Search for content in message boards

unknown Coat of Arms/family crest: Hudson, Mann, Castledine

unknown Coat of Arms/family crest: Hudson, Mann, Castledine

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jul 2012 3:29AM GMT
Surnames: Hudson, Mann, Castledine
I hope someone can help me. I think their is a family crest but I have idea what name it belongs to i was told that Irene Mann born Hudson 1922 Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England used it when showing her bull terrir dogs but it could belong to Hudson, Castledine or someother name I don't know. How can I find out about the crest? any help would be great thank you.

Re: unknown Coat of Arms/family crest

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 8:29PM GMT
It would be a great help if you had a description of the coat of arms for which you are searching. There are several different coats of arms belonging to different families named Mann, and I expect (without having looked them up) that the same is true for Hudson and Casteldine.

Is there any way you could give us a description of the arms you are looking for? Even a modestly detailed description in plain English (e.g., the shield is red with three white bells on it) would be of assistance.

David

Posted: 10 Jul 2012 3:28AM GMT
it is a guess i think it had something to do with a lion i was told it looked like a royal one. i hope that can help.

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 12:53AM GMT
{...to do with a lion i was told it looked like a royal one}
That's not much help at all.
...a royal Lion? What is that supposed to mean?
There are hundreds of thousands of arms containing a Lion!
How about posting an image of it so that we might be able to positively assist you.

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 4:19PM GMT
Doing a quick search through Burke's "General Armory" finds two different Mann coats of arms with lions on them, and two different Hudson coats of arms with lions on them, but no coats of arms at all for Castledine (under any spelling). This is not to say that these are the only arms for these names that have lions on them, only that these are the only ones in Burke, which only contains about 60,000 coats of arms for the British Isles. There may be others which do not appear in Burke.

However, in none of these arms are the lions the main element: in the Mann arms, there are three lions placed about a chevron (an inverted V shape); in one of the Hudson arms, there is one lion (and two boar's heads) placed about a fess (a wide horizontal stripe); and in the other Hudson arms, three lions appear on a fess, which fess is between three boar's heads.

So I don't see any of these coats being a good candidate for the arms you are seeking.

I'm sorry that we are not being of much assistance to you here.

David

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 2:35AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2012 2:56AM GMT
i wish i could show you it but i don't have it or know what it looks like anyway. thank you gjks for trying to help.

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 2:42AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2012 2:55AM GMT
thank you David for helping. one day i may find it.

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 4:39AM GMT
Far better for you to do your genealogy first - work backwards from yourself on your paternal bloodline first.

Posted: 20 Jul 2012 2:22AM GMT
thank you gjks for your help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions