Search for content in message boards

Import FTM to Legacy

Import FTM to Legacy

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 7:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
I just bought Legacy after realizing I can't create picture reports in FTM for more than one person at a time (wish I figured this out before putting in ALL those pictures!!).

I was able to create a gedcom in FTM and bring it into Legacy. Of course, I lost all of my pictures, documents and sources (census images). I can't even imagine how much time this will take to transfer all of this over to Legacy, but I see no other way since Legacy has the reports I need.

Is there any easier way than doing this one item at a time? I'm a programmer by trade, so if it's difficult, I'm willing to try it :)

Right now I'm just learning my way around Legacy so if there is any clear documentation on attaching images to sources (that reference more than one person) and also attaching images to more than one person ... I'd greatly appreciate it!

Re: Import FTM to Legacy

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 2:41AM GMT
May I suggest that you subscribe to the "LUG"...Legacy Users Group...go to the following link:

http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/LegacyLists.asp

Put a checkmark in the Legacy User Group.

You will receive a confirmation email. Be sure to copy and paste the WHOLE url (without breaks) to reply.

There are many on that list who have also migrated from FTM to Legacy and may have some answers for you.

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 3:07PM GMT
Excellent! Thanks!

Posted: 1 Apr 2011 5:43PM GMT

Posted: 1 Apr 2011 6:15PM GMT
Thanks Tim... yea I saw that before - doesn't help with my picture issue. Unless you're seeing something here that I'm not.

Kelly

Posted: 1 Apr 2011 6:31PM GMT
You may also want to look at a program that a frequent user wrote.

www.zippersoftware.com
Look for the LTools link. It has been awhile since I have been there. Lot more stuff. Link:
http://zippersoftware.com/wp/ltools/what-is-ltools/

His Usergroup is at:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ltools/
Lot of us Legacy guru's

Tim Rosenlof

Posted: 1 Apr 2011 6:45PM GMT
The issue here is the FTM Gedcom export. From discussions on the FTM board about this, I learned that FTM sticks to the Gedcom 5.5 standard, which does not include media links.

The later standard 5.5.1 (which some say is still only a draft, or unofficial) does support media links.

Interestingly, when importing a GEDCOM that contains media links (such as one created from Legacy), FTM will import those links.

So, the bottom line is that Legacy cannot import what FTM did not export. Unfortunate, but I don't know of any solution other than manually attaching in Legacy.

Paul

Paul
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions