Search for content in message boards

Connection of Todd family to the Gordon and MacTavish Clans.

Connection of Todd family to the Gordon and MacTavish Clans.

J. Todd (View posts)
Posted: 21 Dec 1997 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 May 2009 5:09PM GMT

Hello,

I am looking to converse with anyone who has any information on the connection of the Todd family to the Clan Gordon and/or the Clan MacTavish. I would very wuch like to find out more indepth info on the Todd family history in Scotland. Thank you in advance.Thank you in advance.

GORDON

KELLY GORDON LICCKETTO (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
Im trying to find out where my gordons started in Scotland.
They ended in Indiana and at one time were in Nelson Co. Kentucky. I cant get a connection to Scotland.

Thank You Kelly Gordon Liccketto

TODD FAMILY

Janie Todd Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Todd
I too am having a problem with the USA, Scotland, connection. My gggrandfather, was Samuel W. Todd, b. 1822, OH. I can't find anything before him, Here are the names of his wifes and children.
His first wife Was Emma? of Oh. they Lived in Linn Co.Brown Township Iowa. ther children wer George W. John W. and Carolin A. When Caroline was yet a baby he married Margaret? of Oh. They Lived in Jackson Co. Fairfield Township Iowa. there children wer, Clarissa, Marcus, Otis, Ferta, and Martha. This is a very Large family. My G.Grandfather was George Washington Todd, and Was said to have married as many as five times, and had as manny as 17 children, In Iowa, Neb, Minn, and Wis. and maybe more, he really got around. If any of this rings a bell let me know.
If anyone knowwhen the
todd family stared leaving Scotland, and where they went would help a lot. Thanks for the time and space, Tours Janie

Todd

Micheal.W.Todd (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
I would also like info on the Todd family.Thank You.

Re: Info requested on connection of Todd family to the Gordon and MacTavish Clans.

Posted: 11 Jun 2008 8:30PM GMT
Surnames: todd
in 1630 James todd was born and later was called the Laird of Dunbar and he was part of the Gorgon clan , who really didnt get into other clans quables unless over religion or the king was in danger James Todd died in 1669 after being captured at Bothwell bridge , He fought for religius freedom and later drowned abourd the ship called the crown because the hold was locked and 250 others perished too but Son John todd was captured but escaped and fled to northern ireland and he died there , His desendants David and Levy and robert Smith Todd came to america and Robert smith tood settled in Kentucky and Mary Ann todd was his daughter who was married to Abraham Lincoln , I believe Mary Todd was the driving force behind Mr. Lincoln to abolish Slavery , The government of Scotland wanted to send James Todd to the west indies to make him a slave , and the rest is history

Re: TODD FAMILY

Posted: 11 Jun 2008 8:42PM GMT
John todd fled after 1669 becase of the coventers who didnt think the King was the spiritual head of the Church but Belived Jesus Christ was and they fought against the governmet to believe , James todd was killed after the battle of Bothwell bridge he was being sent to the west indies as a slave and died when the ship called the crown went down he and 250 others perished in the hold but Son John escaped to Northern Ireland and died there and our desendants came to America from Ireland , The government rounded up and killed all our family in Scotland 1 survived in Ireland and he was a scottish Liard a land owner , from him comes Robert smith Todd , who was the father of Mary Todd Lincoln

Re: Todd in Scotland circa 1800s

Posted: 14 Aug 2008 3:14PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jun 2009 3:32AM GMT
So, when did the Todds come back to Scotland? My GGG grandfather was
born in Scotland in 1843 and said that both of his parents were born in Scotland.

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 1:31AM GMT
Surnames: TODD, GORDON
I wonder if you have considered that a lot of the Todd's moved to the NE of England?
I have traced a few Todds in South Shields Co Durham where they were mainly butchers. I have reason to think that some also settled in Northumberland but have not flollowed it up yet.
My father Willaim Henry Todd was a mariner during WWI and a master mariner during WWII. He survived both. however his family were Master Butchers, in other words they owned several butchers shops. Derek G Todd
My middle name is Gordon which I believe was given me due to the known connection as a sept to the Gordon clam.

Posted: 3 Apr 2009 4:55AM GMT
I know my uncle (87) has a good genealogy regarding Todd he has travel to Scotland and has the cloth of the clan
Started in Glasgow our branch comes from my granfather who was a colonizer in Transval, Africa, they moved down to Mexico and the USA we are the Mexico brach related to A. Lincon's wife Mary Todd...regards....

Posted: 15 May 2009 5:04PM GMT
If you could help me too, it would be greatly appreciated. I,m having a lot of trouble getting past my g g g grandfather, Thomas Todd. He was born about 1792 in England and died before 1880 in St. Lawrence Co., NY. His wife, Susanna(h) was born about 1796 in England and died after 1850 in St. Lawrence Co., NY. According to what I was told, the name Todd(spelled with one D) came from Scotland and is the Scottish word for fox. Some of them moved to Ireland, there they were disinherited and disowned. From there, they moved to England. Then from there some of them came to America. I have a image of the Todd coat of arms and the motto reads: Oportet vivere; which means: It behooves us to live, even if we have to steal for it.
Luwana (Todd) Ennenga
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions