Search for content in message boards

Magruder family

Magruder family

Posted: 10 Mar 2008 10:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Anyone interested in the Magruder family should check out the book "An American Life, One Man's Road to Watergate" by Jeb Stuart Magruder.
While this book is an autobiography by Jeb Stuart Magruder about being a Special Assistant to President Nixon and his involvement in Watergate, it also contains some interesting history on the family. Such as his great-grandfather, Thomas Jefferson Magruder being a Confederate agent and smuggling shoes in hearses from the District of Columbia across the Potomac during the Civil War.

The book was published in 1974 but you can find it on the internet.

Re: Magruder family

Posted: 28 Jul 2008 6:48PM GMT
Thank you, in the process of researching my father's family history. He resided in Aquasco, Maryland, born in 1924, to Sarah Magruder, her parents were William & Rebecca Magruder.

Posted: 1 Aug 2008 4:33PM GMT
I don't show your line in my files but if you send me more information on your great grandfather William Magruder and his wife I might be able to make a connection.
I have 85 William Magruders in my file.

Ron Collins
ridgerunner@chesapeake.net

Posted: 10 Feb 2010 9:48PM GMT
do you have any information on a John Macgruder from Prince Georges County, Maryland.

Posted: 11 Feb 2010 3:53AM GMT
Most of the family changed their name to Magruder in the U.S. I do have many John Magruders in Prince George's County going back to the 1600s but I need more information such as date of birth, wifes name, parents names, etc. to help you.
You find MacGruder or McGruder mostly in Scotland.
Send me what you have and I will be glad to check it for you. ridgerunner@chesapeake.net

Posted: 11 Feb 2010 6:17PM GMT
ok, I'll e-mail you now. I hope you can provide some information, but assume that it has been treated as illicit family secrets.

Posted: 7 Dec 2010 6:29AM GMT
Hi Penelope,
I haven't been involved in Ancestry for awhile and have a bad memory, so can't remember if we've corresponded about this already. I *do* want to share notes and help you research your history. We may be kin. I can tell you more about the Magruder book (white Magruders from Scotland and into Maryland). Looking forward to hearing from you! Jill Magruder Gatwood

Posted: 7 Dec 2010 5:27PM GMT
Does it report the Magruder's African Anerican side of the family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic