Search for content in message boards

William or Benjamin Harrison Simmons & James Madison Simmons

William or Benjamin Harrison Simmons & James Madison Simmons

Sharon Nichols (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2004 3:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Simmons, Huckaby/Huckabee, Bradshaw, Jones
I am looking for info on the families of J. E. "Jim" Simmons, b. Abt. 1828, and his wife Parlee ?, b. abt. 1839 in NC; their son, James Madison Simmons, b. Jan. 09, 1858 in NC, and his wife Nicie Elizabeth Jones, b. April 18, 1858 in Atlanta, GA; J. E. Simmons' brother, Benjamin Harrison (or William Harrison) Simmons, b. unknown; George Bradshaw, b. Mar. 03, 1872 in AL; George's father, Jefferson Bradshaw, b. in ALA.

Nicie Elizabeth Jones' mother was Nancy Minerva Huckaby and her father was L. G. Jones, both from Hall Co., GA.

Parlee ? Simmons was at least part Native American. Her maiden name is unknown.

These Simmons/Bradshaws (& possibly others) migrated by Conestoga wagon train "along the piedmont" from the Carolinas to Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas. George Bradshaw and his wife, Mary Louise Simmons (dau. of Nicie E. Jones and James Madison Simmons) went on to Oregon. Alexander "Berry" Simmons went on from Arkansas with his wife Malissa Jane Smith to Chickasha, Grady Co., OK. The migration must have occurred btn. 1870-ish to 1885 + or - 2 years.

Any information on any of these individuals is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Sharon Nichols
(I am James Madison and Nicie Eliz. Jones Simmons' Great-granddaughter).

Re: William or Benjamin Harrison Simmons & James Madison Simmons

Maureen (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2004 5:41AM GMT
Surnames: Simmons
I have a Simmons who started out in NC, immigrated to GA, then ended up in Mississippi. His parents were born in the Virginia Colony.

William Simmons, b. c. 1745 in Wake Co., NC, m. Patience (Sarah?) in GA, lived in Wilkes Co., GA, between 1785-1804. Sold this land, moved to Mississippi. 11 children: Sanders, William Harrison, Rachel, Celinda, Henry, Polly, Asan, Nancy, John, Solomon and Willis. Most of their descendants ended up in Mississippi and Louisiana.

Posted: 5 Oct 2004 11:09PM GMT

re: Benjamin Simmons, Simmons Migration, & the Bradshaws

Posted: 6 Oct 2004 11:34AM GMT
Mary Louise Simmons was my maternal Great Aunt, sister to Houston D. Simmons, my grandfather. The Simmons family migrated to Ark. from Haywood Co., NC and allegedly, the Bradshaws, among others, went with them. They were in Hall Co., Ga., Atlanta, Ga., and Grenada, MS. Sometime between 1878 & 1882, Louise's and Houston's father, James Madison Simmons, was held for a murder he didn't commit. When the true killer confessed, he was released and the families continued on to Ark., as planned. Through censuses, I have found the Simmons family line, going back to 1792, to a Benjamin Simmons, who was Mary Louise's Great-Grandfather. His wife's name was Clarissa. I would greatly appreciate any info you have on the Simmons/Bradshaws/& others! Sharon

Posted: 6 Oct 2004 11:53AM GMT
Surnames: Simmons, Bradshaw, Jones, Huckaby
Maureen, I don't know if these are the same people. I have confirmed that James Madison Simmons and Benjamin Harrison Simmons were brothers (who made the migration together). Their father was James E. Simmons, a CSA vet/a Private, who served with the 62nd NC Infantry, Co. I. That unit mustered from Haywood Co., NC. In checking the 1860 & earlier censuses there, I found the family. I checked the 1810-1850 censuses for Forks of Pigeon, Haywood Co., NC,and found James E. Simmons' father, Benjamin Simmons and his wife Clarissa ("Clary")and children born from 1844-1860. James Madison and Benj. Harrison Simmons had siblings. Could your Simmons be from either Nicie E., Benj. H., John A., or Margaret T. Simmons? Sharon

Posted: 7 Oct 2004 8:25AM GMT
Edited: 2 Dec 2005 9:41PM GMT
Surnames: Simmons, Bradshaw
Sharon, I have just printed out all the info I have regarding Grandma Mary Louise's family. It is way too much to send e-mail or put on the message board. If you will send me your mailing address, I will drop this info in the mail to you. Will you please fill out pedigree charts for the info you have on the Simmons and Bradshaw's and also send me your e-mail address. Do you know anything about a Kearney McClellan Bradshaw (b. 1891 in Ark). and his wife Sarah Elizabeth Wallin, (b. abt 1895 in Ark). They have five known children: Archer Lynn, Joseph S., Kearney Wallin, Margaret, and Stanley G. Some of these family members are buried in the same cemetery in Oregon as our George and Mary. This family also resided in California in the 1930 census and lived close by George and Mary's son, Frank. This seems too much of a coincidence. They must be related somehow. Hope to hear from you again, soon. Neva nevad@fmtc.com

Maureen (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2004 2:56AM GMT
Surnames: Fortenberry, Bradshaw, Simmons, Brumfield, Alford, Ellzey
I have just one Bradshaw -- Thomas -- that might be related. He was born about 1832 and married Margaret Sisley Brumfield (1832-1904) who was born, lived and died in Dover, MS. The Brumfield family migrated from NC to MS and LA in the late 1800's.

The Brumfields married into Fortenberry, Simmons, Alford and Ellzey lines, all of whom started in NC and GA and migrated to MS and LA. I have a lot of info about these family lines, if it seems it may match yours.

Posted: 12 Oct 2004 2:44AM GMT
Surnames: Simmons, Bradshaw,
Maureen, Was unable to retrieve your reply. Did not even get to read it. Will you please send again. Thanks. Neva

Maureen (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2004 3:52AM GMT
Sorry you had difficulty. I have sent my post to you via email.

Posted: 10 Mar 2010 6:58PM GMT
Celinda was my GGGrandmother. She married Basil Smith and are buried in Rapides Parish, Louisiana
per page

Find a board about a specific topic