Search for content in message boards

Porter Family/North Carolina/Slavery

Porter Family/North Carolina/Slavery

Posted: 22 Mar 2004 4:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Feb 2006 4:59PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Graham
I am researching the Porter Family in North Carolina, particularly the Joseph Porter line in Wilkes Co. (my line: Joseph Porter 5ggfather (b.about 1784), James Porter 4ggfather (b. about 1805), Wilburn Porter (b. about 1829), 3ggfather, Milly Porter 2ggmother (b. 1857), Leonard Graham ggfather (b. 1880), Roy Graham grandfather (b. 1907). The family story is that Wilburn's family freed their slaves and moved west before the Civil War, ending up in Madison Co., Indiana. Does anyone have any information to corroborate their having slaves - and freeing them? Or any information about their land holdings? Also, does anyone have information about possible African/Native American ancestry in this line?

Thanks!
Carole

Re: Porter Family/North Carolina/Slavery

Ron Porter (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2004 10:31PM GMT
Edited: 15 Apr 2004 2:21PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
Carole,
My gggfather was James Porter, Born 1805 in Guliford County NC. He died 14 Jan 1861 in Effingham County Illinois. I am not sure if this is the same James Porter you are looking for, however he does show up on the census records. If you want to compare notes you can contact me directly via email.

Ron

Posted: 17 Apr 2004 6:20PM GMT
Edited: 26 Feb 2006 4:59PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
Ron,

My James Porter appears in the 1850 census for Wilkes County, North Carolina. He is married to Malinda and has 6 children living with him: Wellborn, Sarah, Nancy, Franklin, Phelix, and Elizabeth. Does this match your James?

Carole

Ron Porter (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 2004 3:35AM GMT
Edited: 18 Apr 2004 3:13PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, McLeane
Carole,
Sorry, our James Porters must be two different people. My James married Polly McLeane. I have also tracked him back to 1776 and the Battle of Fort Washington. So, they have to be different individuals. James was a very common name for that time.
As I continue my research I will keep on look out for your James, and pass any information I find on to you.

Good Luck
Ron

kellie (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2004 4:49PM GMT
Hello! I do believe we might have a match. Joseph Porter Jr. married Elizabeth Sarah Johnson. James Porter married Melinda Bernette with children Wilborn, Phlex, Franklin, William,Sarah, Nancy, Peter, and Elizabeth.

If so contact me by email. kporter2@cinci.rr.com
kellie

Posted: 10 Sep 2004 9:50PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Johnson
Hi Kellie,

Yes! We do have a match! How are you related? I'm curious about this family's history in North Carolina and about the slavery story. Do you know anything about Joseph Porter and Elizabeth Sarah Johnson -- or about their parents? I've got some information about Wilborn's descendents. Thanks for writing!

Carole

Kay Markham (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2005 6:45AM GMT
Edited: 1 Aug 2005 1:58PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Smith, Due, Marcum, Markham
Ron, did your James happen to have two sisters born around 1810 and 1813 named Mary Wilson and Sarah Jane "Sally" Porter who married Smith brothers in Jefferson County, Illinois.
Mary Wilson Porter married Miller E. Smith in 1829. Sarah Jane "Sally" married Franklin Smith also in 1829 both in Jefferson Co., Illinois. Both the Porter's and the Smith's came to Illinois from N.C..
I am Kay Markham at birdmarc@egyptian.net and they are my kin.
Thanks.

Posted: 26 Feb 2006 8:48PM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2006 8:01PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Mastin
Hello.... I am trying to find out about my father's family. His name was Lytle G. Porter and he was born and raised in Roaring River and later lived in Indiana where he and my mother are buried. I had two uncles, both deceased that I remember, Will and Jonah. I believe they still have family in RR. I was told that the Porter's came to the Carolina Colonies with an original land charter from the King of England. My father's mother is buried at the White Plains Baptist Church in RR. I also was told that my father's parents where divorced and she raised the children. There was a sister named "Duck" which I assume was a nickname. I only know bits and pieces and would like to learn more. Thank you. jenni

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 10:17PM GMT
My Grandfather was William F. Porter, brother to Jonah! Will's wife, my grandmother was Lessie Pruitt Porter. Will had 14 children, my mother is Pauline Porter.

Justine Price Hendricks

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 1:00PM GMT
Jennifer if you see this posting please send me your email or phone number I maybe could provide you with information and you in turn could provide me with pieces of information. My Aunt Elaine told me "Duck" was your fathers sister and yes that was a nickname.

I look forward in hearing back from you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic