Search for content in message boards

Elliott's of PA & MD - James Elliott b. c. 1715 d. 1 Nov 1783 Cumberland Co., PA

Elliott's of PA & MD - James Elliott b. c. 1715 d. 1 Nov 1783 Cumberland Co., PA

Ahamor (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2002 8:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jul 2008 6:10AM GMT
Surnames: Elliott, Hamilton, Bogle, Scott, Witherspoon, Bogle, White
I have a couple of questions:

Does anyone know who James Elliott b. c. 1715 d. 1 Nov 1783 age 68 buried Old Carlisle Cemetery, Cumberland Co., PA is? In same cemetery (looks like same plot) - Samuel Elliott b. 1795 d. 1 Aug 1863 age 68 and Caroline Elliott b. 1807 d. 31 May 1878 age 71 years.

Anyone know of a connection between the family of John Elliott Sr. of Carlisle, Cumberland Co., PA (b. c. 1712 d. 1782) and that of Robert Elliott of Hamilton Twp. Cumberland Co., PA (d. 1863) besides the intermarriage of their descendents.

Anyone researching or have information on:
James Elliott d. bef. 1798
sp. Margaret Hamilton d. 1798 of Guilford Twp., Franklin Co., PA
Children (per will of Margaret Hamilton Elliott)
John Elliott, James Elliott, Elizabeth Elliott Bogle, Rebecca Elliott Scott, Mary "Molly" Elliott Witherspoon and Jenney Elliott White (d. bef. 1798)

Re: Elliott's of PA & MD (western PA, 1800s)

Posted: 7 Jul 2002 9:58PM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2005 6:43PM GMT
Surnames: ELLIOTT
Am aware of the following Elliott's in 1800s, western Pennsylvania: William D. (b. cir 1844), wife Eliza J. (b. cir 1858), daughters Nancy and Ada, and son Joseph.

Re: Elliott's of PA & MD - Elliott website

Posted: 7 Sep 2002 5:00AM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2005 6:44PM GMT
Surnames: ELLIOTT
Check my website, "The Pennsylvania Elliott's", at
www27.brinkster.com/Mistyhawk12/

I have a lot of Pennsylvania Elliott info there.

Maybe you can find a connection.

Misty

Re: Elliott's of PA & MD

Timothy Ore (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2006 3:14AM GMT
Edited: 28 May 2006 9:18AM GMT
Surnames: Elliott, Fraustein, Hanna, Johnston, Hamilton, Thompson
I have been working on my Elliot(t) ancestors for several years now. Through this message board and the courtesy of Jeffrey Waite, I was able to discover and obtain the bible given by my great, great grandfather William J. (Johnston) Elliott to his son, Byron Elliott (my great grand uncle). I have also been able to obtain a genealogy of the family (done in 1976 by Rebah Fraustein d. 1990) which shows Willam J.'s father to be James (married to Sarah Margaret Hanna ( no reference given )) and James' father to be James (married to Mary Johnston (no reference for this information given).

This James (supposedly married to Mary Johnston) was said to have settled in York County, Pa. He became a Captain in the Revolutionary War. I also was able to find a book written by Eunice E. Elliott (died 1987). On the very last page there is information which seems to link James Elliott with Margaret Hamilton and the family you have listed. This book of Eunice Elliott's appears to be information and notes she utilized when writing an article for the "American Colonist". She has typed in "James Elliott married Mary Johnston", then crossed out "Mary Johnston" and written "Margaret Hamilton".

She also includes apparently a typed transcription of Margaret (Hamilton) Elliott's will which lists the children as you have indicated. There is also the statement "To my grandson James Elliott, son of John Elliott dec'd - 200 acres of land in Tyrone Twp. York County Pa." This would be in keeping with my Elliott family's story that Captain James received some land near Tyrone, Pa., although the family story was that he received it for military service.

If this connection is correct, then my James is actually the grandson of James Elliott and Margaret Hamilton through their son John. I have a transcription of James' will (he died between May and July, 1799. In it, he lists wife Mary, and children James, Marey, Margret, Jenney, John &Samuel.

I also have some additional information which states that John Elliott (b. circa 1715) came to Path (Cumberland) Valley with his brothers and sisters Benjamin, James, Matthew, Elizabeth, Margaret and Andrew. James had had a son named John while still in Ireland. I would speculate that this is the James who married Margaret Hamilton.

Two other items - Margaret Hamilton's sibling are shown as Jane and Phoebe. Her parents were Margaret (maiden name not given ) and James (who died prior to 1774). Also, Robert Elliott, of Hamilton Township is listed as a "relative" of John Elliott (B. circa 1715). It states "Robert Elliott, of Hamilton Township, with a son William known as Capt. Elliott, who settled in the West Newton area and among whose descendants were many fine families of Fayette County, among others, the late J.V. Thompson". West Newton and Fayette County are near Pittsburgh, Pa.

Is there any one out there who has more information on the "Path Valley Elliotts"?

Tim Ore

Re: Elliott's of PA & MD - Samuel ELLIOTT (a druggist), wife Caroline 1850 census Carlisle

Posted: 21 Jul 2008 5:43AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2008 6:12AM GMT
Surnames: ELLIOTT, GEORGE, HORTON, WHITEMAN,, WARREN
I'm not sure of any connections, but I've been researching the ELLIOTTs. Samuel ELLIOTT (a druggist) and wife Caroline appear on the 1850 census, in Carlisle, with their children:

Mary age 16
John age 14
Isaac age 12
Samuel age 9
Annabella age 6

I've found son Samuel (a printer) with his wife, Mary. E. in 1870, 1880, 1900, and Samuel alone in the Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers near Hampton, Virginia in 1910. In 1880, brother Isaac and niece Bella S.Uhler were living with Samuel and Mary.

I'm assuming Bella is probably the daughter of sister Annabella Elliott or older sister Mary Elliott.

Re: Elliott's of PA & MD - Re: Elliott's of PA & MD - Samuel ELLIOTT (a druggist), wife Caroline 1860 census Carlisle

Posted: 21 Jul 2008 6:13AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2008 6:12AM GMT
Surnames: Elliott
In 1860, Samuel and Caroline are listed with three of their children:

John W. Elliott, age 24
Samuel Elliott, age 18
Ann H. Elliott, age 14

Still living in Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania.

Whiteman surname

Posted: 30 Aug 2008 6:16PM GMT
Surnames: Whiteman
I notice you are researching the Whiteman surname. I have been trying to find parents of Mom's Granddad, John Clinton Whiteman for a lot of years. John Clinton Whiteman B: 1855
in IN (no county known). Family history says he was orphaned at an early age & raised by an "Ad" (Ab?) Stewart/Stuart (this is verbal history only) in MO (Lafayette Co, MO?-Waverly, MO?) been there to research but found no evidence of him there). Don't know if he was orphaned in IN or in MO. He was old enough at the time to remember he had siblings. Mom said when he was older he tried to find his siblings but didn't have any luck. I wondered if he was orphaned in IN & then the family who took him (relatives?
friends? or just some neighbor?) in moved to MO while the siblings remained in IN because he apparently never had any more contact with them.

Oral family history gave his parents names as Lewis/Louis & Jennie/Jenny. However when I obtained his death certificate father's name was shown as Samuel (my grandfather John Casey Whiteman was the one giving info-don't know where he had that name from) and mother's name "unknown".

First census have documented him on is 1880 after an extensive search. He was in Henry Co, MO at that time. Some censuses show his parents born in OH and some in PA. Do you have any missing Whitemans in your family tree that might be our John Clinton Whiteman?

A result of your requested PML search. To refine or cancel this search, please visit http://pml.rootsweb.com/

Re: Whiteman surname

Posted: 2 Oct 2009 3:03AM GMT
I've only done research on Whitemans who lived in Philadelphia, PA, and New Jersey during the 1800s. Wendell Whiteman is the one who married into my family. His father was Peter, his mother's maiden name was MATLACK, and his had a brother named Jacob. Wendell married Lydia L. HORTON, b. Rhode Island, but they were married in Philadelphia where her family was living. They had two children, a son who died young, and a daughter, Laura, who married Edwin H. COATES. They had a son and grandson named Wendell Whiteman COATES.

Re: Whiteman surname

Posted: 3 Oct 2009 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Whiteman
Doesn't sound like this is the same Whiteman line as mine. Thank you for your reply. The Whitemans' have been very elusive so I am always digging around in the haystack hoping to find the needle! Gayle

Re: Elliott's of PA & MD

Posted: 14 Oct 2009 12:51PM GMT
Do you have any info on the Jacob Elliott family from Md? One of his sons went to Ohio then to (W)Va. Namely Aquilla,
Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic