Search for content in message boards

VT and MA Proutys

VT and MA Proutys

Posted: 7 Jul 2007 9:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PROUTY
Are all the MA to VT Proutys related? My two uncles married two Prouty sisters in southern VT, daughters of Charles A Prouty, born 1874 in Putney, VT. I believe his father was born in Amherst, MA. Any connections?

Re: VT and MA Proutys

Posted: 11 Jul 2007 8:47AM GMT
Surnames: Prouty
Yes, all the Proutys are related. Charles A. Prouty's father was Charles S. Eaton Prouty. Charles A. would have been my 5th cousin, four times removed. Which two of the daughters did your uncles marry? What were your uncles' names? I don't have Charles' daughters' husbands'. Thanks, Louise Prouty

Posted: 11 Jul 2007 4:56PM GMT
Surnames: DOYLE, MATHER, PROUTY
Thank you for the information. My uncle, Dwight Carroll Doyle, married Fanny Agnes Prouty and they lived in West Brattleboro, VT. His brother, Ralph Edward Doyle, married Sarah Isabel Prouty, and they were also in West Brattleboro.
Fanny died in May 1978 and Sarah in January 1988.
The Doyles were sons of Thomas Martin Doyle and Louella (Lella, Lilla) Mather.
Do you know which of the Proutys adopted Charles S Eaton Prouty? I have some info on his natural parents.
Thanks for sharing.

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 5:33AM GMT
Surnames: Prouty, Eaton
Charles S. Eaton Prouty was adopted by James Barrell Prouty and his wife, Florella Graves Prouty. Charles S. Eaton was the son of Hubbard and Laura Ingram Eaton and was adopted due to his father's death at an early age. Hubbard Eaton and James Prouty were life-long friends. He is mentioned in James B. Prouty's will as "my adopted son, Charles E. Prouty". His natural father and mother were both born in Amherst, Mass.
Do you know who Stella and Georgianna married? Also, do you know the last names of Charles Arthur Prouty's wives?
If you know any of the girls' children, would you let me know? Thanks

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 5:23PM GMT
is anyone of these Prouty's connected to Emory Prouty of Spencer,and Palmer Ma. who married Nellie McCully of N.B.canada? they lived in Palmer Ma. from 1900 to death. they adopted a son sometime between 1901 and the 1910 census. Frank was born oct. 8, 1899 Hubbardston. at least by all records I have. birth name maybe Coles, Cowles, or Kenyon. thanks Judy dragonfly@atlantic.net

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 6:40PM GMT
Stella married a Houghton, first name unknown to me. Georgia married John E Joyce, and Frances married Edward H Shufelt. I just have this info from censuses - no other dates and had not pursued it at this point.
I only knew of one wife of Charles A. - Helen Agnes. I have seen her last name as both Davis and Vivien - unless there are two Helens!
I don't know of any connection to an Emory Prouty.

Posted: 13 Jul 2007 5:21AM GMT
Surnames: Prouty, Dyer
In the 12 Apr 1930 Brattleboro census Charles is married to Mae L.b. Pennsylvania in 1882. Her three daughters, Edith, Elaine and Doris Dyer lived with the couple.

Posted: 13 Jul 2007 11:37PM GMT
Info I have -
VT Vital Records, p. 1324
Charles A Prouty, age 30, married Helen A Vivian on 15 Dec 1903. Son of Charles E Prouty and Cora S Walker.

Vital Records of Putney, VT, page 94
Births/Baptisms
Agnes Helen (Davis), wife of Charles A Prouty, 17 Oct 1877

Could there be two Charles A Proutys born in Putney?

Posted: 13 Jul 2007 11:56PM GMT
Just found my other notes - in 1930 census, I have
Charles E Prouty age 83,head
Corintha Prouty, age 86, wife
Charles Prouty, son, age 56.

In a separate household,
Helen A Prouty age 53,head
Edward Shufelt, age 24 son-in-law
Frances A Shufelt, age 16, daughter

In 1920, I have
Charles E Prouty, head, age 73
Corintha S Prouty, age 75, wife
Arthur C. Prouty age 45, son
Fanny A. Prouty, age 15, grandaughter (my aunt)

In a separate household
Helen Prouty, age 43, head
Stella M Prouty, age 13, daughter
Sarah E Prouty, age 11, daughter
Georgiana Prouty, age 10, daughter
Frances H Prouty, age 6, daughter.

In 1910, he is listed as Arthur and is with Helen and four daughters. Apparently they separated between 1914 and 1920.

Posted: 14 Jul 2007 5:36AM GMT
No, this is the same Charles. Agnes Helen Davis Vivian was married in 1900 and was listed with her mother, Myra Davis and sister Stella Davis Noyes and her husband A. Noyes. Agnes listed her birthday as Oct 1876. They are living in Orange, Orange Co., Vt on 8 Jun 1900 ED 146, Sheet 4, line 15
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions