Search for content in message boards

John Jameson/Jamison

John Jameson/Jamison

Ann Stewart (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2004 11:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jameson/Jamison, Patrick
John Jameson, of Sackville St., in Dublin, IR, died June, 1845, left inheritance to his sister, Ann Jameson Patrick, born Glasgow, Scotland, 1785, by then living in Pittsburgh, PA. He is supposed to have had a fleet of ships (?), been involved with the East India Trading Company. But that company was no longer in business by then, did not have offices in Dublin. Was he connected with the Jameson Whiskey business? Where can I find a business listing for him?? Any information would be most helpful. Many thanks

Re: John Jameson/Jamison

Posted: 9 Jul 2008 11:50PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 6 Jun 2012 2:25PM GMT

Posted: 10 Jul 2008 12:16AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 6 Jun 2012 2:24PM GMT

Posted: 10 Jul 2008 6:28AM GMT
Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Directory 1845 gives the following.

James Jameson Distiller 50 Marrowbone Lane residence "Montrose" Stillorgan Rd.

John Jameson & Son Licenced Distillers Bow St. Res. 42 Prussia St.

John Jameson Mail Coach Owner 21 Sackville St Lower.

Purcell, & Jameson Coach Propietors & Coach builders Russell Place, Circular Rd.

Purcell, Taylor & Jameson Propietors of the Imperial Hotel, 21 & 22 Sackville St Lower.

Jameson, Pim & Co Brewers 28 Ann St North.

12 Smithfield William Wilson Jameson Esq. including Distillery at Bow St.

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 9:28PM GMT
There are no records in Ireland about who emigrated, where they went or what happened to them after emigration. Millions of people emigrated from Ireland and went all over the world.

Ships passenger records were handed in at the ports of arrival. If your ancestor was in Massachusettes, you can search the ships passenger records for Boston which are in Boston. Post on the Suffolk County Message Board, the county Boston is located in, about how those records can be accessed.

If you search the US census records for him you will see when he emigrated to the US. The US census records are all online until 1930 fully searchable by surname.

There are no census records surviving in Ireland before 1901. There is no civil registration/vital records before 1864.

Have you searched the US census records for him? His civil and church death records, obituary may include his parents names and where he was born in Ireland. You can search for his US church and civil marriage record to see if that includes his birthplace in Ireland. His children's civil and church birth/baptismal records may include where he was born. His US naturalization records may also include his birthplace in Ireland.

There are 32 counties in Ireland with 64,000 towns and townlands where he may have been born. Because he was born before vital records started in Ireland church parish records for his birthplace in Ireland would be the possible source for a baptismal record for him. Not all church records have survived for all locations for all religious denominations.

There are thousands of parishes in Ireland. Hence you need to find his birth location in Ireland from his US records. to identify what church parish he might have been born in.

Jack

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 6:53PM GMT
Surnames: Webster, Patrick,Wallace, Jameson
Are you still around and interested in John Jameson. I am his sister Anne's GGg grandson. I have a tree you can access if you like. It would appear you are familiar with the Schultz book? I have expanded on her great work a bit. But still only have the Jameson family in Glasgow.

Posted: 23 May 2012 2:49PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 7 Jun 2012 2:22PM GMT

Posted: 24 May 2012 10:31PM GMT
Hi ... you may already know that there are lots of Jamieson (+ variants) names at irishgenealogy.ie, which might be of interest.
Regards

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 3:22PM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2013 3:25PM GMT
Hi I am not familiar with the "Schultz" book. Could you enlighten me? My Jamesons came from the Lordship Ballymascanlan Ravensdale Dulargy area of Louth Ireland emigrating to MA in 1853. I am sure the generation before was in Scotland, but I don't have the proof. jamesonnadeau@rgv.rr.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions