Search for content in message boards

John MAXWELL>PA, USA>VA, USA 1730s

John MAXWELL>PA, USA>VA, USA 1730s

Posted: 9 Dec 2001 11:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Apr 2002 12:46AM GMT
Orange County, VA, 24 July 1740: John Maxwell "states under oath that he imported himself, Margaret, John Jun., Thomas, Mary, and Alex Maxwell from Ireland to Philadelphia and from thence to this Colony ...." I am trying to prove that this John Maxwell is the one who married Mary Carson 10 Jan 1726/1727 in Saul Parish, Co. Down.

Re: John MAXWELL>PA, USA>VA, USA 1730s

Posted: 25 Jan 2002 3:16AM GMT
Surnames: MAXWELL[john]
i'm trying to find out anything on a john maxwell that was married to a mary wiseman a native american whom had at less 5 kids i know of, please e-mail me withany information
thanks alot dvprit@earthlink.net

Posted: 25 Jan 2002 3:34AM GMT
Edited: 8 Apr 2002 12:46AM GMT
Surnames: MAXWELL, MATHEWS, CROWE, ROBERTS, CLAY, PEARIS, BROWN, DAVIDSON
My John MAXWELL was born in Ulster, Ireland (probably Downpatrick, Co. Down), where he married his wife Mary [CARSON?]. John and Mary immigrated to PA before 1740. They were in Orange Co., VA, by 1740, and then in Augusta Co. John died in Rockbridge Co. before 1786. Their children were John, Margaret, Thomas, William, James, Rebecca, Audley, and Sarah. I know of know connection with a Mary WISEMAN.

darlene elliott (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2002 12:45AM GMT
thank you for responding so fast it really is hard to find anything on them again thank you.
darlene

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 4:21AM GMT
My Robert Carson was in Lancaster Co PA 1750.

There were some Maxwwell records in Killyleagh Parish First Presbyterian 1690s-1740 along with Carson and other surnames.

Gary

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 1:14AM GMT
Surnames: MAXWELL, CARSON
My line has been disproved from the known CARSONs, but there are a number of MAXWELL researchers who connect with them. I recommend that you join the MAXWELL mailing list -- follow the instructions at http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/surname/m/maxwell.h.... Once you're subbed, you can post your interests.

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 9:09PM GMT
I'm currently working on following the same thread, the issue is that I can't nail down a birth year for John. Many sources show him being born in 1719 in Ulster, Ireland as the son of a George Maxwell (obviously this would preclude a 1726/27 marriage), but I've also found references to his marriage to Mary Margaret Carson 10 Jan 1737 in Ireland.

I also see the same John Maxwell (d. 1786 in Rockbridge, VA) with birth dates of 1690, 1701 and 1706 depending on the source, but none of these are verifiable records.

I'm still working on this, but it's a mess.

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 9:30PM GMT
Surnames: MAXWELL, CARSON
Please see my 26 Oct 2012 followup / correction. As you have discovered, there is a lot of misinformation both online and in various publications. My ancestor John MAXWELL, who imported himself and his family to Orange Co., VA, in 1740, is not related to the John MAXWELL who married Mary CARSON. Proven by DNA tests. See http://www.maxwelldna.com/results.html; my family is Group 7. Over the years, my cousins and I have scoured the extant records for 18th century Augusta & Rockbridge Counties (plus other records, too). No birthplace or date has been found for my John. We know we descend from him, but we may also descend from John Jr., too. Please contact me privately if you wish to pursue this.

Mary Richardson
mrichson@ix.netcom.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions