Search for content in message boards

FRENCH cemetery

FRENCH cemetery

Posted: 15 Mar 2003 7:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: FRENCH
Does anyone have any information about the FRENCH cemetery?

Thank you.

Re: FRENCH cemetery

Keith French (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 2003 11:06PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
If reffering to French Cemetery in Moultrie County Illinois I have family there, and own plots. e-mail with questions and I will answer if I can.

Alicia AW Morgason (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jun 2003 3:16AM GMT
Surnames: French, ELdridge, Goodwin, Delana, Purvis, Misenhiemer
French Cemetery is located in the S.W. 1/2 of the S.E. 1/4 of section 20 T. 13 N. R. 6 E. of the 3rd P.M. East Nelson Township, Moultrie County, IL.

If you are planning a trip to the cemetery,....it is southwest of the town of Allenville. (south out of Allenville - cross RR tracks,....I think first cross road, turn back to the west -- I know that there is a sign directing you to the cemetery).

The following information was printed in "Moultrie County, Illinois Cemetery Inscriptions Volume II" and was written by Henrietta Dennis Jesse:

"The French cemetery was initiated during the eighteen seventies on the farm of William French, Sr., located southwest of Allenville in Section 20, Township 13, Range 6 East. Many of the graves are those of the descendants of this Farmer-Minister and Civil War Veteran who came to Moultrie County in 1833 from North Carolina by way of Tennessee. The first interment was the child of Sylvester Davis. A monument marks the grave of Sylvester E. Davis and the other ones are marked with small stones. One of these stones, also, marks the grave of a veteran named Lou Barden. The cemetery ground was not officially deeded to trustees until William French, Sr. died and his son, Andrew Jackson French, took care of the legal details. The deed was made to the trustees in 1892. Simeon French, another son of William, was one of the trustees. Unlike many of the early cemeteries, the French has had three land additions. Two more plots were given by Andrew Jackson French. One of these was in 1931. Another plot was purchased from Ruth and Hildreth E. Walker and Mable Judd in August of 1961. During the funeral of Mrs. Elderidge (Matilda) A. Goodwin in 1897, the weather was so bad that the children nearly froze. It was then decided to build a chapel. Instead, Jack French, Walter Delana, John D. Purvis, and Columbia Misenhiemer went to the 1905 St. Louis World'sFair and purchased a building complete with chairs. This was moved adjacent to the cemetery. These same chairs have recently been given to families of the interred for keepsakes. There never was an organized church but church and Sunday school were well attended. The chapel is now used for Memorial Services only. The families, in the past, gathered once a year to clean and decorate the graves of their ancestors and loves ones, eat a picnic dinner and hold serviced in the afternoon. The cleaning is now done by caretakers but the practice of gathering for Memorial Services is still observed on the Sunday following Memorial Day. It has recently been learned that one the new additions contains a section of unidentified graves, of which, as yet, no records have been found. Any information concerning this of the United Brethren Church near this location will be appreciated. Anyone with information on the above or anyone desiring more information on the French family may contact Mrs. Olaf French, R.F.D #1, Sullivan, IL 61951"

The above article was printed in the inscription book in 1971.

There are still French's living in the Sullivan, IL area, but I don't see any listing for the above mentioned Olaf French.

Posted: 10 Mar 2004 7:29PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jul 2004 3:50AM GMT
(7) Rachel Rosa “Rose” Ellen Mallory Jan 1860 IN d 1946 Moultrie, French Cem. = 19 May 1878 at Mallory Home Moultrie, IL Andrew Jackson French Feb 1856 Moultrie
(8) James L French 1879
(8) Francis French Aug 1880
(8) Samuel J French Jul 1882
(8) Frederick Jackson French 7 Jun 1884 Allenville Moutrie co IL = 29 Oct 1905 Rhoda Bell Misenheimer 16 May 1889 Moultrie co IL
(9) Paul dean French 5 Aug 1906 d 29 Aug 1981 = (1) 21 Dec 1927 Julia Irene Bailey (2) 17 Dec 1941 IA Viola Walden
(9) Joy Leona French 15 Sep 1909 = (1) Howard Braden (2) 5 Jan 1929 Delbert Minton Conder
(10) Evelyn Louise Conder 22 Nov 1929 died same day bur Decatur IL
(10) Living Conder = Carl conder
(11) 2 Conder children
(9) Thelma allena French 12 Nov 1911= 7 Jun 1930 Shelbyville John Monska 4 feb 1908 Glesenkirchen GER
(10) three children
(8) Joseph C French Mar 1886
(8) Reba B French Jan 1888
(8) Leenah French Oct 1889
(8) Orien French Feb 1894
(8) George A French Feb 1899

Posted: 10 Mar 2004 7:41PM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2005 8:18AM GMT
I don't know the exact relationship, but Rhoda Misenhiemer married Andrew Jackson French's son, Frederick Jackson French.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic