Search for content in message boards

Barthelemy Cemetery

Barthelemy Cemetery

Posted: 16 Jun 2002 12:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Mar 2006 4:50PM GMT
Surnames: Ancar,Barthelemy, Treadaway
Hi,
Does anyone know if the burials at Barthelemy Cemetery in Diamond were published, and so where?
Thanks
sally

Re: Barthelemy Cemetery

Posted: 10 Jul 2002 10:29PM GMT
Surnames: Sylve
Sally,
Where is this cemetery located?

Tom Walsh (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2005 1:44AM GMT
Surnames: Barthelemy, Ancar, Bartholomew
I would also be interested in the location of the Barthelemy cemetery of anything related to the name in Plaquemines Parish. I have also noticed that there are streets with family names. Is there a connection between the street names and family history? I am looking for a Bernadette Barthelemy or her father Michael Barthelemy.

Ancar, Barthelemy,Bartholomew

Joyce McCorkle (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2005 4:02PM GMT
I am working on our daughter in laws family history. Her great grandmother was Bernadette Barthelemy.Bartholomew Ancar and great grandfather was Eustin Ancar. Would love to exchange information if this is the Bernadette you are looking for.

Posted: 17 Dec 2006 1:35AM GMT
Barthelemy Cemetery is in Diamond, about 1-1/2 miles below the old St. Jude Church location, or the upper entrance to that community. The only publication on burials are those on obituaries, mostly in The Times-Picayune. It appears to date from or before 1795 by the Archdiocese records Funeral books(an internment at the cemetery of Barthelemy Baptiste). None of the local genealogcial quarterlies listed it in their inscription/descriptions. Most of the families who were "of color" buried there, especially if they lived between West Pointe a la Hache and Potash on the West Bank of Plaquemines Parish. It was in good shape before Katrina, but some of the sarcophagus type tombs popped open and caskets floated away. Surnames of Barthelemy, Ancar, Sylve, Fitte, Lafrance, Espadron, St. Ann, Dinet, Duplessis, and Encalade are common on the inscriptions available. If they were listed in funeral books of local churches, St. Thomas, St. Patrick, and St. Jude would be the most probable ones to research.
These free people of color were listed as Negro as early as 1770, but a native of Louisiana aged 60(Fanchon, grandmother of Barthelemy Baptiste, whose sons used the surname Barthelemy), would have no manumission record, since she was never a slave, being born to Indian parents before African slaves were imported into Louisiana. Many did eventually marry into families with actual black ancestry from former African slaves, so the exact racial mix is unclear in most of the descendants.

Posted: 23 Mar 2012 7:50AM GMT
I am not sure about burial records but I do have post-Katrina photos taken at this graveyard. You may contact me if you are looking for ones that I have I would be happy to share.

brinkley@goldmail.etsu.edu
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions