Search for content in message boards

Cynthia Ann Hidy nee Gano, William Gano & Maria Mullen, Ohio, Indiana

Cynthia Ann Hidy nee Gano, William Gano & Maria Mullen, Ohio, Indiana

Posted: 27 Feb 2012 3:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Feb 2012 3:30PM GMT
Surnames: Hidy, Gano, Guano, Ganeaux, Ganeau, Mullen
My cuz Jerry just sent me the death cert of Cynthia Ann Hidy who was born Cynthia Ann Gano in OH 23 Nov 1829. It says her parents were William Gano and Mary Mullen both b OH. Info on the cert provided by family - she was living with son Jeptha and living beside son Nathan at that time.

Confusing that the 1850 to 1900 census has her born OH, IN and VA.

She died Penville, Jay Co, OH 14 Sep 1900.

I still think there is a possible connection to a Samuel Gano of Ohio, possibly Washington CH, Fayette Co, OH where she and Nathan were married and most of their kids were born. Could Samuel's middle name have been William or vise versa?

This should quiet some of the talk that her father was surnamed "Guano". Perhaps that is an indication that the name was pronounced like "gon'- no" rather than "gay'- no" or "gan'- no". But it certainly was NOT Guano which is pronounced "gwa'- no" and means bird excremtent. The "gon-no" or "gan-no" pronouncations are more like the original Ganeau or Ganeaux.

LRAYVICK@cox.net

Re: Cynthia Ann Hidy nee Gano, William Gano & Maria Mullen, Ohio, Indiana

Posted: 28 Feb 2012 11:34PM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2012 11:35PM GMT
Surnames: Hidy, Gano, Mullin
With Kurt Gano's help I found the marriage record of Samuel Gano and Mariah Mullin, Ross Co, OH 1822. I guess Cynthia's sons were confused about their grandfather's 1st name, or William was Samuel's middle name or maybe William was one of Samuel's brothers who treated them like grandsons. Also there is reportedly an Isaac Gano m Cynthia Mullin Ross Co, 1824.

Re: Cynthia Ann Hidy nee Gano, William Gano & Maria Mullen, Ohio, Indiana

Posted: 20 Sep 2012 10:46PM GMT
Surnames: Gano, Mullin, Hidy, Newland, Gainoe, Ganno, Ganeaux, Gaino
This is a repost of a message originally under the subject of Samuel Newland.

This is my attempt to answer two questions: (1) what was the ancestry of my 3g gm Cynthia Ann Hidy nee Gano and (2) who were her siblings if any and their descendants. All comments on the following are welcome including emails to me at LRAYVICK@cox.net.

Background: In January 2012 I found that Nathan and Cynthia's son Oscar Matthew Hidy was my 2g gf according to the obit of my 2g gm with whom he reportedly had a dau Jennie in 1880. See my tree http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=lrayvick and LRAYVICK1 on Ancestry.

Overview: we do not know if Cynthia Gano's father was named Samuel or William or some combination although her father was almost certainly a GANO. Her father was Wm Gano and her mother was Mariah Mullin based on Cynthia's death cert completed by her husband Nathan Hidy, brother of Oscar.

There is a record of Samuel Gano marrying Mariah Mullin in Ross Co, OH in 1822. We do not know if the Samuel & Mary Gano in the 1850 Fayette Co census were or were not Cynthia's parents and their kids were not her siblings; it is possible they were. We do not know the maiden name of the Mary married to this Samuel Gano; the is no historical evidence she was Mary Newland. It is also possible this Samuel married twice, first to Mullin then to Newland; Gledhill believes Samuel m Newland in 1829. It is also possible there is a confusion between the name Mary Newland and Mariah Mullin.

Any death certs from any of Samuel and Mary's (other?) kids could reveal info about their parents. I have not see any of these death certs.

1822, 11 Oct, from Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950, p 471, Gano Samuel to Mullin Mariah, Ross Co.

1830 census 41, Xenia, Greene Co, OH could be Samuel and fam.

1840 census Fayette Co, OH could be Samuel and fam; note the one female between age 10 and 15.

1850 census p 10, Union, Fayette Co, OH has Cynthia Hidy b VA w/ husband Nathan and kids Hershel 3 & Susan newborn. Living nearby is Samuel Gainoe and fam. P 7 has Nathan Hidy's parents and other kids.

1850 census p 12 & 13, Union, Fayette Co, OH has Samuel Gainoe b abt 1800 VA m Mary b abt 1808 VA w/ dau Adorah b abt 1830 OH, younger kids all b OH. Living nearby p 32 is Henry E. Gano and fam - see below

The 1850 census p 32, Union, Fayette Co, OH is very interesting in that it has a couple of CYNTHIAS as well as a mysterous Cella. I believe there are direct connetions between these CYNTHIAs and Cynthia Gano b 22 Nov 1829. It shows Henry E. Gano b abt 1824 OH with Elizabeth Gano & Cyntha A. Gano age 1 as well as Cyntha Gano b 1791 in KY. Also living with them are Cella Gano b abt 1827, Jackson b abt 1844, Phebe b abt 1846, and Angelina b 1850. Based on the order the names are shown in the census and on Lemaster's comments, my guess is Cella is the wife of one of Henry's brothers, probably William, who is not present for the census and likely dead and Jackson, Phebe and Angelina are their kids. A. Jackson Gano shows up in the 1860 census as A J Gano living with the Judy family next door to Henry E., Mary J., Cynthia age 9 and James age 7. If Jackson was Henry's son he would have been living with them. Also living with the JUDYs is a girl who appers to be Rebecca M Garra, originally indexed as McGarra, who I suspect is a mis-recording of Rebecca M. Gano - I supect this is the same person recorded as Phebe Gano in the 1850 census. I can't find Angelina until later census where she appears to have married a Gano cousin from PA.

Regarding Cyntha b abt 1791, if Henry E. is the brother of Cynthia Ann Hidy, is Cyntha Gano an aunt or a mother? I do not believe she is Henry's mother who I think is Mariah Mullin. I suspect she is the widowed wife of Isaac Gano who married Cynthia Mullin in Ohio in 1824 (see Lemaster p 300). I guess Cynthia is a sister or aunt to Mariah Mullin. Given the age differences I would guess an aunt. But the Cynthia names suggest to me Cynthia b 1791 is Mariah's mother and Henry's mother-in-law.

1850 census p 21, Union, Fayette Co, OH has George Gainoe b abt 1814 OH, with wife & kids & Isaac b abt 1760 b unk.

1870 census Union, Fayette, Ohio; Roll: 1014; Family History Film: 1255014; Page: 492A; Enumeration District: 051, Henry shows his father b, VA

1900 death cert for Cynthia Ann Gano has father William Gano b OH and mother Maria Mullen b OH. Cynthia d 14 Sep 1900 in Pennville, Jay Co, IN age 70 years, 9 months, 22 days.

For additional review based on Gano forum comments:
"Daniel was Rev. John Gano's son. Daniel was married the 2nd time to Jemima Robinson...they had a son named Samuel. Samuel was married to a Mariah Mullin or Mullen... They had a son named Thomas. Thomas was married to a Cindarella Wells. They had a son named Wilbur. Wilbur married a Mary Elizabeth Keys or Kays. Wilbur was born in Ohio possibly moved with Samuel from Kentucky to Ohio.

Kadenabrat post in the HIDY forum in 2001:
"I have a Samuel Thane Gano. He was the Grandson of Rev. John Gano. His Father was Daniel Gano married to Martha Bryant. Our Samuel was married to Mariah Mullins. They had these children: Elizabeth, Thomas, Anne and William Gano. Anyone with any information on this Samuel is urged to contact me. Having difficulty with this. Sincerely, Pat"
She also posted on the Gano forum in 2003:
"I need help with this one. Samuel was a son of Daniel Gano and his second wife Jemima Robinson Gano. Anyone who can help with his siblings and her parents and siblings, I am asking that you contact me. Samuel and his wife Mariah had these children: Elizabeth, who married Isaiah Lacy, Cynthia Ann, who married Nathan Hidy and William Gano. I do not know of any other children Sam and Mariah had. I know that Sam is the grandson to Rev. John Gano. Thanks, Pat"
Pat Zellman, kadenabrat@sbcglobal.com

Laura Shore post in the HIDY forum 2004:
"For what it's worth, the Thane and Gano family were tightly intertwined. Dr. Samuel Thane of Hillsdale, Columbia Co., NY married Sarah (Sally) Gano who was the daughter of Rev. John Gano and Sarah Stites. She was Daniel's sister. I have a fair amount of information on both families -- though would like proof that Samuel Thane is descended from Rev. Daniel Thane and Mary Clowes."

Possibly related GANO
1840 census p5, Union, Fayette Co, OH has a George Genoe and an Isaac Ganoe. See 1850 census above.

1850 census p 9, Union, Faylette Co, OH has Robert Ganno b abt 1814, Pheba b abt 1818, & kids.

Ray Vick
San Diego

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions