Search for content in message boards

Hoffs of South Carolina

Hoffs of South Carolina

Posted: 18 Nov 2003 5:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Nov 2005 4:15PM GMT
Surnames: HOFF/GETCH/HORTON
Looking for ancestry of Robert Stephen (Stepen) David (Davis)
Hoff. Married Mary Ann Getch (Gatch). I know of one child born to them, Selena W. Hoff, born 5 JULY 1862. She married James R. Horton. This Hoff line was from Colleton, South Carolina.
Any info appreciated.
Shari

Re: Hoffs of South Carolina

Posted: 11 May 2005 11:59PM GMT
Surnames: Gatch Hoff
Also have the Hoff Gatch connection to Round O, SC. Would love to trade what little information I have. Azalea Olivia Hoff was said to be the child of Daniel Robert Hoff and Gatch.
Bouy@pobox.com

Bouy

Posted: 12 May 2005 1:45PM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2005 4:15PM GMT
Surnames: Gatch
Great!
I have the book, "South Carlina Gatches and Their Descendents", by Frances Anne Amason Gatch and Helen Ruth Childress Gatch. I am wondering how accurate it is. It is 341 pages long. There is little info on Robert Hoff and Mary Gatch. My husband's grandmother was Selena Hoff (may be gr-grandmother). I have one too many names running in my head!
Shari

Bouy (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 2005 12:26AM GMT
Shari,

I just ordered the Gatch book but I fear it will not have anything on Harriett Gatch or Daniel Robert Hoff. Daniel was born around 1858 and Harriett 1852. She had first married a Plate(?) and had a child living with them in 1880 named Lilly Plate(?). They also had their child Mary who was 4 months old. I cannot find a Daniel or Harriett in another census with the same birthdates. Would you like to send the reply straight to my e-mail? It is bouy@pobox.com

Bouy

James Rhea (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 2005 10:53PM GMT
I am descended, through my mother Anne Vermelle Gatch, from Josiah Perry Gatch and Mary Anne Elizabeth Hoff all of Round O, Colleton County, South Carolina. It is my understanding that she was the daughter of John Stephen Hoff and Mary Amanda Ayer. I'm interested in finding out more information abou the Hoff, Ayer and Gatch lines.

Posted: 25 Oct 2007 3:11AM GMT
I'm also descended from the Hoff family of Colleton County, South Carolina. My great-grandmother was Mary Ann Elizabeth Hoff, daughter of John Hoff (1825-1878) and Mary Amanda Ayer (1829-1906). My great-grandmother Mary Ann Elizabeth Hoff (1855-1930) was married to Josiah Perry Gatch. They had many children, but one was named Selena Catherine Gatch.

I have to wonder if your David Hoff may have been a brother to my Mary Ann Elizabeth Hoff but I don't have much information about her family yet. My records, howeber, show that my Josiah Perry Gatch had a sister Mary Ann or Anny Mary Gatch (1839-1913).

I'm happy to share any of the information I have with you, especially since it is quite possible that we share two lines.

Posted: 25 Oct 2007 1:26PM GMT
Do you have any information in the 1700's for the Hoff's in South Carolina? I have a feeling that they were originally Van Marjenhoff's. I can not find anything to absolutly prove that though. My ancestor from S.C. was William Hoff. He left S.C., went to Georgia, married Sarah Breed, and the went on to Louisiana and later Mississippi. I am looking for definite proof of William Hoff parentage. If anyone has this, I would love to hear. Thank you.

Posted: 25 Oct 2007 2:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hoff, Gatch, Gesch, Odell, McGinnis,
Sorry, I do not have a whole lot of info on the Hoff family.
I have the book, South Carolina Gatches and their Descendents. This is more about the Gatch family lines. From it, Godfried GESCH, age 37, with wife and 3 sons, arrived in St. Catherine's the end of June 1709 (England). On June 2, 1709 a boatload of Palatine "refugee" people were fleeing Prussian military conscription. Many of these people were in England for many years awaiting passage to the Americas. Between 1715-1717, they arrived in America to work off their indentures for passage. Many of these families were in NY, Maryland---and eventually made their way southward. So many families split with brothers, etc., going in different directions (KY and OH).

My dad's family lines came from NJ. My 3rd great grandmother, Rachel ODell, married Peter Huff. Rachel was widowed and remarried William McGinnis. Peter came to Harrodsburg, KY and was a Rev. War hero. I have been told that Peter's family originally were called HOFF--but can't find anything to show that.

Wish I could be of more help.

You might try looking in NY genealogy for your William Hoff.

Posted: 25 Oct 2007 3:24PM GMT
Surnames: Hoff
In my book, South Carolina Gatches and their Descendents, there is mention of Josiah Perry Gatch, s/o James William Gatch. Josiah was b. 8-30-1850, Colleton Co. SC. He m. Ann Elizabeth Hoff, ca 1874. Josiah d. 12-24-1928 in Round O. SC. Ann was b. 7-18-1855 in Colleton Co. She d. 1-26-1930 in Round O.
Children:
James William, Mary Rosella, Lemuel Oswald, Selena Catherine, David Thaddeus, Allen Joseph, John Stephen, Mary Amanda, Mary Ethel, Irving Josiah.

James William Gatch shows b. ca 1804, s/o John Gatch (3). This John was married to Martha Unknown. James William Gatch was known as "Bundy". He was an overseer at the Middleton Plantation near Charleston. James was an extensive property owenr and raised pure-bred hourses. He owned 15 slaves. He died in 1861, Round O. Cemetery, Gloverville, SC.
James m. Sarah B. Smith, ca 1828. She was b. ca 1807 and d. ca 1867. Burial at Round O.
Children were James Edward, William Henry, Sarah Margaret, John David, Thomas, Maria Elizabeth, Ann Mary, Franklin Durant, Irving H., Charles W. Oswald, Susan Selena, Josiah Perry, Joseph, Michael H., Janie.

Selena W. Hoff was the d/o Robert David Stephen and Mary Ann Gatch Hoff/Ann Mary. I really have nothing back on Robert Stephen David Gatch. I don't know if that is his full name. Some show Ann Mary as Mary Ann, but her obit shows Mrs. A.M. Hoff.
The obit for Robert David and Ann Mary Gatch Hoff can be found at Beaufort Co. SC library.
Mrs. A.M. Hoff died at the home of daughter, Mrs. J. R. Horton, March 5, 1913. She was native of Cottageville. She was 78 yrs. old. Survived by two daughters, Mrs. J. R. Horton (Selena W. Hoff m. James Robert Horton). Mrs. C. C. Reeves of Cottageville, and one son, Mr. G. W. Hoff of Cottageville. (Date of obit March 14, 1913)

Robert David Gatch age 61 died at his home in Sheldon on Friday. Funeral Services were held at Sheldon Baptist Church with interment at Ridgeland Cemetery. He was a well known farmer and a Deacon of the church. Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Jeanette Davis Gatch and following sons and daughters, all of Sheldon. B. Douglas, Robert D. Jr., John D. Gatch, Misses Della and Mildred Gatch. Brothers and sisters surviving, J. Henry of Sheldon, Charles Fred of Yemassee, and Mrs. R. P. Youmans of Early Branch and Mrs. R. E. Woods of Savannah, GA (date of obit, Jan. 30, 1936)

Note: Surname of Hoff can also be found as Huff. Selena W. Huff was b. 7-5-1865. She d. 11-22-1919. James Robert Horton was b. 7-5-1862 (note they had same birthday). James d. 7-6-1939 in Beaufort. Both were buried at Sand Hill Cemetery.

This is all I have at this time. Many of these folks married first and second cousins---and names within family lines tend to be same over and over. Some men likely dropped a name, for example, Robert David. At times, he likely went by Robert--and other times as David.

Shari

Posted: 25 Oct 2007 5:04PM GMT
I wonder if it is the same family. The unfortunate thing is that there are SEVERAL William Hoff's. I can not pin down who the father was of my William Hoff. The earliest I know is that he was born about 1775 in South Carolina, but the parents so far have alluded me in hard records. Thanks for your response. Maybe someone out there has the information.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic