Search for content in message boards

patrick rooney

patrick rooney

Posted: 4 Oct 2001 2:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Apr 2005 1:21AM GMT
I have found one distant cousin from this website.We are still looking for info on Patrick Rooney and family who lived in S. norwalk,Ct. We know that he had children anne, john, james(font), fredrick, martha, joseph and ellen. I have made contact with Anne's great grandddaughter but we are still hoping to find more info. Patrick was born in Ireland in 1839.

Re: patrick rooney

Posted: 13 Jul 2002 3:34AM GMT
Your mention of James Font is interesting.

A John Font (born abt 1840) married a Catherine Rooney in Dublin, Ireland abt 1866.

Their eldest was James born in 1867.

The family emigrated to Newcastle-on-Tyne, England shortly after and had children John, Mary Ann, Francis, Patrick, Catherine (and possibly Michael).

In the 1881 census, I have found this family. Mary Ann died young

Kate Rooney, the mother dies about 1882 aged 40.

John the husband, may have remarried and eventually died in 1916.

Patrick, the son fought in WWI, there is a mention in PRO WWI records in Kew, London. He died in 1922.
Francis died in 1916. Catherine died in 1922.

THis family tree died out with John the son when he died in 1943.

Returning to the 1881 census for this family, the son James is missing from the list, he has disappeared. Could he be to do with your family?

Dave Font

Posted: 10 Feb 2003 2:56AM GMT
Edited: 23 Apr 2005 1:21AM GMT
Sorry, but my grandfather's middle name was Alphonse and his nickname that he adopted as his middle name was Font. He went by James Font Rooney

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 1:15AM GMT
Dear David,

I am the great granddaughter of Martin Font, son of John and Catherine (nee Rooney).

Martin, born 1875 in Newcastle, was a Home Child who "emigrated" to Canada aboard the Numidian in 1891, landing in Quebec.

He had 4 children and passed away in Niagara Falls, Ontario. He is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery in London, Middlesex Co., Ontario, Canada.

We have just ths week made contact with 2 of his descendants here in Canada.

If this line is any use to you, please reply and I'd be happy to share what I have.

Regards,
Cathy in Canada

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 2:44PM GMT
What is meant by term "Home Child". I've not seen it before. LouG

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 4:41PM GMT
Home Children were youngsters (ages 4-15) from England who were sent to live in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa between 1869 and 1930 (although the program was not completely ended until the 1970s).

The children were indentured until age 18.

You can read about it at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~britishhom...

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 6:54AM GMT
Hello Cathy
Thank you for your message, yes I would happy to receive information about Martin Font and his descendants

Whether I am related (distantly) I do not know as I have only been to go back to the 1790's In Liverpool, England.

However DNA testing has shown I am related to Faunt's who currently live in Delaware/New Jersey USA - a common ancester being aound 1550 - 1600 in Ireland

The Faunts originated from Tipperary/Cork/Limerick area and is likely Font was originally Faunt in Ireland.

The surname suggests a French origin perhaps Fant or L'enfant
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions