Search for content in message boards

McGonigle/Coyle from Fanad, Donegal

McGonigle/Coyle from Fanad, Donegal

Posted: 27 Sep 2002 9:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Laslett, McGonigle, Coyle, Bruneau, Pelletier, Dion, Gosselin
I am currently researching my great grandmother, Mary Ann McGonigle from Fanad, Donegal. She was born about 1890 to Herny McGonigle and Susan Coyle. She had a sister named Katie and at least six brothers; John, James, Daniel, Michael, Henry and Joseph.

Mary Ann McGonigle came to Philadelphia, PA in or about 1905 and married John William Laslett.

Re: McGonigle/Coyle from Fanad, Donegal

Posted: 28 Sep 2002 7:53AM GMT
Edited: 7 Sep 2003 8:13AM GMT
Kelly,
If you are looking for records/information please note that the name McGonigle is generally recorded as McConigley in Fanad. My paterrnal grandmother was a Mary Anne McConigley (1886 - 1966) from Ballure in Fanad. Her father was a Patrick McConigley and her mother was a Mary Grant. I don't have any records that correspond to yours. However, the McConigley and Coyle surnames are quite common in Fanad.
Large numbers of people from Fanad settled in PA over the years, including my grandaunt Sarah Mc Conigley who lived in Pittsburg between about 1910 and 1923 before returning to Ireland.
Donal Friel

Frank McGonigal (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2002 1:29AM GMT
Surnames: McGonigal,Coyle, McGarvey, Quinn, Strain, Niven
That's very interesting Donal,my gr.gr.grandparents Hugh McGonigal and Sarah Coyle are listed in the Glasgow Scotland census of 1861 as born in Ireland,no County.
He was a tailor by trade.
I've been searching for years to find their births,but as they were born abt.1815 I don't have much hope of finding them.
Do you find any cases where McConingley was changed to McGonigal when they went to another country.
Frank McGonigal
Ont Canada.

Posted: 1 Oct 2002 1:34AM GMT
Surnames: McGonigal,Coyle, McGarvey, Quinn, Strain, Niven
Kelly , see my reply to Donal .
Frank McGonigal Ont Canada

Kelly VanOsten (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2002 2:34AM GMT
Surnames: Laslett, McGonigle, Coyle, Bruneau, Pelletier, Gosselin, Davish, Greninger
Frank,

We seem to be researching the same names, although I can't make out a connection bewteen them. My great great grandfather was Henry McGonigle and he married Susan Coyle, I believe they were born around the 1850s or 60s. They were from Donegal and to my knowledge did no come from Scotland. I have only just started researching this branch of my family and do not know much else. It will be interesting to see what turns up over time.

Posted: 1 Oct 2002 9:28PM GMT
Frank,
I don't have very much on the McConigleys/McGonigles. You are correct in your supposition that it is difficult to trace ancestors in the early 19th century. Local records - both church and state - only started to emerge in Ireland in a signifcant way from about 1850 onwards. However, as with Kelly, it is reasonable to assume that your ancestors were from Donegal.
I don't really know much about the various spellings of the name. However, I have noted some differing spellings (McConigley and McOnigley) of the name in school roll books in Fanad during the latter part of the 19th century. It is probable that these families were related and I guess that the different spelling were the various teacher's best guesses as to the spelling of the name. Like many other Irish names, it is the english version of an old gaelic family name.
Your Scottish connection is not unusual as it was very common for Donegal people to emigrate to Scotland - particularly to the Glasgow region - in search of work. There are still strong connections between families in Scotland and Donegal. As the crow flies, Scotland is only about 100 miles from Donegal and was relatively easy for Donegal people to access.
Hope that this is of interest,
Donal Friel

Posted: 2 Oct 2002 1:47AM GMT
Donal
Thanks for your reply.It's my understanding that the names McGonigal,McConingley and McConville all come from the Gaelic MacConghail.
Also there is a basis for McGonigal and Cunningham in the Inishowen name MacDhonaigle according to some researchers.
I sometimes wonder who we can believe,don't you ??
Anyway thanks for an interesting discussion.
Cheers
Frank

Posted: 13 Oct 2002 11:49PM GMT
Edited: 10 Nov 2002 2:25AM GMT
Surnames: Crosson/Coyle/Cannon/Slaughter/Freels/Freil/Friel/Rils(?)
Dear Donal,

I reached this site by putting Crosson in a search box...but I find quite a few names from a side of my family that I have not had time to research. I am wondering if these names are common just to this county...or if they are common in other parts of Ireland.

Crosson/Coyle/Cannon/Slaughter/Freels/Freil/Friel/Rils(?)

I am originally from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA and there was a lot of Irish immigration here after Louisiana became a state in 1803. From what you say, I may have a problem tracing them back to Ireland...since they left so early.

Thanks,

Debbie Smith

Posted: 16 Oct 2002 9:04PM GMT
Debbie,
I guess that Freels/Freil are variants of Friel. That name, along wth Coyle and Cannon are Donegal surnames - there are several families with these surnames in Fanad, Co. Donegal. I don't know if Crosson is originally a Donegal name but I suspect that it is originally from the northern part of Ireland -possibly Donegal or possibly from adjacent counties such as Tyrone.
Slaughter is definitely not originally an Irish name, I suspect that it is English, though it is found occasionally in this country -it is quite rare. I have never hearrd of Rils -it sounds Dutch or German.
It is extremely difficult to trace people here pre 1850. I think that those records that do exist are often American records where people arriving from Ireland gave some details of their birthplace or similar.
I hope that this is of some help.
Donal Friel
Posted: 28 Oct 2002 11:23PM GMT
Edited: 13 Dec 2002 11:27AM GMT
Surnames: Harkin/Harkins/Murray
Donal I wonder if you could help me. I see your name keeps popping up and you seem to be very knowledgeable about Irish names etc. My family came from Donegal, they were Harkin and when they got over to Glasgow the name changed to Harkins when my father was born. I am having great difficulty I know my gg grandparents names, Daniel Harkin (who was a master slater) and Helen Harkin (McCunnigan). The one thing I don't know is where they came from in Donegal. I have searched through the message boards etc but with no luck. My gr grandparents John Murray and Mary Murray (Welch/Welsh) were from Greenock. I cannot find their birth certificates and it was suggested that they came from Ireland. I feel as though I am banging my head against a brick wall - as we all do from time to time. Any suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to hearing from you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic