Search for content in message boards

MINTON

MINTON

J Minton (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query

Looking for family of Supreme court justice Sherman MINTON. Does anyone know who his parents were, siblings? He came from Georgetown in Floyd Co. IN. we think. We live in MA. but the family comes from So. IN.

Thank youm So. IN.

Thank you

MINTON

Dennis Cooper (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
My grandmother's maiden name was Minton. Her father's name was Alonzo. I believe he was born in Louisville, Ky. My parents always stated that we were decendants of Sherman Minton. Whether he was Alonzo's father or not, I do not know at this time. Hope this helps.

HALEY, MINTON

Diana Woodward (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
I was looking in the Floyd County query page and found your notice. I live in northern Indiana, grew up in Floyd County and was born in Orange county Indiana. I am a descendant of the Minton family. My grandmother was a Minton. Sherman's father was John E. Minton, his father was Jonathan Minton, and his father was Evin Minton. I would be willing to share information with you if you would do the same. There is a biography of Sherman Minton that is out now with information in it also. There are still descendants of his in southern Indiana. Diana Woodward

SHERMAN MINTON

Posted: 10 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 May 2002 5:15PM GMT
Surnames: MINTON, GURTZ
Sherman Minton was married to Gertrude Celine Gurtz who is my second cousin twice removed. I have some information and would be glad to share. I was born and raised in New Albany, Floyd County, but live in Virginia now.

Linda (Tindle) Money
lmoney@erols.com

Re: HALEY, MINTON

Posted: 5 Aug 2002 3:27AM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2005 2:52AM GMT
Diana,
My name is Angela Grant and I am from southern Indiana and am related to the Mintons. My line is Sarah (who married John P. Tackett) - Jonathan - Evan. I have been researching the Tackett/Minton line. Could you tell me if this line has any Cherokee or other indian blood? This is a rumor in my family and I am trying to prove or disprove this rumor. Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: MINTON

Posted: 23 Sep 2002 10:11PM GMT
Edited: 28 Sep 2002 1:29AM GMT
hello i was going threw the mintons, and seen your note i have lived in georgetown all my life if there is any thing i can help you with please let me know i can send you info or a pic of shermans home here in georgetown. or his burial plot he is burried where my family is . i am also a minton. but not of his decents. please fell free and let me know how i may help.

Posted: 13 Feb 2003 5:19PM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2005 4:44PM GMT
Surnames: MINTON, STONER
Hello Angela.

I'd appreciate your help with Sarah C. Minton (md John Tackett). I hope this won't be confusing! <G>

I had Sarah in my files as a daughter of my Thomas Mintons' first marriage to Matilda Moore, based on the 1860 CENSUS record for KY, Grayson, Grayson Springs, p. 360, dwelling 84, family 84 which lists:
Thomas Minton, 42, Master carpenter, b. KY; Matilda Minton, 32, Housewifery, b. KY; Mary E., 14, b. IN; Marilda R., 13, b. IN; Samantha I. [?], 12, b. IN; Sarah C., 8, b. IN; William V., 6, b. IN; Frank W., 2, b. IN with Wm. Montgomery, 32, apprentice Carpenter, b. KY. (As well family data indicated that my GGgrandmother, Mary Stoner, who was Thomas 2nd spouse, was from Clark co, IN.)

Right next door in dwelling 85, family 85 are William Minton, 32, apprentice Carpenter, b. KY; Margaret A. Minton, 33, Housewifery, b. KY; Mary, 14, b. KY; Nancy, 13, b. KY; Matilda, 10, b. KY; Sarah, 8, b. KY and Beverly L.C. Minton, 3, b. KY. So, if not for the middle initial listed for Thomas' daughter, she could also have been d/o William, who was brother of Thomas Minton.

Your records indicate her father as Jonathan Minton, if I understood correctly. Can you please share your source for the line? I'd sure appreciate your help and would like to get this correct.
Thanks!
Jamie in CA

Re: MINTON

Posted: 10 May 2003 2:50PM GMT
Surnames: Hawn, Green, Cruze, Houser, Emert, Decker, Hoke, Leffler, Blalock
Hello,

I was searching through the Floyd county message board and found your message and noticed that your name is Decker.

I recently found an obituary in the New Albany Daily Weekly Ledger for Walter Hawn. One of his surviving daughters was listed as Mrs. Emma Decker. I was wondering if she might be one of your ancestors. If so, you and I might be cousins as Walter Hawn is my first cousin twice removed.

Here is the text of the obit:

From The New Albany Daily Weekly Ledger
August 27, 1924

Dies From Heart Trouble

Walter Hawn, 54 years old, died at 2 o’clock Tuesday afternoon at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Emma Decker, 1829 Center street, following an illness from heart disease.
Besides Mrs. Decker, he is survived by four other daughters, who are Mrs. Laura Key, Mrs. Julia Hoke and Mrs. Amelia Leffler, of this city, and Mrs. Orinday Blalock, Kansas City, Mo. Mr. Hawn was a member of Manzanita Tribe of Red Men, New Albany Camp; Modern Woodmen of America and of the Methodist church at Hancock Chapel, Harrison County.

Posted: 27 May 2003 1:10AM GMT
Edited: 25 Mar 2006 6:32PM GMT
Angela,
I have heard rumors from my parents that Mintons had an indian line, but have never been able to prove it.
Diana W

Posted: 13 Jul 2003 1:16AM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2005 2:52AM GMT
My info came from the 1860 Census of Indiana. Sarah was listed as the first daughter, then Hannah, then Nancy, Mary, Rebeca, Henry Clay, and John E.

I have a copy of the marriage certificate of Sarah and John P. Tackett - my great, great-grandfather. They were married in Scott Co. Indiana on 14th day of October 1870.

Hope this info is helpful. There may be more than one Sarah. It was a common name.
Sincerly,
Angela Grant
email - sheldent@cox.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions