Search for content in message boards

Census Pre - 1870 In Hoya or Axstedt, Hannover

Census Pre - 1870 In Hoya or Axstedt, Hannover

Tracey (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2002 11:49AM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Mehlhop/Mehlhopt/Heibrock
Hi
I was wondering if anyone knew if a census is available for these areas?
Hoya, Hannover
and also
Axstedt, Hannover
If so where can I find them? Is there an address I can write to?

Many thanks for any info supplied.
Kindest regards
Tracey

Re: Census Pre - 1870 In Hoya or Axstedt, Hannover

Stefan (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2002 5:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Tracey,
try the parishes of Hoya and Axstedt by mail!

Ev.Luth. Kirche Hoya
Kirchstr. 14
27318 Hoya
Germany
or
Tel (0)4251/2263 ( in German)

Ev.Luth.Kirche
Axstedt
27729 Axstedt
Germany

or
Tel. (0)4748/2372 (in German)

Stefan

Jens Mueller-Koppe (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2002 8:52PM GMT
Hi Tracy,

You can access the Hoya and Exstedt parisgh registers at the parishes of the Ev.-Luth. Landeskirche Hannover - or when it comes to the pre-1853 period at the Kirchenbuchamt Hannover (church archive).

But the census records are not at the parishes but at the State Archives - for Hoya in Hannover and for Axstedt in Stade. There were census taken in the former Kingdom of Hannover in 1833, 1836, 1839, 1842, 1845, 1848, but the first real census in the today`s sense of the word was taken in 1852. All inhabitants, including wifes, chikdren, poor, day-labourers, even people who were in jail were listed with their age, their profession, their address.
Such census records exist for 1852, 1855, 1858 and 1861 but they are not preserved for all districts (Aemter) - but for most of them they are. The preserved records are wide spread over a number of archives. What it even more surprising and irritating is that there is no database of these census records, no name index and no project to do such a research. It would be possible to get an address book of most parts of the Hannover Kingdom out of these records, but that surely means to do years of research work.
Last year I planned to start this research as a major project of my research service buisiness, but do to some money problems (some sponsors cancled their support short-termed) I had to stop it for the moment beeing. But this is surely still one my mind and on my future to-do-list. After there are a great number of families all over the world, who only know that their ancestors were "from Hannover" this is a source badly needed.

Well, back to you question. I have the 1852 census of Hoya (and the area) around right here at my office. So if you want to know about a certain family or person, just drop me a line and I can send you if he/she is listed.

Best greetings from Germany,

Jens Mueller-Koppe
HISTORICAL RESEARCH SERVICES, Germany
www.hist.de

Tracey (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2002 7:15AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Mehlhop/Mehlhopt
Hi Jens

Yes I would love you to look on the 1852 Hoya census for me that would be wonderful.

I am looking for the name: Mehlhop (possible spelling Mehlhopt)

Mehlhop, Heinrich Johann
Mehlhop, Heinrich Wilhelm
Mehlhop, Johann
Mehlhop, Heinrich Deidrich

Birth date estimated between the years 1836 - 1849.

Possibly they are the same person, they list Hoya, Hannover as their birth place.

any help would be most greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

Kindest regards
Tracey

Posted: 13 Jan 2002 10:43AM GMT
Hi Tracey,

I have checked the 1852 census of the town of Hoya, but unfortunately there is no Mehlhop at all listed!
It might be possible that the family had left Hoya before 1852 or moved in after 1852, but I guess that the place of orgin/birth Hoya did not refer to the town Hoya but to the Amt (district) Hoya. We can find the Amt as the place of origin in many cases, namely for people from small villages.

The Mehlhop surname was and is quite common in the Hoya area and it is clearly concentrated there! The orgin of the name is quite clear as well: There is a single farm called Mehlhop which is located about 20 kilometers west of Hoya (part of the village community Affinghausen, Sudwalde parish, Amt Bruchhausen - but the Amt Hoya is just close by).

The Amt Hoya had 11 parishes - Hoya, Buecken, Eystrup, Hassel, Wechold, Eitzendorf, Magelsen, Oiste, Martfeld, Hoyerhagen and Asendorf. After the Sudwalde and Wietze parishes, possibly even Vilsen might be a chance as well this seems to be a great area to check, especially if you do not know exact birthdates and if there are some uncertaincies about the names.
Based on my family name databases* I would say (if the place(es) of birth were not Hoya itself, Asendorf, Bücken and Wechold would be the best chances.

* I found that the name appears (amongst other villages) in
Mehlhop, Engeln, Kampsheide, Warpe, Wechold and
Hassel. Your ancestors are not listed in the 1852 census
of Warpe (for which I have copies).

It would be possible to check the parish registers of these parishes (plus Hoya) or the census records. I can offer research assistance for both approaches, so if you are interested in a research plan and estimate, please contact me direcetely via my e-mail address.
If we would have the census records of all parishes above (which are all preserved for 1852 and all in one archive - the State Archive of Hannover) in a database it would take some minutes to find your ancestors - at least the most probable candidates. But right now we are (still) dependent on checking the orginal sources step by step, village by village and parish by parish.

Well, I am sorry that I am not able to come back with better news.

Jens

Jens Mueller-Koppe
www.hist.de

Tracey (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2002 11:18AM GMT
Hi Jens

Thankyou so much for your kindness in looking up my Birth name Mehlhop. I appreciate your time in doing this. As for me well back to the pen and paper I guess I will have to write to all parishes in the area.

Do you have a list of addresses by any chance?
And one last question if you don't mind But you mentioned a town called Mehlhop? Where is that located on a map?

Well thanks again for your help
Tracey

Re: Census P.S. I forgot to ask

Tracey (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2002 11:22AM GMT
Hi again

Sorry I forgot to ask you if the town "Axstedt" is in the district of Hoya?

Many thanks
tracey

Re: Axstedt- location and parish registers

Posted: 13 Jan 2002 11:51AM GMT
Hi Tracey,

Axstedt is far away from Hoya. It is located half way between Bremen and Bremerhaven, 10 kilometers south of Beverstedt. Axstedt has belonged to the Bramstedt parish (7 kilometers west of Axstedt).

The Bramstedt parish registers are only preserved from 1779 on, but there are earlier handwritten copies of the orginal records (for 1715-1726, 1746, 1750/51, 1759-1763 and from 1765 on), so called "Zweitschriften" at the State Archive Stade.

Please take a look at my website for lists of all preserved parish registers of both the Bramstedt and Hoya area
http://www.hist.de/KB-hannover.htm
-> Church districts Hoya and Wesermuende-Sued
respectively

Best greetings,

Jens

Jens Mueller-Koppe
www.hist.de

Posted: 13 Jan 2002 11:57AM GMT
Hi Tracey,

I do not have a list of the parish addresses readily available.
You surely will not find Mehlhop on a regular map after it is not a town, not even a village, but a single farm.
Just search for Affinghausen (13.5 km northeast of Sulingen, 7 km northeast of Schwafoerden, 3 km southeast of Sudwalde) and you will know were Mehlhop is located.

Jens

Jens Mueller-Koppe
www.hist.de

Re: Census Thankyou

Tracey (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2002 12:08PM GMT
A big thankyou, I am just looking around your website now.

thankyou and Happy New Year.

Kindest regards
Tracey
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions