Search for content in message boards

Dunn County Asylum Poor Farm Potters Field

Dunn County Asylum Poor Farm Potters Field

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 4:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for any information on the above listed...stories, records, photos any thing! will explain why if wanted to.
thanks

Re: Dunn County Asylum Poor Farm Potters Field

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 4:47PM GMT
My 3rd great grandmother, Berit Andersdatter Moen, was an inmate there. The story in the family is that my 3rd great grandfather, Oleus Olsen Kjuus, had her committed so he could marry the housekeeper. It's something I've tried to learn more about, but I don't know that any records have survived. I've looked through the annual reports from the Asylum which are at the Archives at UW Stout, but they don't provide anything helpful.

While my grandmother lived there, she was joined temporarily by an uncle, John Olsen Moen, who was there because of mental issues, which I know from some newspaper articles and family stories.

My grandmother had a brother-in-law that was there too. He died there of cancer of the face and neck, but he'd been living and working there for some time, as he's enumerated as a resident (not inmate) in the 1905 and 1910 census.

And why do you want to know?

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 8:25PM GMT
Myself and others are in the process of trying to get the Potters Field Cemetery open to the public, and Ive been doing alot of research on inmates and patients of the Asylum.

If you would like to send me names and dates Id be happ to look for them for you as i dig further,,,,do you have anyone buried in this cemetery that you know of?

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 11:21PM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2012 11:22PM GMT
Surnames: Olson, Olsen, Moen, Anderson, Andersdatter, Nelson, Nilson, Nelsen, Nilsen
None of the people I mentioned are buried at Potters Field, but I would be interested in any information you find in the course of your research on the three people I mentioned, should you discover anything.

I'll provide a little more detail than I did earlier.

Berit Andersdatter Moen, aka Betsey Olson, aka Elizabeth Maria Olson, aka Betsey Anderson. Born 30 Nov 1850 in Målselv, Troms, Norway. Institutionalized at least from 1900-1920, as she is enumerated in the census for the asylum in 1900, 1905, 1910, and 1920. She could have been in the asylum as early as the 1880s, which would mean she lived there for the last 30-35 years of her life. She died 24 Dec 1920. Buried Evergreen in Menomonie.

John Olsen Moen, aka John Olson, aka John Moen. Born 6 Feb 1830 in Målselv, Troms, Norway. He is listed on p. 28 of the 1915 annual report for the asylum in the physician's section where he is reported as one of the deaths, the cause of which was old age. (The Colfax Messenger reports that it was following a bad fall.) He died 25 May 1915. He is buried at Evergreen in Colfax.

Martin Nelson or Nilson. Born 26 Jan 1846 in Norway. He is enumerated as a resident of the asylum in the 1905 where he is listed as a farm laborer in the section before the inmates are listed on sheet 10 (or page 355). He died on 2 Oct 1916 and is buried at Evergreen in Menomonie.

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 1:19PM GMT
I came across some early information on thru a free geneolgy website run by volunteers. Google Dunn County, it should pop up.

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 4:42PM GMT
Will try your suggestion to google Dunn County for information on the Dunn County Asylum. My great grandmother was a patient there. Found that out in the 1930 census. Would like to know why she was there. She died 2 years later in 1932. Have you found anything else in regard to the asylum/records?
Thanks!
Linda

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 12:31PM GMT
if youd like to send me more info i can possibly find some answers for you

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 4:15PM GMT
That would be great if you could unearth any kind of information at all. I've been hitting walls lately. The patient was my great grandmother Francis Mason who was a patient at the asylum in 1930. Don't know when she was first admitted or how long there. She was born in Pennsylvania about 1854. She married Joseph Mason and lived in the Pepin, Wis area. She died in 1932. Would like to know why she was there if possible or if she died there. A million thanks for any leads.
Linda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions