Search for content in message boards

Florence Masters

Florence Masters

Posted: 27 Mar 2001 6:38PM GMT
Edited: 6 Aug 2001 8:14PM GMT
Looking for parents of Florence Masters, born 2/21/1897, probably in Iowa or SD. She married Jay Evans.

Re: Florence Masters

Posted: 19 Mar 2002 10:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandfathers half sister is Florence May Masters. Though I think she was born Nov 19, 1893 in Wayne County, Iowa. Please respond if this could be the same Florence.

Posted: 22 Mar 2002 4:43AM GMT
Surnames: Masters, Evans
Leslie, thank you for responding. We have very little information about Florence, but given the closeness of our data, it's probable that this is the same woman. The birth date I have for my grandmother is 2/21/1897. She was married and had her children in Iowa, so I presume she was married there, but I can't say for certain. She died in June 1984 in Vancouver, WA. She had 6 children: Lawrence (known as Dell), Edgar, Lester, Mildred, Robert (my father) and Jay. The children were born in Cherokee, IA and then they moved to Custer, SD. During WWII, they moved to Washington state. Please contact me at my e-mail address (devans47005@cox.net) to discuss this further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Posted: 3 Jun 2008 5:23AM GMT
I'm pretty sure this is Florence C. Masters, daughter of Daniel H. Masters and Mary Ann Moran. Her father was a soldier in the 21st U.S. Infantry from 1883 to 1893, and was stationed at Fort Randall, Dakota Territory and Fort Sidney, Nebraska, and left the Army at Fort Sidney with rank of Sergeant.

He and Mary Ann had a homestead in the Randall Valley of Gregory County, South Dakota and later the family moved to Lake Andes, Charles Mix County, South Dakota, on the other side of the Missouri River.

I know Florence was married in Yankton in 1918 to Jay S. Evans, and I think her brother, Lawrence, was married in about 1927 and was a lumber truck driver in Custer, South Dakota.

According to the 1930 U.S. Census of Lake Andes, the mother, Mary Ann Moran Masters, is shown as divorced. The obituary of Dan Masters says he lived with the Ernest Lingo family as a hired man, probably on their farm, in Ellston Township, Gregory County, South Dakota from about 1927. I'd guess his living there might suggest that Dan and Mary may have divorced about the time Lawrence married. In the 1930 census, Dan is shown as born in Illinois (his Army enlistments show he was born in Mt. Carroll), and his father is shown as born in the Irish Free State and his mother as born in Scotland.

Here's Dan's obituary notice. I think he died in April 1932. I know nothing more about the newspaper clipping it is taken from. It was in my grandparents effects, and they were neighbors of the Masters. In fact my grandmother's twin sister was married to Mary Ann Moran's brother, John F. Moran. (The notice may be in error about Mary Ann's death, because she was living in 1930, and there is a record of a Mary Masters dying in Yankton, South Dakota in November 1946. I'm not sure this is the same Mary Ann Moran Masters because an old cousin once told me she died in Academy, South Dakota.)

"Pioneer Resident Dies Suddenly. While attending the Junior play at the St. Charles high school Friday night, Dan Masters, 70, died of heart failure. The high school auditorium was crowded and it was thought that he had fainted and was carried to one of the class rooms, only to find that he was dead.
He was a soldier stationed at the old Fort Randall and was engaged under General Custer in several expeditions to subdue and punish renegade Indians. After the abandonment of the fort and his discharge from the army, he settled on a homestead in the Randall valley, and when Gregory county was organized he was selected as its first register of deeds. His wife died a number of years ago. A daughter resides at Cherokee, Ia. He made his home for the last six years with Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Lingo, near St. Charles."

Posted: 4 Jun 2008 12:40PM GMT
Surnames: Masters, Pike
It looks like you have your Florence Masters solved from the last message, but I will throw mine in, since she is within a decade, and in the same state, and (who knows) might be related.

Florence Masters (26 Mar 1905 - Oct 1979), b Wappello County, Iowa. Daughter of David Dana Masters and Eva Eliza Pike. Twin sister of Edith Masters. Wife of Bill Batten. Grand niece of Zebulon Pike.

(My mother is also Florence Masters, from Ottumwa, Iowa.)

My details for Florence can be found on my site:
http://www.voiceinverse.com/family/genealogy/getperson.php?p...

Good Luck,
Jerry Milo Johnson

Posted: 20 Jun 2008 4:21AM GMT
Surnames: Hornback, masters
Hi, Jerry. You may not remember me , I'm your cousin Cindy from Iowa. I live in Florida now.
How are you and family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic