Edited: 21 Nov 2006 2:08AM GMT
Surnames: Chadwick, Burnap
Samuel Chadwick
Birth: About 1700 in Falmouth, Barnstable Co., Massachusetts
Death: About December 1749 in Straits, Carteret Co., North Carolina

Parents: Unknown
Wife: Mary (Unknown Maiden Name)
Moved to Carteret County, North Carolina about 1725
Issued a whaling license in 1726 (Carteret County, North Carolina)

Ephraim Chadwick, Ebenezer Chadwick and John Burnap who were also from the same area in Massachusetts as Samuel Chadwick arrived in Carteret County, North Carolina about the same time as Samuel Chadwick. It's thought that they may have traveled to Carteret together. It has been suggested that Samuel Chadwick, Ephraim Chadwick and Ebenezer Chadwick may have been closely related, possibly brothers or first cousins.

Any information on Samuel's family in Massachusetts would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Samuel Chadwick (ca. 1700-49)

Posted: 19 Dec 2005 2:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Nov 2006 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: CHADWICK
I have a Samuel CHADWICK born about 1719 / 20.
I believed he married Elizabeth Price about 1780.
He died 1780 in Lee, Berkshire County, MA.
He had several children born n Barstable, MA.
Rose, Abiathar, Archelus and Samuel. I don't have much more than this. I do not know of any of them moving to NC

Posted: 23 Mar 2007 8:56PM GMT
I'm also researching Samuel Chadwick b. abt. 1700 in
Barnstable Co., MA. Were you ever able to establish
a connection between Samuel Chadwick and Ephriam and
Ebenzer Chadwick? I can find nothing on his parents.
The only Samuel I've been able to locate that comes
close was born in 1719-20 in MA, but died there as well,
not in Carteret Co., NC.

Also, Samuel's son, Rueben b.abt.1740, had a daughter
Sophia/Sophronia Chadwick b.abt. 1762. She married
Francis Eslick b.abt. 1760. Francis is my 6th great-
grandfather.

This whole Chadwick line seem to be a bit of mystery.
Any information you might have of them would be greatly
appreciated. You can email me directly at hess3325@aol.com.

Thanks in advance for you help,
Stephanie Lewis

Posted: 23 Mar 2007 10:22PM GMT
there has been a rumor that they were brothers, but I've found nothing to comfirm that, and I have been unable to determine Samuel's parents as well.

I do have in my FTM files that Sophronia Chadwick marred Francis Eslick about 1783 and have six children from them. I only have a name for one son though Samuel Eslick born in Onslow Co. I don't have any thing beyond Sophronia's cildren in that line. I'd like to compare data.

----

Descendants of Sophronia Chadwick

Generation No. 1

1. SOPHRONIA5 CHADWICK (REUBEN4, ISAIAH3, SAMUEL2, CHADWICK1) was born Unknown in Carteret Co., North Carolina, and died Aft. 1830. She married FRANCIS ESLICK Abt. 1783. He was born Abt. 1755 in North Carolina, and died 1814.

Notes for FRANCIS ESLICK:
Was a Baptist Minister.
The surname Easlick was later shorted to Eslick.

More About FRANCIS ESLICK and SOPHRONIA CHADWICK:
Marriage: Abt. 1783

Children of SOPHRONIA CHADWICK and FRANCIS ESLICK are:
i. SAMUEL6 ESLICK, b. Onslow Co., North Carolina.
ii. UNKNOWN CHILD ESLICK, b. Onslow Co., North Carolina.
iii. UNKNOWN DAUGHTER ESLICK, b. Onslow Co., North Carolina.
iv. UNKNOWN DAUGHTER ESLICK, b. Onslow Co., North Carolina.
v. UNKNOWN SON ESLICK, b. Onslow Co., North Carolina.
vi. UNKNOWN SON ESLICK, b. Onslow Co., North Carolina.

Posted: 24 Mar 2007 4:14PM GMT
Yes, have all that info on Sophronia and Francis.
Also, have extension data on the Eslicks moving
forward I can share. Are you a Eslick descendant?
You can email directly at hess3325@aol.com.
Thanks,
Stephanie Lewis

Posted: 24 Mar 2007 6:18PM GMT
No, I'm not decended from the Eslicks, my imediate relatives were Chadwick, Lewis, Inman and Ward. Both my Chadwick and Lewis relatives came from Carteret. I am very intersted in learn more about the Eslick line. I have data on the Samuel Eslike that liked in Ky, which I know many people have as a son of Sophronia Chadwick and Francis Eslick; however although it appears that the KY Samuel's father was also named Francis Eslick, that it was a different Francis Eslick as that Frances lived past 1830 and the Francis Eslick that married Sophronia died 1814 in Onslow Co., NC.

Posted: 24 Mar 2007 11:58PM GMT
The "Eslick-Pierce Family History" goes something like this-
Francis Eslick b.abt. 1760, son of Isaac Eslick b.abt. 1740,
both possibly in Carteret Co., NC married _maybe_ Sophia.
(I believe this came about because the 1810 will of
Rueben Chadwick names Saphria Eslick, wife of Francis
Eslick). About 1789 Francis moved to TN with his brother
Levi. Francis then moved on to KY sometime between 1810-
1820 where he becamce a preacher. This is where Samuel
Eslick was born about 1784. Francis is said to have
remarried to a Widow Green from Bowling Green.

This is what I've found-

Isaac Eslick listed on the 1771,1779 Carteret Co. census
Isaac & Francis on the 1790 Carteret Co. census
Isaac on the 1800 Carteret census
Francis on the 1800 Onslow census
Francis on the 1810 Onslow census
The 1814 will of Francis Eslick in which he leave his
estate to his wife Sophia. His son Samuel is also
mentioned.

The last two items don't fit with Eslick-Pierce history.
By 1810 our Francis was supposedly in KY and possibly
remarried. Don't know if it is more than coincidence
that there are two Francis Eslicks with sons named Samuel.
Very confusing. Do you have any info on this "other"
Francis Eslick?
Thanks,
Stephanie
Thanks,

Posted: 25 Mar 2007 12:25AM GMT
Finally someone else has something simular to what I've found. I've been told several times that they moved to KY, but the dates just don't fit (I've only been told by one other person that these were different Eslicks). I don't have any more informatin of the Onslow Eslicks than you posted but here's what if have for the KY Eslicks:

Descendants of Samuel Eslick, Sr.

Generation No. 1

1. SAMUEL1 ESLICK, SR. was born Abt. 1784 in Christian Co., Kentucky, and died Bef. 1849 in Beaver Creek, Arno, Douglas Co., Missouri. He married (1) DELILAH BURDEN 1805, daughter of JAMES BURDEN and MARY BRAIN. She was born 1786 in Bourbon Co., Kentucky, and died Bef. 1810 in Butler Co., Kentucky. He married (2) LAVINIA DAVIS 1811 in Kentucky, daughter of THEODORUS DAVIS and BRIDGET HAZEL. She was born October 20, 1788 in Virginia, and died November 24, 1872 in Polk Co., Iowa.

More About SAMUEL ESLICK, SR.:
Burial: 2 miles south of Arno, Douglas Co., Missouri

More About SAMUEL ESLICK and DELILAH BURDEN:
Marriage: 1805

More About LAVINIA DAVIS:
Burial: Hopkins Grove Cemetery, Madrid, Iowa

More About SAMUEL ESLICK and LAVINIA DAVIS:
Marriage: 1811, Kentucky

Children of SAMUEL ESLICK and DELILAH BURDEN are:
i. MALE2 ESLICK, b. Abt. 1807; d. Bet. 1810 - 1812.
2. ii. SARAH ESLICK, b. Abt. 1807, Kentucky.
3. iii. ARTIS LAWRENCE ESLICK, b. Abt. 1809, Butler Co., Kentucky; d. 1862, Butler Co., Kentucky.

Children of SAMUEL ESLICK and LAVINIA DAVIS are:
iv. MD FRANCIS M.2 ESLICK, b. April 09, 1812, Kentucky; d. June 02, 1855, Webster Co., Iowa; m. MARY ANN ALCORN, February 12, 1834; b. 1817, Kentucky.

More About MD FRANCIS M. ESLICK:
Burial: Vegors Cemetery, Webster Co., Iowa

More About FRANCIS ESLICK and MARY ALCORN:
Marriage: February 12, 1834

v. PERMELIA ELLEN ESLICK, b. April 05, 1814; d. 1905; m. (1) ROBERT J. ALCORN, SR., October 31, 1833, Bartholomew Co., Indiana; b. Unknown; d. Unknown; m. (2) WILLIAM PIERCE, Abt. 1838; b. Unknown; d. Unknown.

More About ROBERT ALCORN and PERMELIA ESLICK:
Marriage: October 31, 1833, Bartholomew Co., Indiana

More About WILLIAM PIERCE and PERMELIA ESLICK:
Marriage: Abt. 1838

vi. JOHN D. ESLICK, b. October 20, 1816; d. June 01, 1902.
vii. SAMUEL ESLICK, JR., b. October 20, 1818, Kentucky; d. May 30, 1893; m. NANCY PIERCE, Abt. 1840.

More About SAMUEL ESLICK and NANCY PIERCE:
Marriage: Abt. 1840

viii. THEODORUS DAVIS ESLICK, b. September 13, 1821, Kentucky; d. May 30, 1907, Iowa; m. (1) MARTHA JANE PIERCE; b. April 05, 1829; m. (2) MARGARET LAWRENCE; b. May 11, 1847.

More About THEODORUS DAVIS ESLICK:
Burial: Vegors Cemetery, Webster Co., Iowa

ix. FRANCIS ELIZABETH ESLICK, b. September 13, 1824; d. February 21, 1921.
x. BEDEN ESLICK, b. January 30, 1826; d. Aft. 1900.
4. xi. RICHARD WILLIAM ESLICK, b. July 1831, Bartholomew Co., Indiana; d. November 30, 1904, Thornton, Limestone Co., Texas.
xii. MARY EMMALINE ESLICK, b. November 07, 1833, Indiana; d. May 04, 1902, Iowa; m. WILLIAM PHILIP SNYDER, Aft. 1850; b. Unknown; d. Bef. 1900.

More About MARY EMMALINE ESLICK:
Burial: Hopkins grove Cemetery, Madrid, Iowa

More About WILLIAM SNYDER and MARY ESLICK:
Marriage: Aft. 1850

Generation No. 2

2. SARAH2 ESLICK (SAMUEL1) was born Abt. 1807 in Kentucky. She married HENRY WHITTINGDOM.

Child of SARAH ESLICK and HENRY WHITTINGDOM is:
i. ARTIS G.3 WHITTINGDOM.

3. ARTIS LAWRENCE2 ESLICK (SAMUEL1) was born Abt. 1809 in Butler Co., Kentucky, and died 1862 in Butler Co., Kentucky. He married CECILIA MCBRIDE Abt. November 27, 1827 in Bartholomew Co., Indiana. She was born 1814 in Tennessee, and died Aft. 1880 in Webster Co., Missouri.

More About ARTIS LAWRENCE ESLICK:
Burial: Hack Snapp Cemetery, Taney Co., Missouri

More About ARTIS ESLICK and CECILIA MCBRIDE:
Marriage: Abt. November 27, 1827, Bartholomew Co., Indiana

Child of ARTIS ESLICK and CECILIA MCBRIDE is:
i. BEDEN3 ESLICK.

4. RICHARD WILLIAM2 ESLICK (SAMUEL1) was born July 1831 in Bartholomew Co., Indiana, and died November 30, 1904 in Thornton, Limestone Co., Texas. He married (1) LUCINDA JAMES Abt. 1875 in Texas. She was born Abt. 1840 in Mississippi, and died 1885 in Texas. He married (2) NANCY LEVITHU JOHNSON November 20, 1887 in Marlin, Falls Co., Texas. She was born Abt. 1840, and died 1929 in Marlin, Falls Co., Texas.

More About RICHARD ESLICK and LUCINDA JAMES:
Marriage: Abt. 1875, Texas

More About RICHARD ESLICK and NANCY JOHNSON:
Marriage: November 20, 1887, Marlin, Falls Co., Texas

Children of RICHARD ESLICK and LUCINDA JAMES are:
i. SAMUEL WYATT3 ESLICK, b. February 29, 1876, Tom Green Co., Texas; d. June 02, 1962, Tushka, Atoka Co., Oklahoma; m. LUELLA DORCUS WALKER, December 02, 1902, Wortham, Freestone Co., Texas; b. September 20, 1884, Pursley, Navarro Co., Texas; d. December 30, 1982, Gretna, Jefferson Parish, Louisana.

More About LUELLA DORCUS WALKER:
Burial: January 02, 1983, Tuska Cemetery, Atoka Co., Oklahoma

More About SAMUEL ESLICK and LUELLA WALKER:
Marriage: December 02, 1902, Wortham, Freestone Co., Texas

ii. JAMES E. ESLICK, b. July 16, 1878, Cleburne, Johnson Co., Texas; d. March 03, 1953, V.A. Hospital, North Little Rock, Arkansas; m. (1) COLBURN LENORA COPE, June 14, 1901, Pin Oak, Navarro Co., Texas; b. February 17, 1881, Navarro Co., Texas; d. December 21, 1958; m. (2) ANNIE ISOM EASTERWOOD, 1920; b. Unknown; d. 1921; m. (3) FAY FREE, March 05, 1927, Arkansas; b. 1905; d. April 1932; m. (4) MARY LEE PUTMAN, December 17, 1938, Lee Co., Arkansas; b. May 25, 1921.

More About JAMES E. ESLICK:
Burial: Marietta, Arkansas

More About JAMES ESLICK and COLBURN COPE:
Marriage: June 14, 1901, Pin Oak, Navarro Co., Texas

More About JAMES ESLICK and ANNIE EASTERWOOD:
Marriage: 1920

More About JAMES ESLICK and FAY FREE:
Marriage: March 05, 1927, Arkansas

More About JAMES ESLICK and MARY PUTMAN:
Marriage: December 17, 1938, Lee Co., Arkansas

Posted: 25 Mar 2007 3:12AM GMT
Yes, I've all that info. Most comes from the "Eslick-
Piecre Family History" by Jackie Burt. I'm descended
from Artis L. Eslick and Cecilia McBride.

They could be different lines, but I really think it
is too much of a coincidence that the 1814 Onslow
Co. will of Francis Eslick mentions his son Samuel.But...then again, the dates just don't fit with when he
was suppose to be in KY. One other bit of info I've
found- a Francis Eslick married Mary Burden in Nicholas Co.,
KY in 1807. Mary is supposed to be Deliah's, Samuel wife, older half sister. According to Eslick-Pierce history Francis did remarried when he was in KY to a widow named Green from Green Bowling. Again, the date of this second marriage doesn't fit with the 1810 census and 1814 will from Onslow Co. It's all quite confusing and a mystery.

Posted: 9 Apr 2007 3:31AM GMT
I am posting a reply under this thread so others can get the information I have passed on to a few.

1. Francis Eslick of NC died in 1814-1816. His will was proved in 1816 and it was witnessed in 1814 by Samuel.
Samuel and Sophie are mentioned in the will. Will Book A of Onslow County NC January 11, 1814

2. Samuel is repeatedly mentioned in the Records of Onslow County NC from 1810-1820.

2A.Records of Onslow County North Carolina V. II, Lincoln County Tennessee Library at Fayetteville TN. , And Huntsville Al, Madison County Library

Deed Book 4 # 74 , 1812-1813. John Brittian sells to Samuel Eslick all moveable property in exchange for Eslick's caring for him and his wife Elizabeth Brittian. July 11, 1812 Test. Thos Russell, Jas Eslick.

2B. The 1820 census lists Samuel in NC with a wife and two young daughters who do not match the daughters of Samuel of Kentucky in age. There are no boys in the census. There is also an older woman who would be Sophia presumably.
Source: National Archives, 1820 census for Onslow County NC.

3. Note above also that Jas Eslick is mentioned as a witness. James Eslick is a son of Francis.

4. Another James Eslick was brother to Francis.

Tennessee Genealogical records ( Huntsville-Madison County AL Library)
Page 29, Revolutionary Warrants #876.

"Heirs of James Eslick, private in the line of this state; 640 acres of land; issued 5 Sept 1821. James Eslick Jr., went before justices in Willoughby Precinct, Carteret Co. NC, and testified that he knew his uncle James Eslick, who served in the Cont. Line and that the said James Eslick died in Feb. 1778 while in the service. James Eslick left a brother Francis Eslick, father of said deponent, who claimed to be the heir of the soldier. On 24 Aug. 1822 the warrant was transferred to John C. MCLemore and Jessie Blackfar, After Eslick had assigned it on 23 Feb. 1822 to Johnathan Hibbs."

5. James Sr. is repeatedly listed as approved for Revolutionary War warrants for his service per the DAR.

6. Bartholomew Eslick was another son of Francis.

Records of Onslow County NC. Deed Book 22 # 142
Bartholomew Eslick to Daniel Owens for 12.00 dollars, sold 1/7th part of 90 acres which my father got of George Hazard adjoining Russell's and Hazard's lands. Tests. Dan L. Russell, Benj. W. Russell.

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/onslow/marriages/mar...
55. Roberts, William and Hester Mills 5 Mar 1829
Bartholomew Eslics and (w) Danl. Ambrose, clk

7. Please note that 1/7th of Francis estate was passed on to Bart. This may indicate that three brothers, three sisters and Sophia shared the land equally.

8.Also note that a Sally Eslick married John Marshell in 1832? This is also somewhere on rootsweb under the NC GenWeb archives.

As far as Kentucky is concerned, it appears to be a completely different line. Samuel Eslick there is alledged to have been born in Kentucky. Can't have it both ways, can't be born in both Kentucky and NC.

8. A Francis Eslick is a property owner in Bourbon County KY in 1797.
http://www.shawhan.com/Taxes/tax1797.html

9. Francis appears elsewhere. http://mytree.net/gen/getperson.php?personID=I7014&tree=...
and is a representative to his Baptist association from his church.

10. In 181?-1820 Francis Marries a Widow Dennis and is Stepfather to Jane Dennis. He signs to allow her to marry. She marries Austin Pendley and names her firstborn: Francis Eslick Pendley. Search for it in rootsweb.

11. Francis is later said to have married the widow of Joseph Hargrove/Hargraves: Sally.

Furthermore there is a Samuel Eslick who sat on a jury in 1763 in Augusta County VA. Augusta County included at one time all of Kentucky. At the time he sat on the jury it appears it included Bourbon and Nicholas Counties in Kentucky. http://www.rootsweb.com/~vaaugust/maps.html
This Samuel could well be the father of Francis of Kentucky and The grandfather of Samuel b. abt 1784 in Kentucky.

What is certain is that Francis and Samuel of NC are not the same persons as Francis and Samuel of Kentucky. Unless of course bigamy is big in the family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic