Search for content in message boards

Guyana genealogy

Guyana genealogy

John Adams (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Douglas, Telfer, Ritchie
I am writing the biography of Sir James Douglas, first governor of British Columbia, Canada (1858-1864.) He was born in Guyana (probably New Amsterdam or Georgetown) in 1803. His father was John Douglas of Glasgow, Scotland; his mother was Martha Ann Telfer; his maternal grandmother was Rebecca Ritchie (from Barbados.) His brother, Alexander Douglas, probably returned to British Guiana after working for the Hudson's Bay Co. in Canada (ca. 1824.) Looking for any possible family connections to these families.

Douglas, Telfer and Ritchie

Posted: 5 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2001 5:21AM GMT
Surnames: Douglas, Telfer, Ritchie
From my assorted notes on Guyana (British Guiana), I have extracted the following that may (hopefully) or may not (regrettably) be of assistance sometime.

Guiana Chronicle Friday 26 June 1835
Died yesterday afternoon, much regretted Margaret, youngest daughter of Hugh Douglas, Esq., formerly of this colony.

The Guiana Chronicle, Wednesday, December 18, 1839
An alphabetical list demonstrating the Respectability, Talent and Station of persons including planters and merchants who subscribed to the Dinner in honour of his Excellency THE GOVERNOR. shows: Sholto Douglas

Government Notice dated 1854 ..Pursuant to Ordinance No. 18, of the year 1851, His Excellency the Lieutenant- Governor is pleased to order the following List of Justices of the PEACE for the Colony of British Guiana, residing in the Counties of Demerara, Essequebo, and Berbice, respectively, to be Published for General Information:- Co. Essequebo: Douglas, John Alleyne Planter Wakenaam

The Official Gazette of British Guiana, Saturday 13 October 1855 List of men qualified to act as Jurors
Douglas, Charles Fox St. Saviour Carpenter Landed Proprietor, Corentyne Cst, Berbice
Douglas, Archibald New-A. Merchant Income

An index of BDMs in The Argosy Newspaper, Georgetown, British Guiana for 1880-1896 has the following entires: Douglas in 1882, no Telfer but one entry for Telford in 1894 and Ritchie in 1888, 91 and 92..

Copies of these newspaper are to be found at The British Library Newspaper Library, Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5HE England and also at the Public Record Office, Kew, Richmond Surrey TW9 4DU England and a copy of the full extractions is held at the Society of Genealogists, also in London.

British Guiana 1882 Directory has the following entries:
5 for Douglas, no entry for Telfer and 2 for Ritchie.

Douglas, Geo., compositor, 184 Waterloo Street
Douglas, R.A., clerk, Pasley, Templeton & co. Berbice
Douglas, S.L., Pan Boiler, L'Union, Essequebo
Douglas, T.C. clerk, S. Davson & co., Berbice
Douglas, W.A., clerk, S. Davson & co., Berbice.

Ritchie, Alexander, Overseer, Philadelphia, West coast, Demerara
Ritchie, D., Overseer, Bath, Berbice.

Regret I have no further information.
Tikwis
Researching in Guyana: Bagot, Cuming, Ferguson,, Forbes, Forte, Gardiner, Loxdale, McMahon, Macnamara, Stack, Steele and Walker.

Thanks

John Adams (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Thanks for the information from your files. The Douglas families in Guyana seem to be numerous and I believe some of your sources do pertain to the family I am looking for. The Ritchie and Telfer names are more of a puzzle. The name Sholto Douglas is an unusual one and one also appears in British Columbia, but I do not believe there is a close (or any) relationship between that family and the one of Sir James Douglas, first governor of British Columbia.

John Adams

Loxdale of Guyana

Hugh D. Loxdale (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: LOXDALE
Hello,

I am intersted in finding out more about George Henry Loxdale I (1808 - 88) who lived in Guyana from c. 1827 - 44 and married Sarah Bagot (c. 1811 - 57) of Berbice. The family moved to Liverpool after 1844, but several of their children were born in Guyana. They are mentioned on the 1851 - 81 Censuses for England. I have other information about them too and contacts.

George Henry Loxdale I father two children in Georgetown prior to his marriage in 1835, namely George Henry Loxdale II (1832 - 96) born in Georgetown and who married Emma Hayes (1838 - 94) in England in 1864. He became a Royal Navy Engineer in 1855 and was on HMS Warrior in the 1860s (which can still be seen preserved at Portsmouth, England). Later, he became a Board of Trade Surveyor at Cardiff and later still, Tynemouth. They had three sons and a daughter. One son, Herbert Horace Loxdale (1871 - 1910) had two daughters, one born in 1898, Lelia Blanche and one born in 1899, Maud. My wife and I met Maud in California in 1997 when she was in her 98th year! Her sister died in 1995, also in California.

GHLII also fathered a daughter, Sarah in the early 1830s. The mother was apparently Margaret Wilson of Guyana.

I would be pleased for any information about the Loxdales in Guyana.

Hugh Loxdale

Re: Douglas, Telfer and Ritchie

Posted: 5 Dec 2002 5:29PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter
Do you have anywhere in your records 1830s to 1860s in British Guiana details of the Hunter family - believed to be wealthy merchants. Children of Henry Hunter born in British Guiana in 1845 and 1847.

Any information gratefully received.

Re: Douglas, Telfer and Ritchie

Tikwis Begbie (View posts)
Posted: 7 Dec 2002 6:15AM GMT
Surnames: HUNTER
I've a note of a marriage of Mercy, daughter of James Innes of Pln. Orange Field, marrying a Mr. Henry Hunter on 16th March 1819 at St. Matthew's Church but I must have made a typing error re the date as I can't locate the source at present, probably the Guiana Chronical & Demerara Gazette.

Guiana Chronicle Monday 20 February 1837
Birth - At Haags Bosch, on Saturday last at 10 o'clock in the evening - Mrs John HUNTER, of a son.
Wednesday 8 March 1837 Died - On Saturday the 4th March -the Infant son of Mr. James HUNTER, aged six months.
I assume that you have seen the other later Hunters references on this site.
Nothing else at present.
Rgds
Tikwis

Loxdales

Richard Castle (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2006 9:51AM GMT
Surnames: Loxdale Skitt
Hello

I am trying to find a connection between my 3rd great grandfather, Henry Loxdale (b 1804 (maybe 1805) in Shrewsbury). I believe that he may be the grandson of Thomas Loxdale and Hannah Skitt, but I cannot establish who is father is. I wonder if you have uncovered anything that may assist.

I have also come across George Henry Loxdale who appears to have lived in B. Guiana for some time. I have not as yet fitted him in to the Loxdale tree, nor Edward Loxdale (born Shrewsbury 1812) who was an Independent Minister. Again if there is some guidance that you can give I would be grateful.

Re: Loxdale of Guyana

Posted: 26 Aug 2010 2:44PM GMT
Surnames: Loxdale
If you look up George Henry Loxdale on Google you will find quite a bit about him. The Loxdale family were well to do legal practitioners in Shrewsbury. Again you can find them on Google. My own family descend from Anna Maria Loxdale, who married Frederick Holmes
per page

Find a board about a specific topic