Search for content in message boards

Fulco Ballard

Fulco Ballard

Posted: 6 Jan 2009 4:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Fulco born before 1250 in Nottinghamshire, England and would be my 18 times grandfather. Please let me know if you have anything other than he had a son by the name of Fulco born before 1275 in Flanders, Belgium and then he had son after that named Fulco born in 1325 Sandhurst, Kent, England and then he had a son named Gregory George Balalrd born in 1350 who married Katherine Gregory.
Thank you.
Rhonda

Re: Fulco Ballard

Posted: 14 Jan 2009 9:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Rhonda, I have been researching medieval Ballard genealogies for nearly 30 years and can say with some confidence that unless you have managed to find a collection of primary evidence that has eluded me then you are most unlikely to be related to Fulco Ballard. Moreover, I can find no reference to a Fulco Ballard in Nottinghamshire in 1250 much less anything that says he was born there, no evidence of a Fulco Ballard born in Flanders before 1275 and no evidence that he had a son Gregory. Coming back in the other direction, there is no evidence of who Gregory Ballard's father was.

I have also failed to find any living descendants of this line in England and that would be a far easier task than proving a descent from overseas.

There is no such person as Gregory George Ballard, his name was Gregory and the George only arises because people confuse him with his supposed father, Sir George, who appears in Harleian manuscript 1076 and Stowe manuscript 644 both of which reflect the inventiveness of Thomas Ballard of Wadhurst in 1619 and the connivance of Phillipott in 1634 in making the Ballard ancestry an equal number of generations to those of Thomas Ballard's maternal line, the Whitfields.

Please forgive my robust rebuttal but as the researcher who first identified that Gregory's wife was indeed named Katherine Gregory then perhaps you will understand why I cannot let these "Urban Legends" go unchallenged.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions