Search for content in message boards

Kennedy of Culleens, Sligo

Kennedy of Culleens, Sligo

Posted: 26 Aug 2002 4:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Mar 2004 7:03PM GMT
Surnames: KENNEDY, SWENNY
Looking for any relations to my maternal grandmother's family.

Belinda Kennedy b.abt. 1902 in Cullens, Co. Sligo. emigrated to Chicago and married Robert Nugent. Her brothers and sisters are Mary Jane Kennedy Kenny, Katherine Kennedy Hennessy, and Eugene and Tom Kennedy who also emigrated to Chicago area. Others that remained in Sligo were Ellen, Jim, and John.

Belinda's parents were Eugene "Owen" Kennedy b. 1867 d. 1923 and Mary Fody (Foody?). b. 1871 d. 1957 in Cullens. Owen and Mary briefly lived in the U.S. they were married in Philadelphia in 1896, but returned to Culleens in 1899.

Owen's parents were Anthony Kennedy and Bridget Swenny Kennedy also of Culleens. Owen's brothers and sisters were Martin, Jim, Patrick, Tom, Mary Kennedy Handly, Merta Kennedy Dorigan, Jane Kennedy Kinehart.

Any help would be appreciated. I think Ellen Kennedy (married name unknown) was living in the early 1990's - do not know the names of her decendents, or any others of this family in Ireland.

Re: Kennedy of Culleens, Sligo

Chris Kennedy (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2002 9:45AM GMT
Surnames: Kennedy, Farris, Crean, Kilcullen, Brady, Egan, McGowan, Carty, Forde,
Hi,

My family came from Culleens Sligo and I have a Kennedy line there. Could you drop me a line and we can compare notes?

Chris Kennedy, New York

Posted: 13 Nov 2002 10:33AM GMT
Surnames: NUGENT, KENNEDY, GRIFFIN, MCMAHON
Hi Chris,

I would be happy to share information with you. Tried to reach you by e-mail, but did not. I can send a gedcom file if you are interested.

Thanks,
Mary

Steve Murray (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2002 11:36AM GMT
Surnames: Murray, Farris, Hegarty,Kennedy, Kavanagh
We're probably distantly related; my family "the Murrays" lived right on the main road thru Culleeens where the "river' or more like a creek runs under the road right down the hill from "Tuffy's";

my ggrandmother -Mary Farris' mother was a Nancy Kennedy probably born c.1800

how far back do you have records?? have you been to Culleens? I'm in touch by email with the local pastor

Cheers,

Brenda Williams (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2002 9:44PM GMT
Surnames: Farris Handly/Hanley, Kennedy, Hennigan, Hegarty, Kearney
My gggrandmother was also Nancy Kenedy married to Charles Farris. My father was Patrick Farris who married Anne Handly and who also stayed in the Culleens area and brought up his 10 children. I know a lot about the families as I have a web-site that has a lot of the records for this area. You may wish to take a look at http://www.puregolduk.com/bren/kilglass_co_sligo1.htm

I went to Culleens 2 years ago and went to Tuffy's and met my 2nd cousin once removed Mary who lives in the house that my ggrandparents lived and where my grandfather also Patrick Farris was born in 1874. Her grandmother was my grandfather's elder sister Anne Farris. I also met the 2 Farris brothers that live in the house that Charles Farris & Nancy Kenedy brought their children up. They live opposite Paddy Murray who lives in the house that you mention as his ggrandmother was also Mary Farris, daughter of Charles Farris & Nancy Kennedy. I have much more I could tell you so you may wish to email me separately from the message board..

I have not been able to ascertain to which Kenedy family Nancy belongs - have you?

As for the other names on the list: Murray, Farris, Hegarty, Kennedy, Kavanagh - my research surnames are as follows:
Farris, Kenedy, Handly/Hanley, Hennigan from Co. Sligo and Hegarty, Dougherty,Kearney, McColl of Co. Donegal.

My grandfather Patrick Farris married Helen Hegarty in Scotland in 1902.

Posted: 23 Nov 2002 11:10PM GMT
Hi Steve,

Thanks for writing. I have traced back to Anthony and Bridget (Sweeney) Kennedy. My line is:

Anthony Kennedy and Bridget Sweeney (m. 1864)
Owen Kennedy and Mary Foody (m. 1896)
Belinda Kennedy and Robert Nugent (m. 1930)
Robert James Nugent and Helen Nugent (m. 1959)
Mary M. Nugent (me) and Patrick Twigg

I understand Owen has a number of brothers and sisters (I have the names) but don't know their decendents. This is where I am searing now. Are you connected to Anthony and Bridget? That would give me a point of reference for the names and generations (dates).

Thanks!
Mary

Posted: 23 Nov 2002 11:15PM GMT
Surnames: FARRIS, KENEDY, HANDLY, HENNIGAN
I wrote earlier and just to correct an error - Patrick Farris who married Anny Handly was my ggrandfather.

Posted: 23 Nov 2002 11:24PM GMT
Hi Brenda!

Thanks so much for your post. I do want to speak off-line ...
We have a lot to share. Your web-site is excellent. I will be posting one of my own soon, with a focus on people and pictures.

I am on my way out the door to a concert this evening - and I will write to you tomorrow in much greater detail. Looking forward to it!!!

Posted: 26 Nov 2002 10:07PM GMT
Surnames: KENNEDY of Culleens, Co. Sligo
Hi Mary,

I received your email that you wrote quickly as you were going out to a concert. I don't know if you've written or not but just to let you know that I haven't received anything from you on my personal email. My email address is bpworle@yahoo.co.uk
Brenda

Posted: 12 Oct 2007 1:08AM GMT
Surnames: Hennigan
I'm looking for Sligo Hennigan', possibly Mary b 1855 and a Patrick b1846 (same family/cousins?)Ballymote perhaps?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic