Search for content in message boards

Allen Vance Brooks, 1800''s South Carolina

Allen Vance Brooks, 1800''s South Carolina

Posted: 23 Nov 1999 11:11AM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2001 1:48PM GMT
Looking for information and parents of Allen Vance Brooks born about 1802 and died about 1874 in S.C. He was in the 1830 and 1840 Census in Newberry Co., S.C. and in the 1850 through 1870 census in Abbeville Co., Lowndesville, S.C. He married Nancy Coates around 1829. The names of their children were; John, Mary, Florenta, Eliza, Silas H., Harriet, and Josephine who married William (Willie) Henry Daniel.

Allen V. Brooks was a Coachmaker and Cabinet Maker in the town of Lowndesville.

Could his parents be John, Sr. and Rebecca ___ Brooks?

Any help would be appreciated.

Allen Vance Brooks

La Marr Quarles Brooks (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 1999 8:43AM GMT
I would like to keep in touch with you on this one. I have worked on this Allen Vance Brooks and Nancy Coates because I believe they might tie into my husband's Brooks family. I collected a bit on the Coates, Vances and Satterwhites who seemed to also be tied together and there are several Brooks connections with them. Did you know that there was another Brooks and Coates marriage? I think they were 2 brothers and 2 sisters. You must have found John and Rebecca in the Newberry census book and connected to this Allen Vance. My husband's Brooks' have a few Vance connections in records. They were living next to John and Nancy Vance in the 1860 census, Cokesbury twp., Abbeville Dist., SC. There was a Vance mentioned in the polictical arrest of our Preston Sylvester Brooks in Easley, Pickens Co., SC as a deffendant from Greenville, SC. I have found a Vance Brooks born 3/11/1894 died 5/24/1955 and buried in the Philidelphia Baptist Church cemetery in Spartanburg Co., SC. His father-Emory L. Brooks b. 9-22-1856, d. 2-20-1937=Spartanburg, SC. married Martha Shelton. There were many Brooks in Newberry, SC and some of them were Quakers. The Coates were also Quakers but I still can't get this all together. If you are interested in our Brooks I would be gald to send the genealogy report. My e-mail address:lbrooks@innova.net

Allen Vance Brooks

Posted: 27 Nov 1999 8:43AM GMT
I would like to keep in touch with you on this one. I have worked on this Allen Vance Brooks and Nancy Coates because I believe they might tie into my husband's Brooks family. I collected a bit on the Coates, Vances and Satterwhites who seemed to also be tied together and there are several Brooks connections with them. Did you know that there was another Brooks and Coates marriage? I think they were 2 brothers and 2 sisters. You must have found John and Rebecca in the Newberry census book and connected to this Allen Vance. My husband's Brooks' have a few Vance connections in records. They were living next to John and Nancy Vance in the 1860 census, Cokesbury twp., Abbeville Dist., SC. There was a Vance mentioned in the polictical arrest of our Preston Sylvester Brooks in Easley, Pickens Co., SC as a deffendant from Greenville, SC. I have found a Vance Brooks born 3/11/1894 died 5/24/1955 and buried in the Philidelphia Baptist Church cemetery in Spartanburg Co., SC. His father-Emory L. Brooks b. 9-22-1856, d. 2-20-1937=Spartanburg, SC. married Martha Shelton. There were many Brooks in Newberry, SC and some of them were Quakers. The Coates were also Quakers but I still can't get this all together. If you are interested in our Brooks I would be gald to send the genealogy report. My e-mail address:lbrooks@innova.net

Allen Vance Brooks

Posted: 27 Nov 1999 8:44AM GMT

Allen Vance Brooks

Posted: 27 Nov 1999 8:44AM GMT

Allen Vance Brooks

Posted: 27 Nov 1999 8:45AM GMT

Emory Brooks of TN, NC,SC

Kathy Martin Caston (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2001 7:16PM GMT
I noticed your reference to Vance Brooks born 3/11/1894 died 5/24/1955 and buried in the Philidelphia Baptist Church cemetery in Spartanburg Co., SC. His father-Emory L. Brooks b. 9-22-1856, d. 2-20-1937=Spartanburg, SC. married Martha Shelton. Emory Brooks was my ggrandfather and was wondering if in your search you may have come across other info pertaining to this family. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Allen Vance Brooks

La Marr Q. Brooks (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2001 2:55PM GMT
I have not been able to find the information needed to solve this mystery. I recently wrote to a Jackson, Miss. lady-Kathlene Mason who researched the SC Vance family but she said she could not connect this Allen Vance Brooks. Her address is 4213 Eastridge Drive, Jackson, Miss. 39211. Husbands' name is Herman Vance. She called and talked to my husband and I have not heard from her since. She may be able to help you. Another researcher on the Vance line in SC is Dale & Larri Jenning 914 Vance Rd., Benton, LA 71006 jgeni@softdisk.com. They were very helpfull in sending me Brooks and Vance connections-but still not what I needed to make the connections. Hope this helps.

Re: Allen Vance Brooks, 1800''s South Carolina

Posted: 12 Nov 2010 7:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Since you mentioned Allen V. Brooks lived in Lownesville, Abbeville County, South Carolina in the early 1800's, and mentioned that one of the daughters is Eliz. I have a 3 times great grandmother that might one of his daughters and she was Elizabeth Janie Brooks ( before she married John Lindsey Baker ) who was born in 1830 and lived in Lownesville, South Carolina and buried there as well.

Are there any updates on the family since this message in 1999?
Thanks,
Richard
r.cutler@comcast.net

Re: Allen Vance Brooks, 1800''s South Carolina

Posted: 25 Nov 2010 9:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brooks
Richard

LaMarr and I work on the same line of SC Brooks. One of Emory Luallen Brooks' sons was named Zeb Vance Brooks. He was born Mar, 1893 in Madison Co, NC; died May 24 1955 in Spartanburg, SC.

I am in touch w/ Fred Charles Brooks who is interested in taking the DNA test. If you have any known Brooks male cousins to test, this would help us all determine if this Allen Vance Brooks and our Pleasant Mack Brooks (1827 Cocke Co, TN) are related.

Hope to hear more from you soon.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic