Hicks of SC

Hicks of SC

Ann Bailey Weisel (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2002 8:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hicks, Kyles, Nodine, and Waldrop
Obits published in Spartanburg Herald
Alexander Lee Hicks published June 26, 1930
Greer, June 25: ---Alexander Lee Hicks, 58 died Tuesday night at the Chicks Spring Hospital after an illness of two weeks. Mr. Hicks lived in the Appalache Mill Village where he had resided for the last two years. His home was formerly near Pelzer. Surviving are his widow who was Miss Nettie Kuyles and the following children: Miss Ronie Mae and Mary Lee Hicks both of Apalache, Charlie Hicks of Easley, Gainow, Inglesby and John Henry Hicks all of Appalache. ( I believe should read Ingles Bee Hicks not Inglesy), and one half brother John Boyter of Greenville.
Obit continues with burial at Guthrie Grove Baptist Church Cemetery

In the Nov. 11 1943 Spartanburg Herald
John Henry Hicks
Chesnee, Nov. 5-- Funeral services for John Henry Hicks, 63 of Chesnee who died suddenly this afternoon in Columbia will be held Sunday at 4 o'clock at the Piedmont Baptist Church with the Rev. Glenn Felmet(Pelmet) assisted by the Rev. Charles Sims officiating. Interment will be in the church yard.
Surving are his wife: 5 sons Berry Hicks of Edison TN, Amiel Hicks , Clarence Hicks and J. B. Hicks of Chesnee and Doris Hicks of Churchill, Tenn. four daughters Nora Hicks and Maggie Hicks at home, Mrs. Clara Nodine of Harris, NC, and Mrs. Elmer Martin of Chesnee, four sisters Mrs. Doris Linder of Rutherfordton, NC , Mrs. Bess Jolley of chesnee, SC , Mrs. Nan Potter of Spartanburg and Mrs. Lula Emory of Popular Springs; also a number of grandchild

03/181949 spartanburg herald
I.B. Hicks ( Ingles Bee)
Ingles Bee Hicks , 37 a resident of rt. 3 died Thursday morning at 5 following an illness of the past 6 months.
Mr Hicks was born and reared in Anderson county and was a son of Mrs. nettie Kyles Hicks and the late Alexander Hicks. he had been a resident of this section for the past 20 years and was a member of the Guthrie Grove church of God.
Surviving are his mother: his wife the former Miss Annie Waldrop of Greer Route 3, one daughter Miss Kathleen Hicks of Greer; one son Marion of Greer; 3 brothers Ganow H. of Piedmont, Charlie of Easley, and John Henry of Greer; and two sisters Mrs. Sam Lister and Mrs. Toy Edge of Greer.
The obit goes on stating burial at Guthrie Grove Cemetery and one of the pall bearers is Thomas Bailey.
Interested on info on the above. Thanks Ann

Re: Hicks of SC

Posted: 5 Sep 2002 3:04AM GMT
Surnames: Hicks
Help...if you can. I am seeking information in my Hicks line from SC. I have a William Hicks, b. 1792 ?? SC. I believe his father is Richard Hicks...but I am "brick walled". If you have any information, please share.

Best,

Greg Hicks

Posted: 5 Sep 2002 1:18PM GMT
Surnames: Hicks, Kyles, Nodine, Waldrop, Bailey, Boiter
I do not think that I will be much help to you. I do have two William Hicks but I don't believe the one you are looking for. My William Hicks was born abt 1807 but I believe Rutherford Co. NC but spent a good part of his life in Greenville Co. SC.I will mention some names to see if you have any similar. Alexander Lee, John Henry, Ingles Bee (Englesbee), Charlie, and Gainow. Also, I have some info info on R.D. Hicks b Rutherford Co. NC. In the 1840 census of Pickens Co. there are several Hicks, Samuel, Daniel, Reuben, Baylis, but don't recall a William.I'll go thru my notes and see if I can find anything to help. Ann

Greg Hicks (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2002 1:32PM GMT
Thank you so much, but I think you are right...the lines are not the same. Best, Greg

Posted: 5 Sep 2002 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: Hicks, Kyles, Nodine, Waldrop, Bailey, Boiter
I must make a correction. My William Hicks was born in SC. I found him in the 1830, 1850 census in Greenville Co. SC. Close by I found another William Hicks age 60-70. Also, close by a Thomas ,Samuel, and several more which I am trying to make out their ages and correct name. In 1790 in Laurens Co. SC, I found a William Hicks and a Richard Hicks close by. I know the 1830 is my William Hicks as the children match up. So let me figure out the ages and all the names and I'll get back with you. I am hoping that the 1790 matches up with the 1830 as many of my Bailey relatives lived in Laurens Co. SC for awhile. Ann

glhicks@semo.net (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2002 3:45PM GMT
Thank you so much. I have Bailey lines from Indiana...would you like a copy of my GED file? Let me know. Best, Greg

Posted: 5 Sep 2002 6:04PM GMT
A copy of your GED sounds good. Let me separte my Hicks from some of the others and I'll send you what I have. Now on the 1790 Laurens SC census, I show William to have one male over the age of 16 and 5 free white females. Richard Hicks has 1 male over the age of 16, 1 male under the age of 16 and one free white female. I am still working on the 1830 names and dates. If you are interested I can try and send you the census and see what you think. Ann

Posted: 5 Sep 2002 11:42PM GMT
Ann, Thanks again. I will sort the Hicks line out and send the file on Friday if that is OK with you. Anything you have would be welcome to me. I've been stuck here for a long time...my e-mail is ghicks@tcmax.net. For some reason is shows an old addy on my screen. When I figure out how to change that I will...Have a good evening. Greg

Posted: 6 Sep 2002 12:47AM GMT
Sounds good to me. I probably won't have mine ready til Sunday as I am trying to figure out this new find. I think I said my email was raweisel@bellsouth.net. Ann

Greg Hicks (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2002 12:51AM GMT
Great...I hope we can share...and I hope the lines cross. Best,

Greg
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions