Search for content in message boards

Cemetery or death record needed for Matilda Jane Babbitt

Cemetery or death record needed for Matilda Jane Babbitt

Posted: 1 Apr 2007 7:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Babbitt, Williams
I do not have a specific death year for Matilda Babbitt. I have a civil war pension packet in which her mother states that Matilda was living in St. Maries, Idaho and that she died about five or six years ago. This was written in 1911. So guessing at death date of 1905 or 1906. Her husband was Sylvester Babbitt. Sylvester Babbitt remarried on 10 June 1908 in St. Maries to a Laura Madaline Williams. (Second marriage for both of them. Do not know what her maiden name was.) Laura Madaline Babbitt died on 4 Apr 1925 in St. Maries. I do not know what happened to Sylvester Babbitt. Information on him would be appreciated, too. I have been seeking a death date for Matilda for a few years now and am hoping that someone out there will help me find it. Thank you.

Re: Cemetery or death record needed for Matilda Jane Babbitt

Posted: 6 Jan 2012 5:06PM GMT
Birth: Apr. 16, 1841
Lorain County
Ohio, USA
Death: Oct. 2, 1924
Spokane
Spokane County
Washington, USA

Sylvester Babbitt was a Union Soldier in Company F 13th Illinois Cavalry.

He was the son of William and Mary Babbitt.

He was the husband of Elizabeth P. Babbitt.

Burial:
Riverside Memorial Park
Spokane
Spokane County
Washington, USA

If you think this is the correct Sylvester, and can try to photograph the stone for you.

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 9:14PM GMT
Surnames: Babbitt, Mann
Thank you for your reply, but the Sylvester's are not the same. I have found a marriage record and according to this record for Sylvester M. Babbitt and Matilda "Minnie" Mann Henderson, (the couple that I am trying to find info on), Sylvester's parents are Calvin E. Babbitt and Mary Jane Montauge. (Not sure on spelling of Mary Jane's last name, could be Montange, or Montonye, or something like that.) Sylvester Babbitt was 34 and was born in Woodford County, Illinois. The marriage was 11 April 1899 in Missoula, Montana.

Posted: 11 Jan 2012 1:19PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: babbitt, williams
slightly off subject..

in the 1920 census it states that Sylvester was b Iowa c1866 - Laura M bc1882 Michigan

in 1910 Sylvester bc1866 Iowa + Laura M + her son Laurence P Williams bc1906 in Washington - this lad later is shown as a Babbitt

there is a death in CA for a Sylvester:
Name: Sylvester O Babbitt
Social Security #: 0
Sex: Male
Birth Date: 14 Sep 1868
Birthplace: Illinois
Death Date: 15 May 1950
Death Place: San Diego

tracing this chap back to the 1870 census he is the one who was b Illinois with father Calvin & mother Mary J so think this is not your chap

have you looked at the actual entry for

Groom Last Name: BABBITT
Groom First Name: Sylvester M.
Groom Residence:
Bride Last Name: WILLIAMS
Bride First Name: Laura Madaline
Bride Residence:
Place: St. Maries
Date: 10 Jun 1908
County of Record: Kootenai
State: Idaho
Volume: 4
Page: 474

which appears to be held in the BYU Campus, Idaho BYUI Family History Center, 208-496-9536 or email : familyhistory@byui.edu

Posted: 19 Jan 2012 5:02PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jan 2012 5:07PM GMT
Surnames: Babbit, Mann
Thank you for your help. I have looked at the marriage record for Sylvester M. Babbitt and Laura Williams. You can view that at FamilySearch.org. It does not list parents for either of them.

I did see the California death listing for Sylvester O. Babbitt and have considered him, but the middle initials threw me off. I recently found that on Laura's death certificate it states that she was divorced. So, I am guessing that Sylvester and her divorced before her death.

I can find on a 1930 census a Sylvester Babbitt, born Illinois, in Arizona and have wondered if that could be him. The stating of his birth in Illinois and Iowa, I can understand. That happens alot in research, where different birth states are listed for a person on different census'. In 1880, you can find Sylvester and his parents living in Page County, Iowa. Matilda and Sylvester most likely met there. Matilda's mother and other members of the family lived in Page County, Iowa. Matilda's brother, Ambery Mann, raised his family and died in Page County, Iowa. Sylvester had a sister, Dora, that was born in Iowa. On the 1880 census, Sylvester is listed as 16, born Illinois. His sister, LouElla, is 14 and born in Iowa, along with Dora, age 8, born in Iowa. On the 1870 census, LouElla is listed as being born in Illinois.

I wish I could find Sylvester and Matilda on a 1900 census. I cannot find them, Matilda's mother, or sister on the 1900 census in Montana or in Idaho. I know that is where they have to be, but I can't find them on a census.

Anyway, thanks for helping. I sure appreciate it.

Posted: 19 Jan 2012 6:09PM GMT
Hi
Trying to help you on your request, however, can you provide names for Matilda's mother, father, and sister?
Also was she married first to a Henderson?

I will be going to the library next week (after our snow clears) to check.

Have a good day

Posted: 19 Jan 2012 8:10PM GMT
Surnames: Babbitt, Mann, Henderson, Grace, Coleman
Yes, I can. Her mother was Lucretia Grace Mann Epps Coleman. Matilda's father was George Washington Mann. He died in the Civil War. Lucretia's parents (Matilda's grandparents) were John and Elizabeth Farlow Grace. (Have no idea where or when Elizabeth died, before 1880. John died in Oregon before 1900.) Matilda Mann was born in Jefferson, Greene County, Iowa on 18 Jul 1863. Matilda's siblings were:
Ambery Mann, born 17 Nov 1860/1861 in Iowa, died 23 June 1927 in Page County, Iowa. (Have quite a bit on him.)
Rosella (Beattle) Mann (She was born out of wedlock, all explained in Civil War packet.) born 31 Jan 1868 or 1870 in Iowa, died 3 June 1943 in Stevensville, Ravalli, Montana. In 1900, she would have been married to Louis Harris. She married Louis in 1898 in Stevensville, 2nd marriage. (Have quite a bit on her and her family.)
Ben (Beattle) Mann, born 30 Jun 1873/1874 in Nebraska, died 12 Jun 1965 in Hot Springs, Sanders, Montana. (Born out of wedlock. Never married.)
Grace Marie Epps, born 20 May 1875/1876/1877 in Page County, Iowa, died 5 Dec 1933, in Creswell, Lane, Oregon. (Her father was John Epps. He was killed in Iowa. She was married at least three times.) In 1900, she would have been single. I have her first marriage in 1901 in Missoula County, Montana. She may have been going by Coleman. Her certificate for her second marriage, she lists Ben Coleman as her father.
Ben Coleman is my great great grandfather, but Lucretia was his second marriage. My great great grandmother is Telitha Jane Grace, sister to Lucretia.
Matilda was married to Frank Henderson in Page County, Iowa according to the Civil War pension packet and then was later divorced. I have not found a marriage record for them in Page County or anywhere in Iowa as yet. I know that on her marriage certificate to Sylvester Babbitt, she is listed as Minnie Henderson. On the 1880 census, I found a Matilda Henderson, age 16, born Iowa, listed as daughter-in-law. Her husband, Andrew F. Henderson, age 20, born Missouri. Both have parents as born Penn. and Ohio, but that would not be right for Matilda, but those kind of errors can occur. They are in Lincoln Township, Atchison, Missouri. Which is very possible. Matilda had family there, also.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic