Jacob, Samuel, Elizabeth, Sarah & Thomas. I don't know what happened to John & the family in 1860 - there is a John in Holmes County, but the children's names are different and he has a wife Ann E., so I'm not sure who he is. As I said, I have not researched this family thoroughly. The Fortune family is very difficult to prove because I know that they had large families and were not early land owners and a lot of the burials are unmarked. I cannot prove descent from Jacob & Phebe, but I know the Coshocton branches are descended from them. Good luck!

John Fortune & Sarah Markle

Posted: 14 Nov 2001 2:00AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2004 7:38PM GMT
Surnames: Fortune, Markle
I found John or "a" John Fortune living with Sarah Markle in one of the censuses. This is from memory so am not sure if that was the 1860 census. I don't find a burial for him. They may have been too poor to buy a marker. Wish I knew more about him.

Re: John Fortune & Sarah Markle

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2001 3:24PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2004 7:40PM GMT
Surnames: FORTUNE
Yes, I have that census - it is the 1870 or 1880 census, but that person seems to be the John Fortune in Knox County in 1860. I need to research this a little more because I have no idea whether or not it is your John. As I say, the names of the children are different, the wife's name is different, the ages are different, so this indicates to me that it is not the same man.

Posted: 15 Nov 2001 6:54AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2004 7:44PM GMT
Surnames: MARKLE
I know. I thought so, too. It seems like his daughter married a Markle and it would make sense for him to live with her if his wife had died. Wife who, we don't know. I always thought, looking at those censuses that they probably had joined two families and had children from both marriages all under one roof/surname. I will dig out my notebook on them and see what I can figure out. I'd love to get a copy of that article. Will write to the library and see if they have newspapers you can look through on a reader.

Thanks! We'll get it figured out yet. :)

Janni

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2001 2:37PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2004 7:45PM GMT
The Coshocton Library does have the microfilm for the old newspapers. That is where I found the information. I think it was in the Coshocton Spy newspaper about 1828. Since it was not of particular interest to me, I have not investigated further. There were apparently no children involved, so you know how it is. I could be wrong about the year of publication, but I do know I found it in that newspaper.

Re: Children of John FORTUNE 1850 Census

Posted: 27 May 2009 2:09AM GMT
Edited: 18 Feb 2014 12:48AM GMT
1."According to families stories,my father's great grandmother was born around 1852 on Roanoke Island into the Weapomeoc Indian nation. Her American name was Anna, but her father preferred to call by her Indian name White Cloud.White Cloud married John Fortune, a Cherokee whose family migrated to Virginia from North Carolina. John and White Cloud left Roanoke Island and came to Washington D.C., where John became a bricklayer. I know little else about their life except that they lived on V Street in the Shaw District. They fourteen children, most of whom died young. Early death claimed White Cloud as well,and he (Fortune) married again and had four children. 1. The Sweeter The Juice, Shirlee Haizlip
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions