Search for content in message boards

Sands B. Shook of Dutchess Co., NY

Sands B. Shook of Dutchess Co., NY

shelli vigeant (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2001 5:11PM GMT
Hi List, I am looking for any help I can get on the Shook family in Dutchess Co., NY. I am particularly interested in the Red Hook area. I have a Clara Louise Shook, born 1871 in Red Hook to Sands B. Shook and Elizabeth (maiden name may be Teller). Clara married Dr. Joseph E. Vigeant in 1901. I found Sands B. Shook in the 1850 census at age two listed with two adult females and two other children. I think his mother may have been Clarrissa (maiden name unknown) Shook. Sands was born about 1848 and Clarrissa was born about 1829. Both were born in New York. Any help at all would be really appreciated.

Shook's of Dutchess Country

Posted: 4 Feb 2001 9:31AM GMT
Edited: 16 May 2003 12:40AM GMT
Hi Shelli. My grandmother's maiden name was Shook from Bangall, Pine Plains, Standfordville area of Dutchess Country. Her father was Homer Shook. His father father was John Shook Jr.

I do know this much, the Shooks from that area of Dutchess Country are all related. I am living in Dutchess County now. Please e-mail me and maybe we can link our research togther and see what we come up with.

Thanks, Karen

Shook's of Dutchess Co.

Shelli V. (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2001 12:51PM GMT
Karen, please e-mail me at shelliv@earthlink.net and we can share information about our Shook's. I can tell you, I am just starting my research of this family and know very little thus far. Thanks, Shelli

I think we're related!

Posted: 25 Feb 2001 2:47PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 2:19AM GMT
Karen,
My Great Grandfather is Jacob Shook,(born in 1878) He married Winifred Campbell abt 1902. Jacob's father was Ebenezer Shook,born abt 1852. Ebenezer married Laura Smith,date unknown. Ebenezer's father was Henry Shook, born abt 1827. He married Eliza A. ?(maiden name unknown) All of my ancestors were in the dutchess county area. I think Henry's father is Jacob or Jacobus Shook, born abt 1750. He married a woman named Anna Kuntz abt 1778. I have a partial family tree done by a cousin that shows your John Shook Sr and his 3 children, Homer,John Jr, and Virgil. It shows his father to be Harry Shook. according to this tree, Harry, and my great great grandfather Ebenezer, were brothers. Was Harry a nickname, or his given name? Do you know who Harry's father is? Is it Henry? I would like to talk to you in more depth about all these questions I have. Please E-mail me as soon as you have time. thanks ahead of time for your help!
Bob Shook
SPEBOBS@aol.com

Re: I think we're related!

Posted: 19 Mar 2009 6:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Oct 2009 5:44PM GMT
Surnames: Shook
My wife and I live in a house that is/was known as the Shook Farm. The house was built in 1791. The property was originally about 800 acres in size. The house as we bought it (1992)stands on 3 acres. The original property comprised of the area known as Shookville. We are directly across the road from Shook Pond.

Re: I think we're related!

Posted: 19 Mar 2009 9:36PM GMT
do you know if your henry had a child named Samuel:

Re: Sands B. Shook of Dutchess Co., NY

Posted: 20 Mar 2009 12:20AM GMT
my husbands family came from pine plains. his father was arthur, who was one of at least 13 children. He always claimed native blood. They lived on sisson mountain, in pine plains. A few years ago I went and spoke to the local historian and tried to look up records in the pine plains town hall-there are tons of them... my husband's grandfather and mother basically lived as squatters in the area. There were no birth or death certificates on them.
I believe one of the brothers were named frank and another winfred.

Posted: 8 May 2009 7:46PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2009 4:59PM GMT
Surnames: Shook, Stacy, Hopkins, Gibson, Moore Kemp, Dierker
Hi, I am looking for information relating to Ruby "Fay" Stacy known as Fay Hopkins. Ruby was born in 1906 in Mississippi & her mom was Mary SHOOK and her father was Ruel Ulphin Stacy. Ruby was married to James Hopkins of New Waverly, TX & was my Grandmother's cousin who was helping me trace my lineage when whe died in 1995. My grandmother was Mary Alma-Gibson/Moore Kemp Dierker born 1906-8 the daughter of Ida Gertrude Stacy (Sister of Ruel Stacy) married to Frank Gibson-marriage was anulled and she remarried to Eugene Thaddeus Moore. Mary Alma's Paternal heritage was not confirmed but possibly Apache/Jicarillo. Does anyone have info on Ruby Fay or Mary Alma?

Re: Shook's of Dutchess Country

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 12:56AM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2009 5:43PM GMT
Surnames: Shook, Decker
Hi: I am a Shook family member from Dutchess County. I leave in the Town Stanford. My grandfather was Homer Shook and his wife was Addie Decker. Homer's father was John Shook born I believe in 1857, his wife was Mary, he was born, I am assuming in Duthcess County. Homer had two brothers John Shook and Virgil Shook. Here things become muddled. I am not sure of Homer's grandfather's name. Henry, or perhaps Harold, born about 1827.

Any information you would care to share would be very helpful. Thanks for you time Charles Hanlon

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 5:26AM GMT
That sounds like my aunt Amy Shook's family. She lived in that exact location. Her paternal lineage so far is Virgil > John Sr. > Harry.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions