Search for content in message boards

Joiner,Joyner, Hughes, Etheridge

Joiner,Joyner, Hughes, Etheridge

Posted: 23 Feb 2007 12:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Joiner, Joyner, Hughes and Etheridge
I am researching the Joiners in Conecuh Co. I am especially interested in the ancestors and descendants of Zedekiah Joiner and Nancy Etheridge. They married in Conecuh Co in 1869. Their son Levi married Emaline Hughes from Butler Co about 1909. I will be glad to share any information I have on this family. Mary

Re: Joiner,Joyner, Hughes, Etheridge

Posted: 23 Feb 2007 12:30PM GMT
Surnames: Joiner/Joyner
Hi Mary,
My gg-gm was Delilah JOINER Lee, the daughter of Edmund/Edmond/Edward Joiner (1776 NC/bef. 1880 Conecuh Co. Ala.) and Delilah Matthuce (Mathews?)1780 NC/1850-1860 Conecuh Co.
Most of the Joiners in Conecuh Co. descend from Edmond and Delilah or Elisha and Elizabeth Joiner. Edmond and Elisha were possibly/probably brothers. They were in Washington Co. Georgia before Conecuh Co. and Nash Co. NC before that. They possibly descend from a Jacob and Lewranie Joiner of Nash Co. (no real proof). Also there was an Abraham Joiner in Conecuh Co. I have no notes on Abraham that I can find at the moment, but I have many notes on Edmond and some on Elisha.

Zed K. Joyner was next door to Elisha and Elizabeth Joyner in 1870. In 1860 an Elbert (b. 1816) and Louiza Joyner were beside Elisha and Elizabeth and had a son named Zadock who could be Zedekiah, I think. JUST GUESSING, I'd say Zedekiah probably descends from Elisha and Elizabeth, but it's difficult to say for sure due to courthouse fires.

I hope Earlene Porter is on this list. She has researched Elisha's family.
------------
1880 United States Federal Census
Source Information: 1880 US Federal Census Census Place Gravilla, Conecuh, Alabama
Family History Library Film 1254009 NA Film Number T9-0009 Page Number 26A
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
Zedekiah JOYNER Self M Male W 35 AL Farm Hand GA AL
Nancy E. JOYNER Wife M Female W 28 FL House Keeping AL AL
Louisa JOYNER Dau S Female W 9 AL AL FL
Mary M. JOYNER Dau S Female W 5 AL AL FL
John E. JOYNER Son S Male W 3 AL AL FL
Levi JOYNER Son S Male W 1 AL AL FL
[next door]
Name: Edmond Joyner Home in 1880: Gravilla, Conecuh, Alabama
Birthplace: Alabama Relation to head-of-household: Self (Head)
Spouse's name: Rebecca
Father's birthplace: SC Mother's birthplace: SC
Neighbors: View others on page
Occupation: Farming Marital Status: Married Race: White Gender: Male
Household Members: Name Age
Edmond Joyner 54
Rebecca Joyner 60 wife Ala Va MD
Robert F. Joyner 25 son Fla Ala Ala
Neely Joyner 17 dau- in- law Ala Ala Ala
Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Gravilla, Conecuh, Alabama; Roll: T9_9; Family History Film: 1254009; Page: 26.1000; Enumeration District: 47; Image: 0054.

Households nearby:
Source Information: 1880 Census Place Gravilla, Conecuh, Alabama
Family History Library Film 1254009 Page Number 26B

Name Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation
Joel JOYNER M Male 57 AL Farming Father's Birthplace NC Mother's Birthplace NC
Margaret J. JOYNER M Female 45 AL House Keeping
Mary E. JOYNER S Female 31 AL At Home
Andrew B. JOYNER S Male 21 AL Day Laborer
Catharine J. JOYNER S Female 17 AL House Keeping
William J. JOYNER S Male 15 AL Work On Farm
Thomas C. JOYNER S Male 12 AL Work On Farm
Amanda JOYNER S Female 9 AL
Lula JOYNER S Female 7 AL
Caroline KINDRICK W Female 28 AL House Help
Jane E. KINDRICK S Female 2 AL

Source Information: 1880 Census Place Gravilla, Conecuh, Alabama
Family History Library Film 1254009 Page Number 27C
Elbert JOYNER M Male 65 GA Miller
Margaret J. JOYNER M Female 43 AL House Keeping
Emeline JOYNER S Female 25 AL At Home
Margaret J. JOYNER S Female 10 AL
William B. ETHRIDGE M Male 25 AL Work On Farm
Rachael C. ETHRIDGE M Female 26 AL At Home
Letha ETHRIDGE S Female 2 AL

1900 United States Federal Census

Name: Levi Joyner Home in 1900: Gravella, Conecuh, Alabama
Age: 20 Estimated birth year: abt 1880 Birthplace: Alabama
Relationship to head-of-house: Son
Father's name: Zadolph W Mother's name: Nancy E
Race: White
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Zadolph (???) W Joyner 58 Jan 1842 Mar 31yrs Ala Geo Ala. Farmer
Nancy E Joyner 49 May 1851 Mar31yrs 3/3 Fla. Ala. Ala.
Mary M Joyner 23 Aug 1876 23 single Ala. Ala Fla
Levi Joyner 20 July 1879 20 single
Milly Joyner 11 June 1888 11 single
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Gravella, Conecuh, Alabama; Roll: T623 10; Page: 7A; Enumeration District: 53.
----------------
More later,
Cheryll

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 9:03AM GMT
Surnames: Joiner, Etheridge
Thanks Cheryl, I believe as you that the misspelled name in the 1870 census is most likely Zedekiah and if so, three of these guys married Etheridges. Now I'm searching to see if they were sisters. I am working with a friend to trace his family. Levi Joiner was his grandfather and Zedekiah was his ggrandfather. I read so many of your post in Butler and Conecuh counties and you always have so much to share with everyone. Any thing you have I will appreciate. You can email me direct. Mary, Montgomery MSmith6607@aol.com

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 9:03AM GMT
Surnames: Joiner, Etheridge
Thanks Cheryl, I believe as you that the misspelled name in the 1870 census is most likely Zedekiah and if so, three of these guys married Etheridges. Now I'm searching to see if they were sisters. I am working with a friend to trace his family. Levi Joiner was his grandfather and Zedekiah was his ggrandfather. I read so many of your post in Butler and Conecuh counties and you always have so much to share with everyone. Any thing you have I will appreciate. You can email me direct. Mary, Montgomery MSmith6607@aol.com

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 7:17PM GMT
Surnames: Joyner, Joiner
It appears to me that Zadock and Zeddock were nicknames for Zedekiah. Have you ordered Nancy's pension record for her husband Zeddock Wallace Joyner? I wonder if his mother was a Wallace?

http://www.archives.state.al.us/civilwar/search.cfm

Last Name: Joyner First Name: Z MI: W
Date of Birth: Birth Information:
Date of Death: Death Information:
Discharge Date: 1865/05/24 Discharge Information:
Branch: Regimental Unit: 19th Alabama Regiment
Company Unit: D Co. Unit Name:
Pension Rec: yes
***Authority: Pension Application, Conecuh County, No. 28917. Remarks from the Adjutant General, 1913/09/23.
Marital Status: Occupation:
Enlistment Date: 1864/03/24 Enlistment Information: Georgia, Dalton.
Engagements: Engage. con't:
Remarks: Rank: Private.
*Pension Applicant: Nancy E. Joyner, widow.
Witnesses: D. R. Griffin and W. J. Thomlinson. From the Adjutant General: "The name Z. W. Joyner has not been found on the muster in roll, dated 1861/08/09, on the muster in roll dated August 9, 1861, or on the muster roll dated June 30, 1862, the only rolls on file in this office of Co. D, 16th Ala. Inf., C.S.A., nor has any been found of the capture or parole of a man of that name and organization."
--
*Last Name: Joyner First Name: Zeddock MI: Wallace
Date of Birth: 1842/01/09 Birth Information: Alabama, Conecuh County.
Date of Death: Death Information: Discharge Date:
Discharge Information: Branch: Infantry
Regimental Unit: 16th Alabama Regiment
Company Unit: Co. Unit Name:
Pension Rec: Authority: Census, Tax Collector, Conecuh County, Alabama, 1907-1908.
Enlistment Date: 1864/03/23 Enlistment Information: Georgia, Dalton.
Engagements: Engage. con't:
Remarks: Rank: Private. Paroled May, 1865. Address 1907-1908: Gregville, Alabama

Last Name: Joiner First Name: Z MI: W
Date of Birth: Birth Information: Date of Death:
Death Information: Discharge Date: Discharge Information:
Branch: Regimental Unit: 16th Alabama Regiment Company Unit: D
Co. Unit Name: Pension Rec:
Authority: Veteran rosters--personal statement not official.
Enlistment Date: 1864/00/00
Enlistment Information: Engagements:

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 6:30AM GMT
Surnames: Joiner, Joyner, Etheridge, Wallace, Hearn
Cheryl, Thank you for this information. I didn't know Zedekiah's W. was for Wallace. It does sound like a family name and needs to be checked further. Right now It's appears he is the son of Elbert. If the Zadock is Zedekiah, he along with 2 brothers, Jefferson and Madison married three Etheridges. I'm searching now to see if they were sisters. I have put my BC marriage records on hold and gotten back into my research. This hunt for the Joiners and Hearns, (Tallapoosa Co) has been refreshing because it's a different area and the families are so helpful in providing any info they can. Thanks for the info on CSA pension for Nancy. That is definitely must have info. Thanks for the file on Elisha, I can't wait to get into it. Cheryl, you are so helpful and I want you to know not only do I appreciate the info but I appreciate you. Mary

Posted: 15 Jul 2007 2:19AM GMT
mary, my name is carol joiner russell,iam a descendant of zedekiah joiner,he is my greatgrandfather,levi and emma are my grandparents. i would love to share info. with you. please contact me @ carolrussell3@knology.net

Joiner,Joyner in Conecuh County, AL

Posted: 15 Jul 2007 3:48AM GMT
Descendants of Elisha Joyner, Sr.

1 Elisha Joyner, Sr. Born: Abt. 1790 in NC Died: Aft. 1880 in AL
.. +Elizabeth Rogers Born: Abt. 1795 in NC Died: Aft. 1880 m: Bet. 1809 - 1810
.... 2 Elisha Joyner, Jr. Born: 15 Sep 1810 in Ga Died: 10 Oct 1865 in Conecuh Co, AL Burial: Joyner Cemetery, near Burnt Corn, AL
........ +Adaline 'Unknown' Joyner Born: 08 Dec 1817 in Georgia Died: 11 Feb 1894 in Conecuh Co, AL Burial: Joyner Cemetery, near Burnt Corn, AL m: Bef. 1837
........... 3 Martha D. Joyner Born: Abt. 1837 in AL Died: Unknown
........... 3 Berry Hill Joyner Born: 31 Oct 1839 in AL Died: 03 Jul 1863 in Conecuh CO, AL Burial: Joyner Cemetery, Conecuh County, AL
........... 3 Charlotte Joyner Born: 01 Apr 1841 in AL Died: 28 Sep 1932 in Conecuh Co, AL Burial: Witherington Cemetery
............... +James Edward Ellis Born: 05 Apr 1841 in Conecuh Co, AL Died: 21 Sep 1913 in China, Conecuh Co, AL Burial: Witherington Cemetery m: 31 Jan 1866 Conecuh CO, AL
................. 4 William Eli Ellis Born: 17 Jan 1868 in Conecuh Co, AL Died: 18 Nov 1947 in Atmore, AL Burial: Witherington Cemetery (Mason)
..................... +Martha 'Mattie' Hines Born: 01 Mar 1869 in Conecuh Co, AL Died: 26 May 1944 in Conecuh Co, AL Burial: Witherington Cemetery m: 25 Sep 1889 Conecuh CO, AL
................. 4 John Thomas Ellis Born: 11 Aug 1870 in Conecuh Co, AL Died: 1949 in Clanton City Cem., Chilton Co, AL
..................... +Alma Latham Born: Unknown m: 24 Aug 1901 Montevallo, AL
................. 4 Alice Jane Ellis Born: 25 Mar 1873 in Conecuh Co, AL Died: 31 Oct 1959 in Conecuh Co, AL Burial: Witherington Cemetery
..................... +John Edward Witherington Born: 30 Apr 1866 in Conecuh CO, AL Died: 24 Feb 1944 in Conecuh CO, AL Burial: Witherington Cemetery m: 25 Jan 1894 Conecuh CO, AL
................. 4 James Sydney Ellis Born: 25 Jan 1876 in Conecuh Co, AL Died: 1913 in Shelby Co, TX (Carroll Cem.)
..................... +Nancy Elizabeth Carroll Born: 1879 Died: 1954 in Shelby County, TX (Carroll Cemetery)
................. 4 Frances Corrine Ellis aka: Fannie Born: 24 Jul 1878 in Conecuh Co, AL Died: 29 Aug 1946 in Conecuh Co, AL Burial: Witherington Cemetery
..................... +Walter C. Simmons Born: 13 Sep 1875 Died: 18 Aug 1955 in Conecuh Co, AL Burial: Witherington Cemetery m: 14 Feb 1915 Conecuh CO, AL
................. 4 George Rennie Ellis Born: 16 Jan 1881 in Conecuh Co, AL Died: 01 Aug 1902 in Conecuh Co, AL Burial: Witherington Cemetery
................. 4 Richard Carey Ellis Born: 30 Jul 1883 in Conecuh Co, AL Died: 13 Nov 1957 in Conecuh Co, AL Burial: Witherington Cemetery
..................... +Annie Lake Northcutt aka: Annie Born: 25 Apr 1889 in AL Died: 05 Oct 1969 in Conecuh Co, AL Burial: Witherington Cemetery m: 13 Dec 1906 Evergreen, Conecuh Co, AL
........... 3 Matilda Joyner Born: 27 Oct 1842 in AL Died: 09 Mar 1907 in AL Burial: Fairfield Cemetery, Conecuh County, AL
............... +Frank M. Dean Born: Abt. 1839 in AL Died: Unknown Burial: Fairfield Cemetery, Conecuh County, AL m: 19 Nov 1866 Conecuh Co, AL
........... 3 Wiley T. Joyner Born: Abt. 1845 in AL Died: Aft. 1911
........... 3 George W. Joyner Born: Abt. 1846 in AL Died: 27 Nov 1911 in Conecuh CO, AL
........... 3 Zachary Taylor Joyner Born: 19 Aug 1848 in AL Died: 21 Aug 1872 in Probably Conecuh Co, AL Burial: Joyner Cemetery, 8 miles east of Burnt Corn
........... 3 William W. Joyner Born: Apr 1852 in AL Died: Unknown
............... +Sarah Born: Abt. 1856 in AL Died: Unknown m: Abt. 1871
.... 2 William Joel Joyner Born: 1822 in AL
.... 2 Anne Joyner Born: Abt. 1826 in AL
.... 2 Phoebe Joyner Born: Abt. 1828 in AL
.... 2 Jacob Joyner Born: Abt. 1830 in AL
.... 2 James Ashley Joyner Born: 04 Aug 1835 in Gravella, Conecuh Co, AL Died: 20 Aug 1910 in Buried at Olive Branch Baptist Church Cem., Owassa, Conecuh Co., AL
........ +Nancy Johnson Born: Unknown
.... 2 Charlotte Joyner I Born: Abt. 1838 in AL Died: Unknown
........ +Isiah Pate Born: Unknown Died: Unknown

Posted: 12 Oct 2007 2:15AM GMT
Surnames: Joyner, Mims, Montgomery, George
i'm kin to the joyner's, and montgomery.
get in touch. all from alabama.

Posted: 12 Oct 2007 3:08AM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Mims, Ethridge, Mosley, Jay
I'm kin to the Mims and Etheridge. Please e-mail me at cpink@flash.net.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic