Search for content in message boards

¿De donde son los Ocasio?

¿De donde son los Ocasio?

Posted: 8 Aug 2002 2:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Dec 2002 9:53PM GMT
Mi bisabuela Doña Guillermina Ocasio Montalvo, era de Arecibo. Pero tengo curiosidad de donde viene el apellido Ocasio. Muchos de nuestros apellidos tienen origen español, como lo esel caso de mi apellido Moreno que lo trajo mi tatarabuelo Juan Moreno de Castilla, España. He buscado y no encuentro si es de cualquier pais del mundo.

Cualquier ayuda sera agradecida.

Re: ¿De donde son los Ocasio?

Cesar Ocasio (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2002 5:43PM GMT
Surnames: Ocasio
The surname OCASIO is a Spanish habitation name, from places in the provinces of Almería and Tolédo (España). The placename, is probably of pre-Roman origin, and may be akin to the North-Eastern Italian place-names OCCA and OCCAGNO, which have been claimed to be of Ligurian derivation. The names of habitation, are derived from pre-existing names denoting towns, villages, farmsteads or other named habitation. Other classes of local names include those derived from the names of rivers, individual houses with signs on them, regions and in fact whole countries. As a general rule, the further someone traveled from his place of origin, the broader the designation. Someone who stayed at home might be known by the name of his farm or locality in the parish.

Someone who moved to another town might be known by the name of his village; while someone who moved to another county could acquire the name of the county or region from which he originated. The name is also spelt Occa and Occo. The associated coat of arms is recorded in Rietstaps Armorial General. (Occo). The origin of badges and emblems, are traced to the earliest times, although, Heraldry, in fact, cannot be traced later than 12th century, or at furthest the 11th century. At first, armorial bearings were probably like surnames and assumed by each warrior at his free will and pleasure, his object being to distinguish itself from others. It has long been a matter of doubt when bearing Coats of Arms first became hereditary. It is known that in the reign of Henry V (1413-1422), a proclamation was issued, prohibiting the use of heraldic ensigns to all who could not show an original and valid right, except those’ who had borne arms at Agincourt’.

The College of Arms (founded in 1483) is the Royal Corporation of heralds who record proved pedigrees and grant armorial bearings.

ARMS - Azure and eagle displayed Or

CREST – A demi eagle as in the arms.

MOTTO – No motto recorded.

ORIGIN – SPAIN

“Information regarding the Ocasio’s and the right to bear arms the official bodies are as follows:
England and Wales the College of Arms, officer in Waiting in London. The Lord Lion King of Arms in Scotland, In Ireland, The Chief Herald”

Cesar Ocasio (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2002 5:49PM GMT
In addition, I believe that the Ocasio moved from Northen Italy to Spain during the Black Death that killed 50% of the Europeans.

Many families moved during the Black Death period (300 years) to survive.

Possibly the Ocasio used all their wealth for the move, and the main reason to settle in Puerto Rico was to look for a new start in the New World.

a ocasio (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2003 5:39AM GMT
Ocasio derives from the word Oca meanig swan a place in ancient Spain ,as for the sio I have no info . In my research have found that the Ocasios first settled Puerto rico between the 1600 and 1700s also found that one or more Ocasios settled Chile and Mexico. If any information on the sio part of the Ocasio please post.

Walter Ocasio (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2003 4:41PM GMT
El verdadero apellido es Acasio en España cuando el apellido viene para el nuevo mundo se convierte en Ocasio,
Estos datos son historales en España..Gracias

marina ocasio (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2003 6:27PM GMT
Este mensaje es para Walter Ocasio, donde obtuvistes esta informacion??

Paul Ocasio-Arroyo (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2003 4:22AM GMT
Tengo entendido que Los Ocasio Provienen de Florencia, Italia. Existe un pueblado en Napoles llamado Ocasio..En una de mis investigaciones historicas, encontré uno documento [Notariales del Pueblo de Isabela 1843 ó 1844] el cual, señala una direccion en Xeres, España. Mi abuelo era de Bayamón...no lo conocí. Espero le ayude en algo...¿Conoce el significado del Nombre?

Luis J. Moreno Pérez (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2003 9:08PM GMT
Muchas gracias por la informacion.

En cuanto al nombre me parece que se refiere a Xerez España. En documentos viejos era normal cambiar la J por la X asi que seria Jerez España.

Posted: 5 Jun 2004 1:49AM GMT
hi my name is carmen
maybe you can share your info with me ?, and i could tell you what i know
my grandfather was francisco ocasio
and my great grandfather was nicolas ocasio

JOSE C OCASIO-BOSA (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2004 6:47PM GMT
MY ABUELO NAME WAS FRANCISCO S.OCASIO .HIS FATHER NAME WAS NICO OCASIO. IM FROM PENUELAS PR MAYBE YOU ARE MY COUSIN.YOU CAN CONTAC ME AT 2014 SE FLOWER MOUND RD LAWTON OK 73501 MY PHONE IS 580-248-4379 GOD BLESS YOU
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions