Search for content in message boards

Some Powell Families found on the 1880 Census of Montgomery County, TN

Some Powell Families found on the 1880 Census of Montgomery County, TN

Posted: 10 Jun 2001 7:35PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 5:37AM GMT
Hi, here are the families listed in the index of the the 1880 Census of Montgomery County, TN. Unfortunately due to the Civil War being fought throughout TN, many libraries, government building, records, etc. were destroyed. So this is probably an incomplete list. It is my understanding that in Montgomery County, the majority of the records during that time were destroyed.

1. Albert Powell 14
Azelee 12

2. Clarinda Powel 20

3. Joseph Powel 50 -----This is part of our family! See that it is mispelled ( only 1 L in the Powell- in the 1850 it was spelled Powell)
Rebecca 49
George T. 17
William H. 12
James 5

4. Susan Powel 18

5. W. J. Powel 30
Mary 25
Maggie 6
Willie 4
Ebon 2

6. Archie Powell 29 (B)
Bettie 25
Henrietta 8
Peter 6
Nancy 1

7. Hansen Powell 30 (B)
Martha 28
M.L. 2 (f)

8. J. N. Powell 25 (m)
Cleve 32 (m)
W. B. 19 (m)

9. W. H. Powell 48 (m)
S.M. 48 (f)
S.E. 14 (f)
Luther 10

10. W. H. Powell 51 (m)
Lucie Ann 25
Mollie 21
Wm 22
Jane 19
John 18
Dora 14
George 11

11. W. W. Powell 22 (m)
Mary 35
J. B. 15 (f)
R. 12 (m)
G. A. 9 (m)
L. G. 2 (m)

Happy Hunting. Cindy Powell

Re: Some Powell Families found on the 1880 Census of Montgomery County, TN

Posted: 3 Oct 2001 10:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Apr 2002 11:58PM GMT
I JUST NOTICED ON ONE OF YOUR MESSAGES, THAT YOUR POWEL LINE HAS ONLY ONE 'L'. SO DOES MINE.. I NOTICED THE CHANGE WHEN I FOUND MY GGF, JAMES C. POWEL MARRIED HIS 2ND WIFE IN JEFFERSON COUNTY, ILLINOIS ON 6-6-1871. SHE WAS BORN IN PUTNAM COUNTY, TENN. ON NOV 5,1851. I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR HIS 1ST WIFE, AND FOR MARY JANE'S PARENTS.
JAMES C. POWEL ALREADY HAD 2 SONS WHEN THEY MARRIED. WILLIAM S. AND JAMES WASHINGTON POWELL.DO YOU HAVE ANY TIES TO THIS LINE, MAYBE.

James C. Powell b.? , m. IL in 1871 to Mary Jane b. 1851 in Putnam Co., TN

Cindy Powell (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2001 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: Powell, Powel
Hi, i have noticed that Powell and Powel are interchangeable spellings especially during the early and mid 1800s. At this point, I cannot confirm any connection to your James. However, several Powell families from Montgomery Co., TN did move to IL in the 1830s and 1840s. Several questions came to mind while I was reading your message. 1. Where was James C. born TN or IL? Do you know what Mary Jane's last name was before marriage - this was could look at 1860 and 1870 census of TN and IL to try to get parents name. Also, if you can get Mary Janes death cert, hopefully, her parents names are listed. If that don't work, see if you can find her obituary (or her siblings obits-if you know their names), many times the parents names are listed in the obit. Also, James obit or dc will give you some idea where he was born. Sorry I couldn't help at this time. Good luck, regards, Cindy Powell

Re: James C. Powell b.? , m. IL in 1871 to Mary Jane b. 1851 in Putnam Co., TN

Posted: 3 Oct 2001 4:02PM GMT
CINDY,
JAMES C. POWELL WAS BORN IN ILLINOIS, I JUST DONT KNOW WHERE. DOB ABOUT 1835. MARY JANE CARR WAS HIS 2ND WIFE'S MAIDEN NAME, BORN IN PUTNAM COUNTY,TN. ON NOV5,1851.I HAVE MAILED FOR MARRIAGE REGISTER COPY, IT SHOWS NOTHING. SO I MAILED FOR CERTIFIED COPY OF MARRIAGE LICENSE. TENNESSEE DOES NOT OFFER MUCH FREE INFO ON THE INTERNET.WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE ABOUT GETTING THE CERTIFICATES FOR INFO. BY THE WAY, YOU GIVE GREAT DETAIL ON THE MESSAGE BOARD. I ALWAYS LOOK AT YOURS. THANK YOU , DELL

Was James suspected children living with John and Caroline Dodson in 1870 Jeff., Co., IL

Posted: 3 Oct 2001 4:29PM GMT
Surnames: Powell
Hi Dell, thanks. Yes, I agree, not much on line for TN Archives or Putnam County. Different Counties, although, have a variety of things offered. Unfortunately, the most important info I've had to get at the archives. You probably have this, but here is good website to have easy access:

http://www.vitalrec.com/usmap.html

Then pull up state, then county, then related links. Works for almost any state and county.

For Jefferson County, IL - some good info on that site.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~iljeffer/

Were these James possible children living wih John and Caroline?

75/75 DODSON, John M 33 TN
Caroline 30 TN
POWEL, William F 3 IL
James W 2 IL

Curious, best regards. Billiardsbuff@aol.com Cindy Powell

Re: Was James suspected children living with John and Caroline Dodson in 1870 Jeff., Co., IL

Posted: 3 Oct 2001 9:42PM GMT
YES, THOSE ARE THE CORRECT BOYS. I FOUND THEM ON THE 1870 CENSUS FOR JEFFERSON COUNTY,ILL.I THINK JOHN DODSON DIED 9-25-1880 AND CAROLINE REMARRIED BENJAMIN WILLIS. HARD TO TELL SINCE I HAVE NOT FOUND HER MAIDEN NAME YET. FAMILY STORY TOLD WAS THAT THE POWELL BOYS WERE ADOPTED AND RAISED BY DODSONS. I HAVE FOUND THAT NOT TO BE QUITE TRUE. WHEN JAMES C. POWEL MARRIED MARY JANE CARR THEY MIGRATED TO LAMAR COUNTY,TX. IN 1880. THEN ON TO WICHITA COUNTY, WHERE THEY HAD 7 CHILDREN TOGETHER ALONG THE WAY. HAVE OTHER INFO OFF THE TEXAS CENSUS.

Copy of 1860 TN census for Carr Surname

Posted: 3 Oct 2001 11:48PM GMT
Surnames: Powell, Carr
Hi Dell, just happen to go to the archives today, to try to find more on my Joseph Powell - no luck - time to take a break! Looked at Putnam County for 1860. There were a few Mary Carr's 7 - 13 yrs old. I copied the pages of 1860 TN census for Carr surname if you would like them. Email me your po box address or address and I'll send them to you. It could be that her parents moved to IL before 1860 census was taken though. Good luck, cindy powell

Re: James C. Powell b.? , m. IL in 1871 to Mary Jane b. 1851 in Putnam Co., TN

Lola L. Allen (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2003 11:40PM GMT
Surnames: CARR, POWELL
I don' t know if this will help or not, but Mary Jane (CARR) POWELL wasn't born in Putnam Co., TN. She was born in Hamilton Co., TN. She was the daughter of Samuel M. CARR and Christina ROBERTSON. Go to <http://www.hctgs.org/Families/carr_samuel.htm>; for more information. I have posted Samuel M. CARR's family information on the Hamilton County Tennessee Genealogical Society Internet site. You may contact me at llallen@onramp113.org.

Posted: 20 Oct 2013 9:47PM GMT
Who did Maggie marry I have Maggie that was married Tom Russell. She was born 1883 and died 12-29-1935 in Jackson Co TN they are buried in Dixon Spring. Having trouble with her parents and G-parents.

Posted: 20 Oct 2013 10:44PM GMT
Seen your message and was wondering if you may have put it on wrong board as I see nothing in other comments about a Maggie Powell marrying a Tom Russell but would be very interested in your Maggie as you mentioned a Tom/Thomas Russell and Jackson Co., Tennessee. If you can tell me what you know I may be able to help you as I work with Powells out of Smith Co.,Tn and into Jackson.
Tamara
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions