Search for content in message boards

Herklotz Family - Riensberg Cemetery, Bremen

Herklotz Family - Riensberg Cemetery, Bremen

Posted: 16 Jan 2011 4:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Herklotz
Anybody in Bremen know of someone who taken digital photos of cemetery markers at Riensberg Cemetery? There are seven members of the family of Johann David & Alice HERKLOTZ who are buried there (six supposedly in Section G, the other - a young child - in Section T) whom I'm interested in.

In their early years, the family lived in the United States in New York & New Jersey before they moved back to Bremen due to Johann's business dealings.

I've sent a similar query to Bremen City officials with the names and dates of death/interment for all seven but didn't receive a reply.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Herklotz Family - Riensberg Cemetery, Bremen

Posted: 17 Jan 2011 1:42PM GMT

AW: Herklotz Family - Riensberg Cemetery, Bremen

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 6:56PM GMT
Hi arvika8,

Have you found what you were looking for in the database you were given a link to? If not, I work quite close to the cemetery you're talking about and would be willing to go and check if I can find the markers you're talking about and take photos.

Best,
Sarah

Re: AW: Herklotz Family - Riensberg Cemetery, Bremen

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 11:06PM GMT
Sehr geehrte Oldenburg-Dogan/Sarah,

Thank you for your reply and kind offer.

To date, nothing new has been learned about the possible existence of cemetery markers re: my original 15 Jan. posting.

Below is list of family of individuals with their respective dates of death and burial locations I'm interested in finding out whether or not a family marker exists (it seems the cremains for all but one of them were buried in Section Z, while the other, a young child, is in Section T - I've downloaded the on-line cemetery map; however, Section Z is quite large). I've been led to believe that there was at least one monument of some type in Section Z. I obtained the following information a couple of months ago from the "Die Maus" web site as well as the death certificates of three of the individuals in question.

Namen
Sterbedatum
Stelle Classe beigelegt

Johann David HERKLOTZ
gest. + 18.10.1938
Z-202

Alice HERKLOTZ (geb. TODD)
gest. + 19.01.1933
Z-202/Z-211 (or Z-205 a)

Alice Gesine SCHRAMM (geb. HERKLOTZ)
gest. + 04.05.1911
Z-204 2

Karl Rudolph SCHRAMM
gest. + 10.04.1917
Z-204 2

Florence HERKLOTZ
gest. + 07.02.1934
Z-204 a

Clara SCHRAMM (geb. HERKLOTZ)
gest. + 25.03.1971
Z-206/Z-207

John D. HERKLOTZ Jr.
gest. + 17.04.1884
T-93 5

James Garfield HERKLOTZ
gest. + 30.10.1927
Z-205 2

Ich würde mich sehr freuen, bald von Ihnen zu hören.

Vielen Dank (Thank you again in advance).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen (Best regards),
Herr Kronström/Per

AW: Re: AW: Herklotz Family - Riensberg Cemetery, Bremen

Posted: 23 Jan 2011 3:16PM GMT
Dear Per,

Thanks for the details; I'll see what I can do and get back to you by next weekend!

Best wishes,
Sarah

AW: Re: AW: Herklotz Family - Riensberg Cemetery, Bremen

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 12:19PM GMT
Dear Per,

I went to the cemetery on Monday and searched through most of the Z section, but without luck. However, some of the markers are quite weather-beaten and hard to read. Which is why I have managed to enlist the help of the cemetery administration. I just spoke to them and am going to email them your list of names, dates and plot numbers, and they are going to search their files for them. They lady I spoke to was very nice and helpful, but informed me that they are seriously understaffed at the moment, so I may not hear back from them until next week. The good thing is, the death registers survived both wars, so if your information is correct, we will find them in there. The downside is, though, that graves in Germany are "recycled". Unless someone has been paying for their lease and/or upkeep, we will find your relatives in the files and the plots where they were buried, but their graves will be gone, and with them the markers. But I'll let you know what I've found as soon as I hear back from the cemetery administrators.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Re: AW: Re: AW: Herklotz Family - Riensberg Cemetery, Bremen

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 4:08PM GMT
Sarah,

Thank you again for your time and efforts. Sorry you had to search the entire area. Since the most recent death was in 1971 perhaps nothing exists anymore. I've read about the practice of "recyling" graves, but hopefully something is still standing and the cemetery representative can pinpoint more precisely where in Section Z they can be found. If you want, pls provide e-mail address so I can stay in touch during the process.

Best regards,
Per

AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Herklotz Family - Riensberg Cemetery, Bremen

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 4:37PM GMT
Hi Per,

No worries, I volunteered for it and had fun doing it! As it happens, this is one of the more picturesque cemeteries in the area and one with what seems to me a disproportionate number of older graves (~150 years old, which I don't often see around here). It was interesting!

I tried to send you a private message through your profile, but the option is blocked. If you message me with a way to contact you, I'll send you my email address and the details of the cemetery administrator who is looking up the graves. I would rather not post them here as the forums are publicly accessible. There should be a contact option on my profile page.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Herklotz Family - Riensberg Cemetery, Bremen

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 4:58PM GMT
Sarah,

Hopefully you're still on line. I agree with your comment. Pls try again. I've temporarily changed profile settings for an hour or two.

Per

AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Herklotz Family - Riensberg Cemetery, Bremen

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 5:27PM GMT
It seems to be working now; I've sent you a message.
Sarah
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions