Search for content in message boards

All Hodge familes of Bedford Co., late 1700's thru 1900

All Hodge familes of Bedford Co., late 1700's thru 1900

Posted: 3 Jan 2003 5:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hodge, Hodges
Searcing for descendants, ancestors, any information regarding the early Hodge families of Bedford County, TN.

I do have a particular interest in Paterack Hodge that is listed in the 1830 Census. Also, Palnac, Isaac, John, Patterson and other Hodges. Would like to know where they migrated from and to...what families they may have married into. Are there still descendants remaining in the area? Were all the initial Hodges of one family?

Is there any history of a Dr. Hodge, a Dr. Alphonso Hodge or Dr. Peter H. Hodge in particular? Were there any Peter, Joseph, Augustus, Gustavus, Lawrence, George, Samuel, Charles, Albert, Crittenden, Criton or James Hodge's in the censuses.

Any information at all would be most appreciated. It seems that descendents of some of these families settled in Hamilton and Jefferson Counties of Illinois in the mid 1800's, possibly White County, Illinois as well via Kentucky.

Respectfully,

John Earl Spencer
508 Larkin Street, # 506
San Francisco, CA 94102
jssfcaus@hotmail.com
johnspencerinsfca@yahoo.com

Re: All Hodge familes of Bedford Co., late 1700's thru 1900

Carolyn Smotherman (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2003 5:15PM GMT
Surnames: Hodge, Keller, Green, Stephens
I, too, am interested in the Hodge families of Bedford Co. I am descended from Jacob Keller of Burke Co, NC. Jacob was a neighbor of Francis Hodge, Robert Hodge, William Hodge and others up until his death in 1813. Some people think his wife Jane was a member of the Hodge family. At any rate, some of the Keller family were already in TN when Jacob died and Jane and the rest of the family moved to Bedford County immediately after his death.

Jane's son, Francis H. Keller (the H. has never been defined), is my ggg-grandfather. I was born and raised in Bedford Co and live about 35 miles away in Williamson Co now.

There is a book called Pioneers of Coffee County, TN by Alice Daniel Pritchard with information on the Hodge family. She believes, with good clues, but no absolute proof, that Robert Hodge, Jr. of Burke Co, NC and Bedford Co, TN is the father of William C. Hodge (b. about 1783, md. Gilla Green) and John Hodge (b. about 1785, md. Sarah Stephens).

Patterson Hodge, the son of John and Sally Stephens Hodge, moved to Jefferson Co, Illinois.

I do think there was another branch of the Hodge family, whose connection, if any, I don't know, but who lived in the same NE corner of Bedford Co and in Coffee Co. The names I recall include Charles and Edmond Hodge (maybe Phillip). These were connected to Welcome Hodge of Williamson Co, TN. Some of this family were later found in west Tennessee.

John Earl Spencer (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2003 9:20PM GMT
Surnames: Hodge
Thank you for the information. It could all be very helpful. One question that I do have is what is the relationship between the wives of Patterson Hodge and John Hodge. Are Sally and Sarah Stephens of the same family...perhaps, an aunt and niece, cousins or even sisters?

I appreciate the additional information on the Welcome, Charles and Edmond Hodge family.

Regards,

John Spencer

Hodge, Stephens, Green

Carolyn Smotherman (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2003 11:28PM GMT
Patterson Hodge was the son of John and Sarah/Sallie Stephens Hodge. I cannot remember who Patterson married--perhaps a Green.

Sarah/Sally Stephens Hodge was the daughter of John Stephens and Elizabeth Joyner/Joiner of Lancaster County, SC and Bedford County, TN.

Carolyn

Posted: 4 Jan 2003 11:34PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2003 12:49AM GMT
Surnames: Hodge, Wilson, Keeling
John,

My gg grandfather was Elzy Keeling. He married Sarah. There is no clear proof yet as to Sarah's last name, but there is very strong evidence that she was either Sarah Hodge or Sarah Wilson, since both Elzy and Sarah are buried in Wilson Cemetery just across the Bedford Co. line in Coffee Co. The Robert Wilson, Jr. family are the Wilsons for whom the cemetery is named. Robert Wilson, Jr.'s wife was
Elizabeth Hodge; she is a daugther of John Hodge and Sarah. Best guess at this point is that Elzy's wife Sarah was a sister of either Elizabeth Hodge or a sister of Robert Wilson, Jr.

As I looked through my records checking all this, I found my latest research (from about a year ago) had turned up a further lead on this, but it was as to the identity of Robert Wilson. My notes indicate he and Sarah were the children of a John Wilson according to John's will.

Greg Keeling

Posted: 18 Jan 2006 9:12PM GMT
Hello my GGGGrandfather was Patterson Hodge and he married Sarah Catherine Thompson and their son John Thompson married Jane Keller, Iwould really like to hear from you as I think that we have the same family line,
my e-mail address is lisat_3357@yahoo.com and my mname is Lisa
hope to hear from you
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions