Search for content in message boards

Driffill - Oxnard - Early 1900s

Driffill - Oxnard - Early 1900s

Posted: 17 Feb 2003 5:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DRIFFILL MCILROY
Looking for possible relationship between two DRIFFILLs living in Oxnard in early 1900s. Also death location/date for Fanny Mcilroy DRIFFILL.

Major James A. DRIFFILL was the plant manager of the Oxnard brother's sugar beet in 1900 (per 1900 census). He was 40 years old living in Hueneme Twp. Born NY, father Eng, mother Scotland. Wife Emma age 38. James died prior to 1920. Emma is living at 140 7 Street in 1920 with SIL John Norman and her daughter Emma M.

E. Gerry DRIFFILL was found living at 227 N. C St. in Oxnard in the 1920 census, age 48, Born NY, father Eng, mother Northern Ireland. Wife Fanny age 48 born NY, father Canada, mother NY. He was superintendent of the Ivy Lawn Cemetery and later a Judge in Oxnard. E. Gerry Driffill died 23 April 1942. Burial location unkown.

Elbridge Gerry DRIFFILL (always recorded as E. Gerry Driffill) married Fanny Content MCILROY 23 Sept 1898 in Rochester NY. Sometime after that they moved to Oxnard. They are not enumerated in the 1900 Oxnard census. Have not confirmed residence location for 1900. Probably Rochester NY.

The 1880 Fed census of Rochester NY lists the DRIFFILL family as follows;
William H. Driffill age 46
Elizabeth J. " age 39
Herbert A. " age 12
Elbridge G. " age 9
Sidney R. " age 3 (found residing in jail in 1930)
James " age 20

Note out of normal sequence ages.

QUESTIONS;

1. Were E. Gerry DRIFFILL and James A. DRIFFILL related? Age difference ~12 years...perhaps bothers???.

2. Fanny MCIROY was my grandaunt. Where and when did she die. Where buried.

3. Elementary school and street named DRIFFILL in present Oxnard....who were they named after?

Any leads would be apprecitated.
Thank you.

Re: Driffill - Oxnard - Early 1900s

Diana Needham (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2003 6:53AM GMT
Terry: Here is a link to Oxnard City history which refers to J.A. Driffill three times. Let me know if it doesn't work.

http://www.ci.oxnard.ca.us/historic/homeimages/background.ht...

He is also mentioned in the OxnardPD website:

http://www.oxnardpd.org/pd_hist.htm

There is apparently a biography of EG Driffill available. Go to
http://history.sloco.net/CABio/VentuBioList.html

Looks like they will do a free transcription. Scroll down to see the entry number.

Will check on the school and street names tomorrow if I don't get bogged down.

Regards, Diana, Port Hueneme, Ventura County, CA

Posted: 21 Mar 2003 8:19AM GMT
Terry: I have two questions: Can you tell me the street the Driffill's were on in Hueneme Twp. in 1900? (I'll check the 1910 census...it's short.

If you have the 1880 Rochester census, what is James's relation to the head of household? If you don't have the actual page, give me the enumeration district and county, and I'll have a look for you.

Diana

Eileen (View posts)
Posted: 25 Apr 2003 4:12AM GMT
Surnames: Driffill, Messenger
Do you know the name of James and Gerry's father from England? My Joseph Driffill came from Laxton, England abt 1840 to NY.

Terry Allen (View posts)
Posted: 25 Apr 2003 9:35PM GMT
Their father's name was William H. Driffill and according to the census records.....

In the 1880 Fed census, Rochester, Monroe, NY, William is born in England and both parents were too. He listed his occupation as a cartman.

In the 1888-89 Rochester City Directory, William is working at 17 N. Water and living at 35 South Ave. In the 1889-90 Directory he is working at 156 S. St. Paul Street.

Eileen (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2003 5:15PM GMT
My Joseph Driffill's father was named William and he named his son William.

Joseph had a brother, Wm born in 1821 in England.

Terry Allen (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2003 2:02AM GMT
Surnames: Driffill
According to the census, my William Driffill was born in 1834. They may be cousins tho'....I have no proof.

Eileen (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2003 6:42PM GMT
Doyou know where in England your Driffill lived?

Posted: 20 Oct 2008 12:26AM GMT
Have you discovered where your Driffill came from in England. MY Driffill came from Laxton, East Riding area and settled in NY for a time. He also lived in Clifton Park, NY before moving to IL.

Joseph had several siblings and did have a brother, W
illiam.

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 7:22PM GMT
Although your post is very old, I found it researching.

Elbridge Gerrie Driffill has a biography in the 2 volume, 1926 printing of the History of Ventura County by Solomon N. Sheridan.

He was cremated at Ivy Lawn Cemetery in 1942 and his remains were removed privately.

Hope this helps and that there is still interest.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions