Search for content in message boards

family crest or coat of arms

family crest or coat of arms

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 3:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
am looking for a family crest or coat of arms for surname "Staffieri".

Re: family crest or coat of arms

Posted: 16 Apr 2012 4:31AM GMT
What makes you think that there is one?
And where might it be located (country), if there is one?

Posted: 16 Apr 2012 4:15PM GMT
I dont know that there is one, was mostly wondering if there was, as most names have one. The name is italian.

Posted: 16 Apr 2012 11:48PM GMT
I think that you're labouring under a whole heap of mis-information. Arms are granted to a person, not a name. It's a pity that the arms you are looking for aren't SMITH or one of its derivatives - there're over 500 arms registered in that surname and, as the number indicates, they are registered for people, not the surname.
My initial search hasn't produced any arms registered in the name STAFFIERI, but I will keep looking and if I do find any, I'll post them here.

Posted: 17 Apr 2012 3:04AM GMT
ok thanks

Posted: 20 Apr 2012 12:11AM GMT
See the link below regarding Italian heraldry. Your reponder is correct. They were/are granted to individuals not families. The surname product business is a big scam.
When surnames were taken or assigned in Europe during the last millennium it wasn't impossible for legitimate sons of the same man to wind up with a different surname and still each could have shared his with others with no known relationship. The purpose was not to identify a man as a member of a family but just to better identify him, frequently for taxation purposes. Too many men with the same given name in the same town or village and they had to hhave a way of sorting them out. Surnames were just "words" that had a way of identifying a man such as indicating he was the son of another, his occupation, where he lived or some characteristic of description of him.

http://www.regalis.com/onom.htm

Posted: 20 Apr 2012 1:42AM GMT
thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions