Search for content in message boards

VAN DAVIS

Posted: 9 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 May 2002 6:45AM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS, LEE, CHEEK
Researching the family of Van Davis, lived in Anderson Co
from 1800 to 1810, member of Mt. Creek Baptist Church.
1st wife Susannah Cary died 1801, md 2nd Mrs. Martha Brimer
widow of Benjamin Brimer, md 3rd Lucy Anderson, daughter of
Phillip and Elizabeth Anderson. Van died in 1810.

Re: VAN DAVIS

Posted: 6 Jul 2005 12:45AM GMT
This Van Davis was my 5th great-grandfather. For information on his line, see my family history site at:
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/g/o/p/Dawn-Gopala...

There I have the Davis' in the Van Davis line, at least those I've researched.

Shirley Davis Warren (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2005 3:32AM GMT
The following from a long-time researcher of the Van Davis ancestry who was acquainted with Laura Mentzel:
Vann Davis is not a descendant of Morgan David even though some people have tried to make him a descendant. Laura Mentzel researched Vann for a long number of years and before her death still wasn't sure who his father was but was certain it wasn't Reason/(Rezin) Davis. She told me she was almost certain that Vann's immigrant would have entered the U.S. in Virginia.
In 1976, Laura published "Davis Families of the Savannah River Valley" in which references were made to a Reason/(Rezin) Davis as possibly the father of Vann. This information was included in the first 35 pages of her book. If you examine the book closely you see a definite division between the first 35 pages and page 36 and the remainder of the book. The first 35 pages contain information that her older sister Ethel Updike had accumulated for the book. When Ethel couldn't prove definitely that Vann was in the Revolutionary War she dropped the Davis research when she did find her Tate ancestor was a Revolutionary soldier. She was anxious to get into the D.A.R.
After a few years, Laura picked up the Davis material and started researching the Vann Davis family for a book and included Ethel's first 35 pages without documenting any of it. When I questioned the book, I told her that we could re-print it and sell lots of copies. She very emphatically said, "NO, don't ever re-print that book, it has too many errors". The Reason Davis assumption was one of the errors. Vann's son Hezekiah Davis from whom I descend was a Revolutionary soldier with documentation. It is highly improbable that his grandfather was a Revolutionary soldier when his father Vann wasn't. Too many amateur genealogists have taken the material in that book to be the "gospel" in genealogy and have gone in every direction with it including Jefferson Davis of the Confederacy in their Davis lines. Now I am from the south and a great admirer of Jefferson Davis but cannot claim being related to him as much as I would like to but most Davis lines I have read about make that claim. It is an impossibility, when you study Jefferson's family history there was no way he could have had a lot of relatives. Laura said there were even errors in Harry Alexander's book about Davises. Laura spent many months of time researching in the LDS Library where the best sources were and said there was no way Vann could be related to Harry Alexander's Davises from PA. She said our mistake was publishing her book without documentation on those first 35 pages. I am an amateur but from my study of Harry Alexander's book and Jefferson Davis' genealogy I have to agree with Laura.
Vann made a will which was filed in Anderson County, South Carolina. In that will he names all twelve of his children. We who descend from those twelve children have that base to go back too but we are still looking for the true father of Vann Davis who married Susannah Cary.

Re: Laura Mentzel

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 1:29AM GMT
Shirley -

Was wondering if the Laura Mentzel you refer to is Laura Watson Speer Mentzel, wife of Ted Mentzel? If so, Ted's father is my ggrandfather.

Regards,
Jim Carpenter
jcarp1@cox.net

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 5:23PM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Cary, Shaver,
Jim,

Yes--the same person

Jim Carpenter (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2005 2:51AM GMT
Shirley -

You seem to be familiar with some of Laura's research. Laura's daughter sent me some stuff on the Mentzel family (my maternal ggrandfather), but not much.

Please contact me at jcarp1@cox.net as I am interested in any of Laura's research on her husband's family.

Thanks,
Jim Carpenter

Posted: 23 Sep 2005 3:32AM GMT
Sorry to disappoint you, but all I have is information on the Davis family.

Shirley

Posted: 5 Jul 2006 4:58PM GMT
It seems that there were several men by the name of Van/Vann Davis in the colonies. Reason/Rezin Davis did have a son named Van. In the will of Reason Davis, dated 10/3/1831, Newberry District, South Carolina, Van Davis is listed and also a Van D. Davis. (MSS Will: Estate Record Book L, page 634)

Posted: 31 Dec 2006 2:16AM GMT
I just saw your response from 2005. Most of what I have on Van Davis came from the book by Laura Mentzel, "Davis Families of the Savannah Valley" on microfilm from the LDS library through a Family History Center. Also from Lamar Davis who knew Laura. I have a group at Yahoo if you are interested.

Shirley

Posted: 31 Dec 2006 2:17AM GMT
yes
per page

Find a board about a specific topic